mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

More surgery for Culpepper

More surgery for Culpepper

November 30, 2006

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- Daunte Culpepper underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday to remove a piece of cartilage that has hampered his recovery from reconstructive surgery a year ago.

The problem was discovered when Culpepper was examined Wednesday by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Behind his kneecap there was a little piece of articular cartilage that was causing some catching," coach Nick Saban said. "That's what was causing the problem.

"That's why we wanted to get this evaluated. We all feel much better that there's a solution to what wasn't a serious issue, but it was an issue that was holding him back some."

Culpepper will remain on the active roster, at least for now, so there remains a chance he'll play again this season.

Culpepper underwent major knee surgery in November 2005. He returned to the field more quickly than expected and played in Miami's first four games this year, but with his mobility hampered, he was sacked 21 times.

He was then pulled from the lineup so he could focus on rehabilitation. Culpepper has since practiced on a limited basis but struggled with sharp pain in the right knee.

"I played through some pain in the first four games and didn't feel that I had an explosive burst, but the problem couldn't be detected by an MRI," Culpepper said in a statement. "The minor surgery today solved that problem and will allow me to continue my progress."

Culpepper last played on Oct. 1. With five regular-season games remaining and Culpepper facing recovery from another operation, Saban declined to speculate on the chances he'll play again this year.

"This is not a real serious-type thing," Saban said. "I'm sure Daunte's attitude will continue to be real positive about trying to do everything he can do to get healthy and be 100 percent so he can play like Daunte Culpepper is capable of playing."

Culpepper's acquisition from Minnesota in March for a second-round draft pick has been derided as the NFL's worst offseason move. The Dolphins went 1-3 with Culpepper as the starter, and they've won their past four games with Joey Harrington at quarterback to improve to 5-6.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjR4SBelGeYYSE942PL08Bk5nYcB?slug=ap-dolphins-culpepper&prov=ap&type=lgns

1800CULPEPPER is offline Starter

Re: More surgery for Culpepper

Darnit, I was just going to post a LETS GET PEPP BACK THREAD.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it!!

RK.
    RK. is online now Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Culpeper will never start for Miami again unless Harrington is injured.

WWBGD

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

I don't think he will play again this season even if he is fit enough, Harrington has played well enough to keep the job. As for next season that's when things will get interesting, especially if Culpepper gets fit and Harrington keeps winning games this year.

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

I agree.
    I think Culpepper is done.
    Harrington will continue to start this season and next.
    culpepper will be a back up from now on.
    I BLEED PURPLE!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Looks like it is becomming a good trade after all. Who did we get with that 2nd round pick??

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

The trade was ALWAYS for Harrington. They picked up PEP so Harrington had no pressure to feel he HAD to win. Saban made a GREAT move. If the old PEP shows up well he just got a heck of a backup!

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Vikes" wrote:
    The trade was ALWAYS for Harrington. They picked up PEP so Harrington had no pressure to feel he HAD to win. Saban made a GREAT move. If the old PEP shows up well he just got a heck of a backup!
    I hate to burst your bubble, but you are wrong.

When Culpepper joined the Dolphins in March, Harrington was still a Lion. They did not make a trade for Harrington until two months later in May.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Vikes" wrote:
    I hate to burst your bubble, but you are wrong.

When Culpepper joined the Dolphins in March, Harrington was still a Lion. They did not make a trade for Harrington until two months later in May.

Because Saban could tell Culpepper was not what he expected and a good chance he wouldn't be able to play.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Vikes" wrote:
    Somehow I can't see Pep settling for being a backup - seeing how great a player he is .. in his mind at least. Maybe the Fins could trade him to oakland for draft picks, then he can link up with Moss again
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...