Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Myth busters: Addressing three common misperceptions in the NFL

[size=12pt]MARRDRO!!!
    MAKE SURE YOU DON'T READ THIS SINCE IT'S FROM SPORTS ILLUSTRATED AND THAT MEANS IT'S CRAP SINCE THEY DIDN'T PAY RICK REILLY A BUNCH OF MONEY TO WRITE ONE PAGE A WEEK!!!
    YOU TOO, BLV!!![/size]

For the rest of you, former NFL exec Michael Lombardi has started writing some FABULOUS pieces for SI.com, including this great one about 3 common NFL myths.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/michael_lombardi/05/14/nfl.myths/index.html?eref=si_nfl

[size=12pt]Myth busters: Addressing three common misperceptions in the NFL[/size]
    Michael Lombardi
    Posted: Wednesday May 14, 2008 12:31PM; Updated: Wednesday May 14, 2008 12:31PM

Nothing drives me crazier than watching an NFL game on television and hearing announcers trot out tired clichés when describing the action. What's worse -- many of these commonly-used phrases aren't even true.

You Must Establish The Run Early In The Game

Shut-Down Corners Are The Key To Good Pass Defense

The Turnover Battle Is The Key To Football
    Great great stuff in this article!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: Myth busters: Addressing three common misperceptions in the NFL

very nice read man. Thanks for posting this!

Much of the stuff in there had a lot to do with the Minnesota Vikings (in fact, I think he mentioned the Vikings more than any other team in the article)

The fact that the good playoffs teams ranked at the bottom in the first half and then at the top in the second says it all.
    Also, it's nice to see an expert that understand how important it was for us us for getting Allen.
    I remember people saying we should get a CB rather than a DE beacause we ranked at the bottom in pass defense. They would say it's not the DEs who get the INTs, but it's the CBs LOL!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Zeus" wrote:
    [size=12pt]MARRDRO!!!
    MAKE SURE YOU DON'T READ THIS SINCE IT'S FROM SPORTS ILLUSTRATED AND THAT MEANS IT'S CRAP SINCE THEY DIDN'T PAY RICK REILLY A BUNCH OF MONEY TO WRITE ONE PAGE A WEEK!!!
    YOU TOO, BLV!!![/size]

For the rest of you, former NFL exec Michael Lombardi has started writing some FABULOUS pieces for SI.com, including this great one about 3 common NFL myths.

=Z=
    You crack me up my friend.

;D

Admit it.
    You miss Reilly as well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Good stuff Z.
    Its always good to look at the big picture, or as Mr. Harvey used to say, "The Rest of the Story."

"They [the coaches] basically use us as chess pieces. How they position us to play this game, that's the main thing now. Whoever can make the adjustments the best and the fastest will probably have the edge." L.Coles, WR jets

But the West Coast offense is really a philosophy, not a system of plays. It's based on throwing the ball early in the game, building a lead, then running the ball to keep the lead.

No disrespect to any of the great athletes that play cornerback in the NFL, but if an offensive line provides good pass protection, no one can keep a wide receiver from making a play...

Minnesota clearly did the right thing this offseason. Instead of listening to the cries of many that they needed to improve their pass defense the Vikings signed defensive end Jared Allen. Allen will singlehandedly improve a porous unit that allowed 4,500 yards in the air last season. Defensive backs are nice to have, but a special pass rusher is what can make a defense shine.
    Good points but he still leaves out some things.
    IMHO you still need both.
    If you can't eat some clock running the ball, your passing usually won't win the game on its own.
    Short passes can eat some clock, but incompletes don't, and if overused, the short routes put you in more danger of a good defense taking the ball away.

But, my main point, and something I was considering putting in its own thread, and what nobody who is getting paid by the NFL or its affiliates seems to want to talk about, Is what recent rule changes have done to the game!!!
    The reason passing teams have become so much more potent has a lot to do with the "emphasis" on pass interference, the advantage of QB helmet radios, QB protection penalty bias, WRs knocked out of bounds can come back in to make a play, defensive player can no longer flinch before the snap to draw movement from an offensive linemen, scoring on the pylon while flying out of bounds, etc, etc
    Nearly every recent rule change has been to "help make the game more exciting, by helping the offense score more points."

Finally, this year we get a bit of balance back with the defensive helmet radios and the elimination of the force out rule.
    Hard to say, how much these two changes will matter, but it seems to me, that good defenses should be even better.
    And maybe the growing points scored per year will stabilize some.

What do you guys think?
    Guess I should search, knowing ya'all, its probably already been discussed here
    ;D

http://www.sportsattic.com/araig/NflRulesHistory.htm
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Good stuff Z.
    Its always good to look at the big picture, or as Mr. Harvey used to say, "The Rest of the Story."

"They [the coaches] basically use us as chess pieces. How they position us to play this game, that's the main thing now. Whoever can make the adjustments the best and the fastest will probably have the edge." L.Coles, WR jets

But the West Coast offense is really a philosophy, not a system of plays. It's based on throwing the ball early in the game, building a lead, then running the ball to keep the lead.

No disrespect to any of the great athletes that play cornerback in the NFL, but if an offensive line provides good pass protection, no one can keep a wide receiver from making a play...

Minnesota clearly did the right thing this offseason. Instead of listening to the cries of many that they needed to improve their pass defense the Vikings signed defensive end Jared Allen. Allen will singlehandedly improve a porous unit that allowed 4,500 yards in the air last season. Defensive backs are nice to have, but a special pass rusher is what can make a defense shine.
    If you can't eat some clock running the ball, your passing usually won't win the game on its own.
    Short passes can eat some clock, but incompletes don't, and if overused, the short routes put you in more danger of a good defense taking the ball away.

But, my main point, and something I was considering putting in its own thread, and what nobody who is getting paid by the NFL or its affiliates seems to want to talk about, Is what recent rule changes have done to the game!!!
    The reason passing teams have become so much more potent has a lot to do with the "emphasis" on pass interference, the advantage of QB helmet radios, QB protection penalty bias, WRs knocked out of bounds can come back in to make a play, defensive player can no longer flinch before the snap to draw movement from an offensive linemen, scoring on the pylon while flying out of bounds, etc, etc
    Nearly every recent rule change has been to "help make the game more exciting, by helping the offense score more points."

Finally, this year we get a bit of balance back with the defensive helmet radios and the elimination of the force out rule.
    Hard to say, how much these two changes will matter, but it seems to me, that good defenses should be even better.

What do you guys think?
    ;D

You know, as defenses rotate in more and more players I wonder how the helmet radio will work.
    My guess is the MLB and S will be the two with the green dot, however, you can't have both of them in at the same time.

So how do you work it so you only have 1 Green Dot in at a time?
    Me thinks you will see the MLB (I think he does anyways) play most of the plays as the guy the D-coord talks to.
    Just not sure how they will work the second helmet.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Good stuff Z.

What do you guys think?
    ;D

I think you made a very good post. I hate that the NFL is making so many rules, seems like they make more and more rules for every year (glad that they eliminated the force out rule though). It's not right when a game is decided on a referee's rule (which often could be wrong)
    I also believe that NFL has become more and more pass-friendly in recent years

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Good stuff Z.

What do you guys think?
    ;D

That pretty much rules out our offense and the talent we have

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    Good stuff Z.

What do you guys think?
    ;D

You know, as defenses rotate in more and more players I wonder how the helmet radio will work.
    My guess is the MLB and S will be the two with the green dot, however, you can't have both of them in at the same time.

So how do you work it so you only have 1 Green Dot in at a time?
    Me thinks you will see the MLB (I think he does anyways) play most of the plays as the guy the D-coord talks to.
    Just not sure how they will work the second helmet.
    They will probably have 2 helmets with radios. For arguments sake we'll say our radio guys are EJ and Sharper. In plays where EJ & Sharper are on only EJ will have a radio, if EJ comes out Sharper will have to run to the sideline and switch his helmet for the green dotted one.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    [size=12pt]MARRDRO!!!
    YOU TOO, BLV!!![/size]

;D

Admit it.
    You miss Reilly as well.
    Not really.
    I think the addition of Dan Patrick to the lineup has more than made up anything lost when Reilly moved to his new thing.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    [size=12pt]MARRDRO!!!
    YOU TOO, BLV!!![/size]

;D

Admit it.
    You miss Reilly as well.
    Not really.
    I think the addition of Dan Patrick to the lineup has more than made up anything lost when Reilly moved to his new thing.

=Z=
    Yeah Dan Patrick always has good interviews.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast