Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: The most overrated attribute in football

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Clearly the most overrated attribute in an NFL player (according to GMs) is character.

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have good mobility, they just aren't great runners.
    I would love to know which GM's say that character is an overrated quality in players. There are very few GM’s in the league that want to deal with character issue guys.
    That’s why teams weren’t going crazy for guys like T.O or Chad Johnson.
    Those guys are super talented but obviously there are very few people/teams who would like to deal with them.

GM’s/owners care a ton about image of the team.
    We went through it ourselves after the Loveboat incident.
    Character was one of the reasons we traded Moss.
    It was also the reason we got him wehre we did the draft.
    He would have gone top 3 if there weren’t any character issues coming out of college.
    I know if I were a GM character would be a very high priority.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I would much rather have a pocket passer than a QB who runs. Tom Brady is a guy who almost never runs downfield, but he also almost never needs to. The same with Peyton Manning and most good NFL QBs. If you do your progressions well, you don't need to run at the first sign that the pocket is collapsing.
    :

Have you ever noticed how banged up any RB is who is under 220 pounds, and how few of them there are who can run season after season ? And if a guy who is 215 and is a running back can't run well and stay healthy, how can a QB. Modern NFL defenses, especially the Cover 2, also make it very hard for a QB to run downfield. If you are a QB and you run downfield into a Cover 2, you are running right into the "shute" (the middle section of the Cover 2 zone, where the middle linebacker "roams"), where Urlacher or Derrick Brooks are, and they live to "take your head off"... And I don't want to do that to my QB.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

If everyone agrees that QB mobility is not that important how can it be overrated?

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    If everyone agrees that QB mobility is not that important how can it be overrated?
    Besides the original poster who said QB mobiltiy was not that important? I think we all agreed it was important but as far as being overatted...

Sounds more like the original poster is being pesimitic toward Tarvaris bringing about a negative light, as we all know mobility is one of Tarvaris biggest attributs at this time.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Clearly the most overrated attribute in an NFL player (according to GMs) is character.

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have good mobility, they just aren't great runners.
    I would love to know which GM's say that character is an overrated quality in players. There are very few GM’s in the league that want to deal with character issue guys.
    That’s why teams weren’t going crazy for guys like T.O or Chad Johnson.
    Those guys are super talented but obviously there are very few people/teams who would like to deal with them.

GM’s/owners care a ton about image of the team.
    We went through it ourselves after the Loveboat incident.
    Character was one of the reasons we traded Moss.
    It was also the reason we got him wehre we did the draft.
    He would have gone top 3 if there weren’t any character issues coming out of college.
    I know if I were a GM character would be a very high priority.
    Actions speak louder than words.
    No GM would say that because it's bad PR.
    However the evidence is there, arrests and off-the-field issues are at an all time high.
    Players like Pacman jones, Jerramy Stevens, Albert Haynesworth etc. are still in the league.
    TO and Chad Johnson are both on NFL roster and are both among the top paid players at their position.
    Obviously the Loveboat incident wasn't enough to get rid of Bryant McKinnie, and I doubt his pole-smashing incident will be either.

Character may be important, but it's almost always a sidenote.
    If a players is talented enough it is enough for most teams to look past.
    All teams talk a big game about having players with character, but if this were any other employer, all of these players with character issues wouldn't be in the NFL any longer.
    I don't think character SHOULD be overrated, I'm simply stating that it is (at least in the fans' minds).

Now if a player runs a bad 40 time...look out.

It would surprise me if Matt Jones manages to find a team...

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

delviking is offline Starter

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I think mobility is misunderstood by most fans, not overrated.

REAL QB mobility is the small steps inside the pocket that a QB takes plus the ability to roll out of the pocket either on a designed play or if the pocket collapses.

TJ, by the way, is a very mobile QB, but I don't link him in as a cheap version of Mike Vick as some do even though he has made some decent runs.
    Watching these made me smile... this season is gonna be awesome.

[youtube=425,350]zD63l9jtvro[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]GSZui599VfI[/youtube]
    Now your just pissing me off..........You know I can't see them at work.... ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    It's just a few videos showing Jackson running for his life and taking a beating. He is going to have to change the amount of hits he takes if he wants to be in the league for a while.
    Still fun to watch him juke out the defense.
    hmmm something that Peterson could help Jackson with?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    It's just a few videos showing Jackson running for his life and taking a beating. He is going to have to change the amount of hits he takes if he wants to be in the league for a while.
    I have decided to dodge/avoid/ignore his injury issues this offseason.
    I don't think I have slipped up and mentioned it more that 5 or 6 times my friend, however, it is still there in the back of my mind, as my number one worry/concern about him.
    When you get home and see those hits he is taking, you will see why he has had trouble staying healthy.

I have the same fears/concerns.

Plus, he needs to tuck that ball in when he runs. Somebody needs to tell him he isn't running home from the store with a loaf of bread for gods sake. As teams see this on film he is going to start getting it stripped away if he doesn't change his habits.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Some of those runs against the Broncos were downright sweet. Let's not forget that the last time we saw Tarvaris he was leading us back from the jaws of defeat against Denver with some amazing reads and scrambles.

The whole mobility thing I will agree is overrated but the idea of being able to scramble out of a tough situation is invaluable for a young quarterback. The problem is many of them resort to using it far too much and never learn how to be true pocket passers. I think Childress has really instilled the idea of pass first in Tarvaris' mind, but hell, as long as the ability is there he might as well use it when he can.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"delviking" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

REAL QB mobility is the small steps inside the pocket that a QB takes plus the ability to roll out of the pocket either on a designed play or if the pocket collapses.

TJ, by the way, is a very mobile QB, but I don't link him in as a cheap version of Mike Vick as some do even though he has made some decent runs.

;D
    ;D
    ;D
    I suppose it was fun seeing him laying on the field knocked out with a concussion when he took that head shot at the end of a running play too?

AD and CT are fun for me to watch running. I want to see somebody stand in the pocket and pass the ball.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "delviking" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=46229.msg801983#msg801983 date=1215796963]

;D
    ;D
    ;D
    I suppose it was fun seeing him laying on the field knocked out with a concussion when he took that head shot at the end of a running play too?

AD and CT are fun for me to watch running. I want to see somebody stand in the pocket and pass the ball.
    [/quote]
    You can't play the game worried about injuries. I don't think Tjack runs too much, he goes through the progression and then when nothings open(should happen less with better recievers) he uses his ability to run to get what he can. He seems to keep his head up and his good vision when running the football. Yeah he got knocked the fuck out but that is gonna happen sometimes, most of his runs weren't that violent.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast