Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: Morten Andersen retires

It's no doupt in my mind that Morten Anderson has been a great player and is one of the best kickers to have ever played the game. The people in Denmark should be very proud about this man!

... but let's be honest! He is just a kicker!

As a Norwegien, I feel proud for having a Norwegian in the NFL Hall of Fame, but it's the same situation as with Anderson. Jan Stenerud was one of the best kickers in the league's history, but he is also just a kicker. It's just not the same. Like I said: I am proud, but it's not really the same as if he had played a true American Football position.

By the way, who was a better kicker: Morten Anderson from Denmark or Jan Stenerud from Norway?

Jan Stenerud, a talented ski jumper from Norway, popped onto the scene with the 1967 Kansas City Chiefs. He stayed around for 19 years before retiring after the 1985 season with the Minnesota Vikings. He scored 1,699 points, second in history only to the fabled George Blanda, and earned the universal reputation of being the absolute best at his job.

Jan Stenerud had so much power in his leg and was the first to really "boom" kicks through the end zone, being the reason to why the NFL moved the kickoff point back 5 yards in 1974.

Before Stenerud was drafted by the Chiefs, Chiefs' Coach Hank Stram decided to take a look at his new recruit in a game against Tulsa. "On the opening kickoff, Stenerud put the ball through the goal posts and seven rows deep into the bleachers. I had seen all I needed to see," Stram remembers.

He is the NFL's all-time leader with 373 field goals and is second on the all-time scoring list with 1,699 points.

Jan Stenerud was selected as a member of the NFL's 75th Anniversary all-time team. He played 19 NFL seasons.

Source: http://brunvoll.nu/stenerud/

Chuck Taylor is offline Training Camp

"HEY" wrote:
    It's no doupt in my mind that Morten Anderson has been a great player and is one of the best kickers to have ever played the game. The people in Denmark should be very proud about this man!

As a Norwegien, I feel proud for having a Norwegian in the NFL Hall of Fame, but it's the same situation as with Anderson. Jan Stenerud was one of the best kickers in the league's history, but he is also just a kicker. It's just not the same. Like I said: I am proud, but it's not really the same as if he had played a true American Football position.

By the way, who was a better kicker: Morten Anderson from Denmark or Jan Stenerud from Norway?

Jan Stenerud, a talented ski jumper from Norway, popped onto the scene with the 1967 Kansas City Chiefs. He stayed around for 19 years before retiring after the 1985 season with the Minnesota Vikings. He scored 1,699 points, second in history only to the fabled George Blanda, and earned the universal reputation of being the absolute best at his job.

Jan Stenerud had so much power in his leg and was the first to really "boom" kicks through the end zone, being the reason to why the NFL moved the kickoff point back 5 yards in 1974.

Before Stenerud was drafted by the Chiefs, Chiefs' Coach Hank Stram decided to take a look at his new recruit in a game against Tulsa. "On the opening kickoff, Stenerud put the ball through the goal posts and seven rows deep into the bleachers. I had seen all I needed to see," Stram remembers.

He is the NFL's all-time leader with 373 field goals and is second on the all-time scoring list with 1,699 points.

Jan Stenerud was selected as a member of the NFL's 75th Anniversary all-time team. He played 19 NFL seasons.

Didn't know that, probably because it was before my time. I started watching NFL in, I think 1990.

But I don't agree with that "just a kicker" point of view. Kickers in my opinion are just as valuable as any other player, punters too for that matter.

Kickers might not make the highlight reel as often as a RB or WR but they're often used in crunch-time to win games. They need to stay mentally strong and prepared throughout the game because they never know whwn thay are called upon

HEY
    Blog Entries

"Chuck" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:

Didn't know that, probably because it was before my time. I started watching NFL in, I think 1990.

But I don't agree with that "just a kicker" point of view. Kickers in my opinion are just as valuable as any other player, punters too for that matter.

Kickers might not make the highlight reel as often as a RB or WR but they're often used in crunch-time to win games. They need to stay mentally strong and prepared throughout the game because they never know whwn thay are called upon
    Yes, I agree that kickers can change the outcome of a game and be very valuable, but a kicker and a punter doesn't have to go through the physicality that the sport is known for and is really the essential of the sport. All the players on the field will get physical on almost every play, but the punters and kickers will in most cases not even be touched and is not required to tackle, block or run.

JPPT1974 is offline Starter

Would be nice if he made it to the HOF! Only one kicker is in there btw!
    NFL 2013 is Here!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"HEY" wrote:
    "Chuck" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:

Yes, I agree that kickers can change the outcome of a game and be very valuable, but a kicker and a punter doesn't have to go through the physicality that the sport is known for and is really the essential of the sport. All the players on the field will get physical on almost every play, but the punters and kickers will in most cases not even be touched and is not required to tackle, block or run.
    if your implying a kicker isn't a real football player, think of it this way...
    Go back to the 20's when the NFL first started, when the "essence of the sport" was created.
    Drives would usually consist of running the ball, untill your close enough to kick a field goal.
    Back then, field goals were worth 5 points, not 3.
    Kickers were very important (Also, many players back there, doubled as a kicker, so there wasn't always a designated kicker like there is now)
    Many players who are HOF players from that era, doubled as kickers.

I can think of 3 kickers who should get strong consideration.

JPPT1974 said there's only one kicker in the hall, without looking it up, i bet its Dempsey.
    However, Gary Anderson, Morton Anderson and Jason Elam all deserve consideration when they retire.

HEY
    Blog Entries

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

JPPT1974 said there's only one kicker in the hall, without looking it up, i bet its Dempsey.

However, Gary Anderson, Morton Anderson and Jason Elam all deserve consideration when they retire.
    I think Jan Stenerud is the only pure kicker in the Hall of Fame.
    I don't think Dempsey is in there, but George Blanda (quarterback/kicker), Paul Hornung (halfback/quarterback/kicker) and Lou Groza (Offensive tackle/kicker) is all Hall of Famers.

Btw, there isn't any punters in the Hall of Fame.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"HEY" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:

I think Jan Stenerud is the only pure kicker in the Hall of Fame.
    I don't think Dempsey is in there, but George Blanda (quarterback/kicker), Paul Hornung (halfback/quarterback/kicker) and Lou Groza (Offensive tackle/kicker) is all Hall of Famers.

Btw, there isn't any punters in the Hall of Fame.
    Ray Guy's been making some noise as of lately with the HOF selection process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12