Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

The most overrated attribute in football

The most overrated attribute in football is "quarterback mobility". People will say things like "this QB has mobility and that makes him so special" (Vick, etc.). But the reality is that modern defenses (Tampa 2, etc.) are set up to minimize the ability of the QB to run downfield. REAL QB mobility is the small steps inside the pocket that a QB takes, not runs downfield. Watch Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Every step Brady takes is deliberate and has a purpose, and he has awesome "mobility", while running downfield very, very rarely. Real mobility is inside the pocket mobility.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: The most overrated attribute in football

Agreed.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Honestly, I think Jeff Garcia is a great example of a mobile QB. When he played in Cleveland, I was going to school there and got to see him play every Sunday (I was surprised that they got rid of him... he wasn't the problem), but he could scramble, evade the pass-rush and make plays with his feet while still delivering a beautiful pass.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I think mobility is misunderstood by most fans, not overrated.

REAL QB mobility is the small steps inside the pocket that a QB takes plus the ability to roll out of the pocket either on a designed play or if the pocket collapses.

TJ, by the way, is a very mobile QB, but I don't link him in as a cheap version of Mike Vick as some do even though he has made some decent runs.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:

REAL QB mobility is the small steps inside the pocket that a QB takes plus the ability to roll out of the pocket either on a designed play or if the pocket collapses.

TJ, by the way, is a very mobile QB, but I don't link him in as a cheap version of Mike Vick as some do even though he has made some decent runs.
    Watching these made me smile... this season is gonna be awesome.

[youtube=425,350]zD63l9jtvro[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]GSZui599VfI[/youtube]

"C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Now your just pissing me off..........You know I can't see them at work.... ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    They're just videos of Jackson looking like a cheap Micheal Vick... without the prison stripes.

"Marrdro" wrote:

I totally agree Marrdro.
    A lot of people don’t understand what a mobile QB can do and the benefits it adds.
    Now I am not talking about a slash type player like Kordell Stewart or Michael Vick.
    I am talking about guys like Culpepper (when he wasn’t fumbling) or a guy like Elway.
    I know some of you might chastise me for lumping those two together but they are prime examples.

I bet if you asked a guy like P. Manning or Palmer an area in their passing game they wish they could improve on is the ability to move around, especially outside, the pocket and deliver a 40 yrd strike.
    Guys like Culpepper and Elway, and others could take a 5 step drop or better make a couple cuts or roll out and deliver a bomb that was right on target.
    That is a very good skill set to have.

Now a guy like Vick might have been able to run like a RB and throw it a mile, but you never knew where the ball was going to end up.
    Guys like that have ruined the term “mobile QB”.
    Look at Fran T., he was an incredible mobile QB for his time and that’s was one of the things that made him great.
    His ability to avoid tacklers and throw on the move.

In my opinion one of the most overated attributes in the NFL is burning speed by a WR.
    With the exception of a few (Moss, Chad Johnson, Santanna Moss) an effective WR doesn’t need off the charts speed to be successful in the NFL.
    There are many more that had blazing speed that didn’t cut it or didn’t live up to expectations
    (Troy Williamson, Terry Glenn, Az Hakim, Chris Henry)
    That list is much longer.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    ;D
    ;D
    It's just a few videos showing Jackson running for his life and taking a beating. He is going to have to change the amount of hits he takes if he wants to be in the league for a while.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    It's just a few videos showing Jackson running for his life and taking a beating. He is going to have to change the amount of hits he takes if he wants to be in the league for a while.
    I have decided to dodge/avoid/ignore his injury issues this offseason.
    I don't think I have slipped up and mentioned it more that 5 or 6 times my friend, however, it is still there in the back of my mind, as my number one worry/concern about him.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast