Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MindFreak is offline Starter

Re: My, Our, or This

"Marrdro" wrote:
    One of the sites I used to frequent had a character on there and that is all he did was correct you when you used the wrong word when you discussed the team.

Force of habit I guess from always worrying if that ass hole was gonna ping on me, but I hardly ever use the term "My Team" even though I believe, something along the college scenario.

He said you may, for a college team, use the term "our" if you are a graduate
    I came from MN, I paid taxes to MN, and I buy more crap which puts profit into the NFL and the Teams Owners pocket that I should be able to call them "My Team" or "Our Team".

Call/think of it as an honorary degree or something.

;D

Sounds like the board i used to frequent, or they would correct your spelling any chance they would get.
    I say my team, i always have always will, if people don't like it they can f off
    You can't be let down if you don't expect the world

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

As a fan the Vikings are my team, and as fans they are our team. It's that simple. I've been following these guys since the late 60's, and have endured all the pain, and glory that has come along the way, I wouldn't do it for their team.... just mine The Minnesota Vikings. ~Skol

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

We pay for the tickets and merchandise that allow this team to exist. Therefore it is our team. Just like you call it your watering hole or your Wal-mart, because they are in close proximity and they are the ones you frequent.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    A guy on a local sports talk show today had a "bit" on how wrong it is for fans to call his favorite team "My Team" or "Our Team." His point was we don't play on the team, we don't own any part of the team, no do we have any job with the team so why do we use the teams "My" and "Our?"
    He said you may, for a college team, use the term "our" if you are a graduate of that school but if you aren't, the same rules as above apply.
    He claims you should use the term "This team" or or the teams name or something similar when talking about your favorite team.
    What's your thoughts?

The guy's an idiot...why would any of the listeners stay tuned in to someone who wastes valuable air time on something so trivial? In sports, there's always something more important to discuss than this drivel. Must be a Bengals fan.
    Apparently you have not taken a look at the subjects being discussed here on PP.O the last few days.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I am very surprised that all of you have not caught the most obvious thing about this news story. I've been holding off to see if anyone would pick up on it because it was my immediate first thought when I heard this guys rant.
    What is the public relations theme for the Vikings this year?
    YOU MADE THE TEAM!
    ;D
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    A guy on a local sports talk show today had a "bit" on how wrong it is for fans to call his favorite team "My Team" or "Our Team." His point was we don't play on the team, we don't own any part of the team, no do we have any job with the team so why do we use the teams "My" and "Our?"

He said you may, for a college team, use the term "our" if you are a graduate of that school but if you aren't, the same rules as above apply.

He claims you should use the term "This team" or or the teams name or something similar when talking about your favorite team.

What's your thoughts?
    I am documented on PPO as agreeing with this 100%.

Saying "We" as in "We need to get a better rushing DE" or somesuch is ludicrous.
    "THEY may need to get a better rushing DE", but "WE" need to do nothing other than continue to cheer for "OUR" favorite team, the Minnesota Vikings.
    It bothers me too, but, then again, so do a lot of things so it's a moot point.
    I can only control how I speak and write about the Vikings, so I'm with ya.
    But the question was asked.

=Z=
    I'd have to disagree. Fans that put their time and resources into a team feel a connection to that team. I claim the Vikings and the Cubs as my teams. If the Blackhawks or the Bulls are on, I'll root for them, but I don't have a vested interest in those teams. They're not 'my teams'.

I look on it as though the fans are a teams' 'extended family'. As a core (for lack of a better word) family member, I know that I have this distant cousin out there somewhere that has no input on the decisions that I make, but is still part of my family. If that cousin hears news about the core family, he might discuss it with his brothers and sisters, and he could form an opinion about what should happen next. When that happens, he could legitamately talk about what he thinks 'his family' should do.

Me? I'm pretty sure that I'm the distant cousin that the Vikings prefer not to talk about. Any suggestions on who would be the weird uncle that creeps everyone out?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I am very surprised that all of you have not caught the most obvious thing about this news story. I've been holding off to see if anyone would pick up on it because it was my immediate first thought when I heard this guys rant.
    What is the public relations theme for the Vikings this year...
    YOU MADE THE TEAM!
    ;D
    Yeah... I wasn't too impressed with the PR Theme to be honest, so I blocked it out.
    If they want to get me psyched up about the Vikings, show me some of the amazing Vikings plays... don't show me three overweight fans at a bar.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    What's your thoughts?

The guy's an idiot...why would any of the listeners stay tuned in to someone who wastes valuable air time on something so trivial? In sports, there's always something more important to discuss than this drivel. Must be a Bengals fan.
    Apparently you have not taken a look at the subjects being discussed here on PP.O the last few days.

Ah, but I have...and contributed my part to said drivel.
    ;D And BTW, it's MY team, always has been, always will be.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"josdin00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

What's your thoughts?
    I am documented on PPO as agreeing with this 100%.

Saying "We" as in "We need to get a better rushing DE" or somesuch is ludicrous.
    "THEY may need to get a better rushing DE", but "WE" need to do nothing other than continue to cheer for "OUR" favorite team, the Minnesota Vikings.
    It bothers me too, but, then again, so do a lot of things so it's a moot point.
    I can only control how I speak and write about the Vikings, so I'm with ya.
    But the question was asked.
    I'd have to disagree. Fans that put their time and resources into a team feel a connection to that team. I claim the Vikings and the Cubs as my teams. If the Blackhawks or the Bulls are on, I'll root for them, but I don't have a vested interest in those teams. They're not 'my teams'.
    I don't have a problem with "My".
    The Vikings are my team.
    The Cubs are my team.

But I have a huge problem with "We".
    "We need to play AD more" - no, Childress does.
    "We need to trade for Ocho Cinco" - no, the Pentagon of Power does.
    In those cases, "we" have no influence whatsoever in the decisions that are made, so it's not appropriate.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I refer to the Vikings as "my" team.
    No, I don't play on it nor own a piece of it.
    But I have a vested interest nonetheless.

Using "my" doesn't necessarily imply ownership, it can imply a sense of belonging.
    Fans are a very important part of the Vikings franchise, and I don't have a problem with anybody identifying themselves with it.

Just curious, was this something from Common Man or Berraro on KFAN?
    It sounds like the kind of crap they spew...
    No, this was on a Cincinnati radio station.
    Nuff said!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast