Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Mike Tice says, 'I'm a career NFL coach'

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_7931331
    Unlike the team he once coached, Mike Tice is in the NFL playoffs. He's the assistant head coach/tight ends for the Jacksonville Jaguars, a position he has held since being fired by Vikings owner Zygi Wilf minutes after the Vikings ended the 2005 season with a 9-7 record that hasn't been matched in the two years since his departure. Tice is helping prepare the Jaguars for their game Saturday night against the unbeaten New England Patriots. I caught up with Tice on Wednesday...
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Mike Tice says, 'I'm a career NFL coach'

I miss Tice's one liners like when asked about covering Moss, he told his guys " I told them to try not to spend too much time looking at the back of his number".

Hopefully he can get a chance with somebody, and have the backing of the owner to spend the money needed to surround himself with the coaches and players needed to excel. Thanks Cojo.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Very nice read.
    Thanks Cojo.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Unlike the team he once coached, Mike Tice is in the NFL playoffs. He's the assistant head coach/tight ends for the Jacksonville Jaguars, a position he has held since being fired by Vikings owner Zygi Wilf minutes after the Vikings ended the 2005 season with a 9-7 record that hasn't been matched in the two years since his departure. Tice is helping prepare the Jaguars for their game Saturday night against the unbeaten New England Patriots. I caught up with Tice on Wednesday...
    Man does this hurt!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Man does this hurt!
    How so?

Do you think you will feel the same way next year?
    I don't.
    I look at what I've seen over the last three years of this owners regime and I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Haven't been able to say that for alot of years my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Man does this hurt!
    How so?

I don't.
    I look at what I've seen over the last three years of this owners regime and I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

It hurts because a dude like Tice can get us to 9-7 but a guy like Childress can't with a better team IMO. If we don't get to 9-7 next year it won't matter what I think because Childress will be gone. I can see the light as well but that doesn't chane the fact that after two years we have not been to the playoffs or been over .500! Who hasn't been able to say that for years? I can think back to 2004 when we beat Green Bay in the playoffs. I like Childress and what he is doing but he has a lot of pressure next year to make the playoffs.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I could not stand Tice when he was here. But I must give him credit he did what could with what he had.

Which was very little upper management support.

My big problem was the scapling scandel.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

"Vikes" wrote:
    I could not stand Tice when he was here. But I must give him credit he did what could with what he had.

Am I the only person who thought the scalping scandal wasn't that big of a deal?

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Man does this hurt!
    How so?

I don't.

It hurts because a dude like Tice can get us to 9-7 but a guy like Childress can't with a better team IMO. If we don't get to 9-7 next year it won't matter what I think because Childress will be gone. I can see the light as well but that doesn't chane the fact that after two years we have not been to the playoffs or been over .500! Who hasn't been able to say that for years? I can think back to 2004 when we beat Green Bay in the playoffs. I like Childress and what he is doing but he has a lot of pressure next year to make the playoffs.
    I'm with marstc.
    I would rather see wins than simply having discipline instilled in players and coaches.
    I'd bet we would have been in the playoffs the last two years under Tice.
    Tice won under an owner that was not even committed to winning, and the team was on the rise.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"vikes2456" wrote:
    "Vikes" wrote:

Am I the only person who thought the scalping scandal wasn't that big of a deal?
    No you're not.
    I also think that way too much was made of that.
    Unfortunately, I'd bet that had something to do with Tice's dismissal (knowing what we do about Zygi's commitment to discipline).

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast