Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Re: My, Our, or This

I think that's just the type of situation where people need to shut the fuc|< up and worry about something that matters...

You cheer for a team, that's what counts.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    Is it also wrong to say, I hope we get X player in the draft, etc?
    Yes.
    You must say something like, "I hope the management team and Winter Park has given careful consideration to player X in the 2008 draft.
    He would make a great contribution to the Minnesota Vikings."
    But, more likely you will say, "I hope we pick up playerx, he kicks ass...i want him on my team."
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    Is it also wrong to say, I hope we get X player in the draft, etc?
    Yes.
    You must say something like, "I hope the management team and Winter Park has given careful consideration to player X in the 2008 draft.
    He would make a great contribution to the Minnesota Vikings."
    But, more likely you will say, "I hope we pick up playerx, he kicks ass...i want him on my team."
    Yup, that's why they call me an idiot

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    A guy on a local sports talk show today had a "bit" on how wrong it is for fans to call his favorite team "My Team" or "Our Team." His point was we don't play on the team, we don't own any part of the team, no do we have any job with the team so why do we use the teams "My" and "Our?"

He said you may, for a college team, use the term "our" if you are a graduate of that school but if you aren't, the same rules as above apply.

He claims you should use the term "This team" or or the teams name or something similar when talking about your favorite team.

What's your thoughts?
    I am documented on PPO as agreeing with this 100%.

Saying "We" as in "We need to get a better rushing DE" or somesuch is ludicrous.
    "THEY may need to get a better rushing DE", but "WE" need to do nothing other than continue to cheer for "OUR" favorite team, the Minnesota Vikings.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    A guy on a local sports talk show today had a "bit" on how wrong it is for fans to call his favorite team "My Team" or "Our Team." His point was we don't play on the team, we don't own any part of the team, no do we have any job with the team so why do we use the teams "My" and "Our?"

He said you may, for a college team, use the term "our" if you are a graduate of that school but if you aren't, the same rules as above apply.

He claims you should use the term "This team" or or the teams name or something similar when talking about your favorite team.

What's your thoughts?

Saying "We" as in "We need to get a better rushing DE" or somesuch is ludicrous.
    "THEY may need to get a better rushing DE", but "WE" need to do nothing other than continue to cheer for "OUR" favorite team, the Minnesota Vikings.

=Z=
    It bothers me too, but, then again, so do a lot of things so it's a moot point.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"pack93z" wrote:
    I own stock in the Packers, can I then call it my team?
    no.. you can say " I have a piece of toilet paper with writing on"
    but thats all ..lol
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

What's your thoughts?

It bothers me too, but, then again, so do a lot of things so it's a moot point.
    I can only control how I speak and write about the Vikings, so I'm with ya.
    But the question was asked.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

i think somebody cares to much. everyone on this site knows that people who say "our team" or "my team" or the always popular "we" implies the vikings. (well perhaps not the cheeseheads) anyway, i agree, its annoying, but i slip and do it occasionally, and if somebody is actually making a big deal out of it he needs to find somethign better to talk about or get off the frickin radio.

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    What's your thoughts?

The guy's an idiot...why would any of the listeners stay tuned in to someone who wastes valuable air time on something so trivial? In sports, there's always something more important to discuss than this drivel. Must be a Bengals fan.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    I own stock in the Packers, can I then call it my team?
    no.. you can say " I have a piece of toilet paper with writing on"
    but thats all ..lol

;D
    To you my friend.. I say.. "Don't squeeze my Charmin." it costs to damn much.
    ;D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast