Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

McNabb calls T.O. a Racist...

...sorta.

Talking about TO's Brett Favre comment earlier in the year, McNabb said this...

"It was like, it's unreal," McNabb said. "That's like me going out and saying, `Hey, if we had Steve Largent. If we had Joe Jurevicius. It was definitely a slap in the face to me. It was a slap in the face because, as deep as people want to go into it, it was black-on-black crime."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=As_UJh4LA2yFROvel66J8BlDubYF?slug=ap-eagles-mcnabbowensfeud&prov=ap&type=lgns

What that article doesn't say is that McNabb said the 'Hey if we had Steve Largent" quote first, at which point Michael Smith who was interviewing him said "I'm just connecting the dots here, but its obvious those two guys have lighter skin tones than TO." And THEN McNabb said the black on black crime quote. It puts it into a little different context if you know he was led into it, but the meaning is the same.

I never really thought of the whole situation as a race issue with TO, but I guess it's possible. Maybe TO is a closet member of the KKK and didn't want to play in San Fran because Garcia is gay and didn't want to be in Philly because McNabb is black.

I just can't believe the whole situation is back all over the place again, I thought all of the TO/Eagles drama was done!

Re: McNabb calls T.O. a Racist...

I dont see anything wrong with what McNabb said. Hell atleast he had the guts to say what he thought.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"MnFan_in_Canada" wrote:
    I dont see anything wrong with what McNabb said. Hell atleast he had the guts to say what he thought.
    I don't either, and if that's what he feels then he has a right to say it, and he may even be right. I just didn't expect to be talking about McNabb and TO 3 days before the Super Bowl!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

black on black crime is just wrong. *rollseyes*
    We're bringing purple back.

"ltrey33" wrote:
    I just didn't expect to be talking about McNabb and TO 3 days before the Super Bowl!
    A year after they were PLAYING in the SB!!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

McNabb says Owens' criticism amounts to ``black-on-black crime'

February 1, 2006

DETROIT (AP) -- Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb injected a race element into his rift with Terrell Owens on Wednesday, saying the receiver's criticism amounted to "black-on-black crime."

In an interview with ESPN, McNabb rehashed some of the low moments of his relationship with his teammate, making fun of Owens' driveway apology and bringing up the race angle.

ADVERTISEMENT

In November, responding to a question from Michael Irvin during an ESPN interview, Owens said Philadelphia would likely be in a better situation if Brett Favre was the quarterback instead of the banged-up McNabb.

"It was like, it's unreal," McNabb said. "That's like me going out and saying, `Hey, if we had Steve Largent. If we had Joe Jurevicius. It was definitely a slap in the face to me. It was a slap in the face because, as deep as people want to go into it, it was black-on-black crime."

Not long after that, an NAACP leader criticized McNabb for "playing the race card" in explaining why he didn't run the ball as often as he used to.

In November, the Eagles suspended Owens for the remainder of the season for his repeated criticism of the team, McNabb and several other issues. The team recently gave Owens permission to seek a trade, and this week he visited the Denver Broncos.

On Wednesday, McNabb brought up some of the criticism he had taken through his career, and said Owens was simply piling on with his statement.

"It's different to say, `If we had Michael Vick or Daunte Culpepper or Steve McNair or Byron Leftwich," McNabb said of four black starting quarterbacks. "But to go straight to Brett Favre, that kind of just slapped me in the face like, `Wow ..."'

Owens apologized twice publicly -- once after his preseason holdout and then again, in his driveway, after he was suspended.

"The first apology, that was to the organization," McNabb said. "Then, I was thrown in there -- `If I offended Donovan in any way' -- you know. Instead of that, you could have just told me, hey, I apologize for the way it came out. I didn't mean it that way. Just come talk to me."
    We're bringing purple back.

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

i don't get why donovan is so mad that T.O. said brett favre instead of another black QB... i think race was the last thing T.O. had on his mind when he said the brett favre quote... what T.O. was probably referring to is that brett plays through all the pain and injury, and that his toughness is intangible to the game, and it shows with the consecutive start streak. it's just going back to last year when T.O. criticized donovan for "being tired" in the waning minutes of last year's super bowl. T.O.

so let me get this straight... he'd be offended if T.O. said he'd rather have brett, but he wouldn't be offended if T.O. had said he'd rather have byron leftwich, a black QB?? according to this logic, would it have been fine if T.O. had said that he'd rather have akili smith?

i'm no packer fan but i would much rather have favre leading my team than leftwich.

i just don't understand donovan's logic... i hate T.O. as much as the rest of ya, but i think donovan's just trying to stir the pot with this stupid race card.

if T.O. hated black quarterbacks then he would've went to baltimore, right? kyle boller's whiter than hank hill's farmer's tan...

Del Rio Guest

Mcnabb is officially a MORON.

First of all Ownes was responding to Irvins question. Irvins question was asked because Brett Favre was struggling in Irvins opinion because he played for a bad team.

So the question was asked would the Eagles succeed with Favre?

WTF? Why does race have to come into play. Again Mcnabb is officially a tool.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

i agree, that is the dumbest comment i have heard from mcnabb. T.O wanting to play with a hall of famer is racism???

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

McNabb is now, in my book, officially an ignorant blockhead.

My son kinda liked him as do other young kids. However, all that will change once I have a father-son talk with him and how he is a piece of cow dung.

Knowing now how stupid this guy is, I cannot believe he did not get along with Owens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast