Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

more news from the wonderful NFL role models

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1831533

add another wife beater to the list... well allegedly anyways

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

I think it was you a while back who asked why NFL players are so greedy. Following up on that
    I'd also like to ask why some of them are so damn stupid that they have to go and do stuff like this.
    In the last year alone we have heard so many cases of these guys going out and doing all kinds of
    dumb crap that gets them in trouble with the law, from assault and battery, to drugs, to driving
    drunk, blah blah blah. Why is it that these guys do this when they have so much success? Is it because they think they can get away with it? Is it the attention they get? I know there's a lot of players
    that do great things for their communities that don't get much recognition, like Daunte Culpepper
    who allocated part of his 10-year contract $ to go to an adoption charity. But these other
    knuckleheads have no reason to do what they do. It just pisses me off because a lot of people
    watch them and make them successful.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

I hear ya SD.... it really makes me angry. Fire them all... i don't care if they are Vikings or not. I don't want a bunch of idiots on my team either!!! Too much money and fame gives these guys the mind set that they can do whatever they f'in want! You know at this point if I ever have kids, I don't know if I'll let them even watch football... I don't want them looking up to a guy that could committ murder and get away with it. Seriously, what does this teach todays youth? I've heard them say... "I don't want to be a role model, I'm just here to play... (fill in the sport)" whether they want kids to look up to them or not, the kids do!!! Hell I even look up to the ones that merrit some respect. They need to realize that the fame comes with a price and they need to man up and take responsibility for their actions!

DoyleRulz84 is offline Rookie

And they took playmakers off the air because it exaggerated
    4ee016e435d4da86194a9f140c831959

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

If I made the kind of money these knuckleheads make, I would be the nicest guy in the world.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

dam what can you say :?: I am with whackthepack, :scratch: the hardest thing I would have to worry about is where to take the crew fishen. :cheers:
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Anybody that hits a woman is a coward and has major problems. I need to stop thinking about this because it is pissing me off!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

"DoyleRulz84" wrote:
    That show was awesome.

Why do so many players feel the need to act like idiots?

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

"DoyleRulz84" wrote:
    [size=7px][/size]

No , I think they took playmakers off the air because it hit
    to close to home. They won't admit it, but it was based on the
    way it is. This is a perfect example.

On a side note I loved that show.
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

re: role models

This news of the latest "incident" involving a "professional" athlete and law enforcement made me decide to give my two cents worth on the subject...

Growing up in the 70's and 80's (DOES THAT DATE ME? :? ), you never (or hardly ever)saw something like this happen in professional sports. Now whether it was because you never saw it or because there wasn't as much "instant" media as there is now is beside the point, but I digress... Sure, you saw the occasional athlete run afoul of the law, but it was always drinking and partying or gambling (Hornung - a Packer :roll: - or Alex Karras - a Lion). You never heard violence enter the picture. Which is not to say that it never happened, I just never heard of it. The guys back then never had the huge salaries we have today - they played for the LOVE OF THE GAME! And I don't see too much of that these days... I mean, for cripes sakes, isn't the MINIMUM these days something like $300,00 a year?! So, players had different motivations back then.

Secondly, I think a reason why you see the violence today in players off the field can be traced back to how they were coddled in high school/college. You know, "well, he's the star of the team, we can look the other way", and it's drilled into these guys' heads how great they are and how nothing can touch them. Also, it's immaturity: I know if someone handed me a $1 million contract when I was 21, 22, I'd have spent that sucker as fast as I could! So, the huge contracts these days is a big motivator to act the way they do as well...

Players need to realize today that, no matter how much they DON'T want it, they are role models to thousands of kids, and they need to get their heads out of their :bootyshake: and take some responsibility. That's why I say "Thank God" for guys like Leo Lewis who take time to make the rookies realize that they hold a big burden on their shoulders, and that they need to take some responsibility for their actions!

Thanks for listening!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast