Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Mike Tice says, 'I'm a career NFL coach'

I don't think Tice was to great of a coach...he's not a bad coordinator or assistant coach and that stuff...but when he was coach, there was never very much improvement, more of the team going down hill or just being inconsistant...not we're a bit incosistant right now...but we have a very young team...Chilly is pushing us in a positive direction, i've seen a lot of improvement under Chilly, not so much with Tice, good assistant coach, coordinator w/e, just not a head coach to me. good read to ;D

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"SKOL" wrote:
    "vikes2456" wrote:
    "Vikes" wrote:
    I could not stand Tice when he was here. But I must give him credit he did what could with what he had.

Which was very little upper management support.

My big problem was the scapling scandel.

Am I the only person who thought the scalping scandal wasn't that big of a deal?
    No you're not.
    I also think that way too much was made of that.
    Unfortunately, I'd bet that had something to do with Tice's dismissal (knowing what we do about Zygi's commitment to discipline).
    Personally, I don't think so. Other than Tice, wasn't Robinson & Smith the only Vikings to be dismissed due to discipline? A broker actually did the scalping for Tice. He just helped collect tickets from other players & coaches. None of those "others" who gave Tice their tickets to sell were disciplined, with the exception of Dalton (I believe he was also the one in on it & don't recall if he was disciplined for it or simply let go when Childress fired the entire staff)

Certainly others could have been, but weren't. Smith wasn't even caught smoking marijuana & he was released. Woods got a DUI & he's still there. McKinnie still there & I believe not even disciplined by the team even though he was the one eating muff pie on the Love Boat.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MindFreak is offline Starter

"KrackerJack" wrote:
    I don't think Tice was to great of a coach...he's not a bad coordinator or assistant coach and that stuff...but when he was coach, there was never very much improvement, more of the team going down hill or just being inconsistant...not we're a bit incosistant right now...but we have a very young team...Chilly is pushing us in a positive direction, i've seen a lot of improvement under Chilly, not so much with Tice, good assistant coach, coordinator w/e, just not a head coach to me. good read to ;D
    Tice's 2nd year he went 9-7 with a team that even on this board said had more talent and better team overalll then this years team that went 8-8 under Baldy's 2nd year
    9-7 > 8-8
    Tice > Baldy
    The numbers don't lie
    You can't be let down if you don't expect the world

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"MindFreak" wrote:
    "KrackerJack" wrote:
    Tice's 2nd year he went 9-7 with a team that even on this board said had more talent and better team overalll then this years team that went 8-8 under Baldy's 2nd year
    9-7 > 8-8
    Tice > Baldy

The numbers don't lie
    And Baldy took over a 9-7 team. That's what he had to start with.

It's funny that many people will say that, yet if you read as many posts as I do, some of those very same people say that Childress had very few talented players to work with when he took over, but yet they say Tice did very little with the talented team he had.
    ???

Not bad for a guy who was promoted straight from an o-line coach to a head coach, unlike Childress who had the benefit of being an offensive coordinator.

We'll never know what it might have been like, had Tice been allowed to get whoever he wanted for his coaching staff. Under McCombs cheap, tightwad ass, he had to settle for coach leavings that would work for peanuts. What might he have done with the likes of a Mike Tomlin or Leslie Frazier & an open pocket book that Wilf gave Childress?

Sorry, but the same talent that went 9-7, was given to Childress in his first year. Childress & co. disected that team. You can thank Tice & the scouting staff for a lot of the talent that was on that 9-7 team. Tice was almost soley responsible for bringing Winfield in here. Others include E.J. Henderson, Pat Williams, Bryant McKinnie, Kevin Williams & Kennechi Udeze just to name a few.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12