Thread: Millen Fired?

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Millen Fired?

POSTED 6:39 p.m. EST, November 25, 2006

MILLEN FIRED?

The rumors and rumblings and innuendo have intensified over the past few days, but there's still nothing concrete.
    There's talk in league and industry circles that Lions President/CEO Matt Millen could be dumped after nearly six seasons of general ineptitude.

Terry Fostor of the Detroit News reports the existence of the rumors, but also says that Millen denies that any changes are coming.

An industry source with knowledge of the dynamics told us on Wednesday that a poor showing by the Lions in the team's annual Thanksgiving Day game at Ford Field might be the catalyst to get Millen out the door.
    But since Thursday the source has heard nothing specific regarding a possible separation.

Though the cries for Millen's head have been rampant, the thinking had been that owner William Clay Ford, Sr. would stick will Millen indefinitely.

Millen received an extension in 2005, and he has said that he would not pursue a buyout if he were released from the balance of his contract.

Meanwhile, at least one league insider has raised the question of whether Lions chief operating officer Tom Lewand also should be fired if/when Millen goes.
    Lewand is one of the various NFL non-football business types who have their finger in the pot but who generally escape accountability when things go poorly because they're not "football guys."
    Some believe that Lewand is a bigger part of the problem than Millen.

Indeed, it appears that Lewand and not Millen is ultimately responsible for the most recent embarrassment involving the franchise, which occurred when the Ford Field staff tried to stoke booing of former Lions quarterback Joey Harrington, who was making his first appearance in Detroit as a member of another team.
    Although Millen carries the title of President/CEO, which suggests that anything and everything that happens is within his domain, the team's media guide expressly states that Lewand is responsible for the day-to-day operations at Ford Field.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Millen Fired?

Well, there's no doubt they should fire him. Though, for the Vikings' sake I hope they keep him around for another decade or so.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Thats the problem with Ford in general. They just allow themselves to be mismanaged.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

If I were from Michigan I'd also be calling for Millen's head.

Not only is he stupid, he's also a bad GM

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I do not like Detroit at all.
    But I actually feel sorry for them because Millen is a dope.
    I thought he would have already been fired.
    He will not be around next year for sure.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

He should have been fired last year instead of Mariucci. If Lewand is a problem, get rid of him aswell.

NIKE

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

KEEP MILLEN !!!
    KEEP MILLEN !!!
    KEEP MILLEN !!! KEEP MILLEN !!!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Talk about a team that deserves to be moved to LA.
    They need a fresh start.

Detroit and the previous Saints teams, oh ya, and the Texans! Move all 3 teams to cali and make one big mega team.