Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

My, Our, or This

A guy on a local sports talk show today had a "bit" on how wrong it is for fans to call his favorite team "My Team" or "Our Team." His point was we don't play on the team, we don't own any part of the team, no do we have any job with the team so why do we use the teams "My" and "Our?"
    He said you may, for a college team, use the term "our" if you are a graduate of that school but if you aren't, the same rules as above apply.
    He claims you should use the term "This team" or or the teams name or something similar when talking about your favorite team.
    What's your thoughts?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: My, Our, or This

I refer to the Vikings as "my" team.
    No, I don't play on it nor own a piece of it.
    But I have a vested interest nonetheless.

Using "my" doesn't necessarily imply ownership, it can imply a sense of belonging.
    Fans are a very important part of the Vikings franchise, and I don't have a problem with anybody identifying themselves with it.

Just curious, was this something from Common Man or Berraro on KFAN?
    It sounds like the kind of crap they spew...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I refer to the Vikings as "my" team.
    No, I don't play on it nor own a piece of it.
    But I have a vested interest nonetheless.

Using "my" doesn't necessarily imply ownership, it can imply a sense of belonging.
    Fans are a very important part of the Vikings franchise, and I don't have a problem with anybody identifying themselves with it.

Just curious, was this something from Common Man or Berraro on KFAN?
    It sounds like the kind of crap they spew...
    No, this was on a Cincinnati radio station.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I have heard this so many times, and I don't get it.

It's my team or our team. It only means that it's the franchise we have chosen to follow as fans, for better or worse. It doesn't mean anything like we think we own the team.

The only place I'd find it wrong, is if people refer to them as my team when we win, and this team when we lose.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

My or ours is easier.
    Who wants to say "the team that I follow" is going to good this year..... that's just stupid.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

I own stock in the Packers, can I then call it my team?

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

If you're trying to correct the grammar of the average NFL fan it's a losing battle.
    The guy is an idiot for not realizing this.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

That's because this radio personality can easily switch teams when he feels the need too.

For the past few years he was probably calling the Bengals "his team" but after how many arrests and a suck ass year he wants to move a little north and claim the Browns "his team."
    That's what he is setting up to do.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

One of the sites I used to frequent had a character on there and that is all he did was correct you when you used the wrong word when you discussed the team.

Force of habit I guess from always worrying if that ass hole was gonna ping on me, but I hardly ever use the term "My Team" even though I believe, something along the college scenario.

He said you may, for a college team, use the term "our" if you are a graduate
    I came from MN, I paid taxes to MN, and I buy more crap which puts profit into the NFL and the Teams Owners pocket that I should be able to call them "My Team" or "Our Team".

Call/think of it as an honorary degree or something.
    ;D

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Is it also wrong to say, I hope we get X player in the draft, etc?

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast