Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: McCombs eyeing an eventual return to NFL

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I believe Tice finished his HC career at 32 wins and 32 Losses.
    Did he not have winning seasons 3 out of the four years as well?
    NO he finished 32-33 regular season (he coached the final game of 2001), and 33-35 including playoffs.

And he did not have winning seasons 3 out of 4 years.
    He went
    2001 - 5-11
    2002 - 9-7
    2003 - 8-8
    2004 - 9-7
    The only two winning seasons were 02 and 04.
    And the were only winning seasons by one game.

I am sorry, but I can't consider that to be "a very respectable record " by any means.
    Fair enough, but you can't count the first Loss as he wasn't even the HC of the team.
    That was Denny Green's team.
    He finished .500

Wow! Isn't it amazing that a coach with his lack of ability was able to coach an NFL team for four seasons and only have ONE losing record?
    I bet Chilly hopes he can claim the same after another four seasons.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    Everything you said about tice could be said about Chilly. He was 6-10 and had nearly the exact same talent as tice had when he went 9-7 the year before. Chilly was definetly out coached in several games last year. The team was very undisciplined(leading the league in penalties). Chilly has full support of the owner, unlike tice who worked for an owner that didn't care about the vikes or minnesota, chilly has full support of ownership and has been allowed to bring in whatever coaches he chooses.
    I am not saying Chilly is a bad coach but I think Tice (though underqualified) did a fine job as the vikings coach.
    First, he didn't have the same talent that Tice had.
    Two key players that stick out in my mind are Culpepper and KoRo.

Second, Childress has only had one year.
    If he stays for four like Tice did,. but fails to ever break 9 wins in a season, then you can say that they are comparable.

Tice did not do a fine job as our coach.
    He did a mediocre job.
    He neither sank nor soared, but instead just kept his nose barely afloat.
    By guaranteeing mediocrity the way Tice did, the only thing he gave us as fans is a draft pick somewhere in the middle and an occasional playoff loss.
    I want more.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    NO he finished 32-33 regular season (he coached the final game of 2001), and 33-35 including playoffs.

He went
    2001 - 5-11
    2002 - 9-7
    2003 - 8-8
    2004 - 9-7

I am sorry, but I can't consider that to be "a very respectable record " by any means.
    Fair enough, but you can't count the first Loss as he wasn't even the HC of the team.
    He finished .500

Wow! Isn't it amazing that a coach with his lack of ability was able to coach an NFL team for four seasons and only have ONE losing record?
    I doubt it.
    Nobody shoots for mediocrity (except maybe Tice ).
    You aim and hope to win it all.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

He went
    2001 - 5-11
    2002 - 9-7
    2003 - 8-8
    2004 - 9-7

He finished .500

1-15, 8-8, 9-7, 3-13 are all the same if you don't make it deep into the playoffs.
    If you follow a team like the Saints the goal is to make it to the playoffs (2x since 1967).
    If you follow a team that has a winning legacy like the Vikings the goal is to win the Super Bowl.
    They have already won every other form of playoff game multiple times.
    Win it all or it is worthless.
    I would much rather have a team that is building with focus rather than putting on bandaids and giving the appearance of having a team like the Meathead years.
    Face it, that guy was a pathetic leader from the aspect of being on of the guys to scalping SB tickets, to letting the team go into disarray.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    I hope that he buys a team like the Patriots or Cowboys...then sucks the life out of them!
    Heh heh heh!
    Exactly my thought. Only I was kind of hoping he would buy controlling interest in the fudge seekers. Then run them the rest of the way into the ground.

Red is one the worst things that could happen to a franchise.
    Do you mean run another team all the way into the ground like he did with the Vikings?

???

I find it sort of funny that many consider him "running the team into the ground" when he finished his ownership here with a record of 64 and 48.
    Not outstanding by any means, but it is far from running a team into the ground.
    And when it's all said and done, isn't the main thing any sports team cares about the Ws and Ls?

Again...
    I was NEVER a fan of Redneck McCombs...I just think some people are over critical of him.
    At least the Vikings were winners under his ownership.

Zygi's day will come though...I'm just impatient.
    There is more to a franchise than a won loss record. I agree that W-L is the bottom line for judging how a team performs. But Red sucked every penny he could out this franchise just like he did with his other businesses preceeding Vikings ownership.

What did Red leave behind in his wake?

The won and lost record was a product of what was already in place. And was despite hiring the least expensive coaching staff in the league. For that I give Tice credit.

Red traded Moss to stick 6 million in his pocket when he knew he was going to sell the team.

Red cared about Red. I'm surprised he has any fan support!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Everything you said about tice could be said about Chilly. He was 6-10 and had nearly the exact same talent as tice had when he went 9-7 the year before. Chilly was definetly out coached in several games last year. The team was very undisciplined(leading the league in penalties). Chilly has full support of the owner, unlike tice who worked for an owner that didn't care about the vikes or minnesota, chilly has full support of ownership and has been allowed to bring in whatever coaches he chooses.
    I am not saying Chilly is a bad coach but I think Tice (though underqualified) did a fine job as the vikings coach.
    First, he didn't have the same talent that Tice had.
    Two key players that stick out in my mind are Culpepper and KoRo.

Second, Childress has only had one year.
    If he stays for four like Tice did,. but fails to ever break 9 wins in a season, then you can say that they are comparable.

Tice did not do a fine job as our coach.
    He did a mediocre job.
    He neither sank nor soared, but instead just kept his nose barely afloat.
    By guaranteeing mediocrity the way Tice did, the only thing he gave us as fans is a draft pick somewhere in the middle and an occasional playoff loss.
    I want more.
    Chilly did have Chester taylor and Steve Hutch. And having culpepper was more of a liability than an asset for tice. I would say they were pretty even as far as talent, with the slight edge going to Chilly.
    Chilly does get the edge in draft picks, he did get us an earlier pick than Tice. Tice also did give us a playoff victory against the Packers, that alone gives him my support.

"Prophet" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

He went
    2001 - 5-11
    2002 - 9-7
    2003 - 8-8
    2004 - 9-7

He finished .500

1-15, 8-8, 9-7, 3-13 are all the same if you don't make it deep into the playoffs.
    If you follow a team like the Saints the goal is to make it to the playoffs (2x since 1967).
    If you follow a team that has a winning legacy like the Vikings the goal is to win the Super Bowl.
    I would much rather have a team that is building with focus rather than putting on bandaids and giving the appearance of having a team like the Meathead years. Face it, that guy was a pathetic leader from the aspect of being on of the guys to scalping SB tickets, to letting the team go into disarray.
    Face it!???
    I've not only faced it, but already stated it several times in this thread!
    Lol!

"Prophet" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

He went
    2001 - 5-11
    2002 - 9-7
    2003 - 8-8
    2004 - 9-7

He finished .500

I would much rather have a team that is building with focus rather than putting on bandaids and giving the appearance of having a team like the Meathead years.
    Face it, that guy was a pathetic leader from the aspect of being on of the guys to scalping SB tickets, to letting the team go into disarray.
    I completely disagree with "Win it all or it is worthless"
    I have never witnessed the Vikings win a Super Bowl, but certainly don't count ever season they have ever had as worthless...like you do.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I have never witnessed the Vikings win a Super Bowl, but certainly don't count ever season they have ever had as worthless...like you do.
    I didn't write out what I meant.
    To me a 1-15 season isn't necessarily worse than an 8-8 season.
    Take Tice for example, during his tenure he was in mediocrity hell.
    There is no reason to believe that would not have continued if the Vikings kept their heads up their asses and left him as the HC.
    I would much rather see a team being built with purpose that has some growing pains than have a team that will never get the job done.
    The goal is to win the Super Bowl, not make it to the playoffs.
    If there are some sacrifices along the way to attain that goal, rather than saying, "hey, we made it to the playoffs", then I'm willing to support the team during that time.
    I don't get a hard-on just because the Vikings make it to the playoffs.
    I have watched them lose four Super Bowls and watched them in many playoff battles.
    In my mind, there was 0 chance of winning the Super Bowl with Tice at the helm nor was there with a cheap-ass owner like McCombs. So, yes, it is worthless, if you're satisfied with mediocrity then more power to you.
    I am in the Wilf camp, strive for excellence.
    Win the Super Bowl.
    Anything else is unacceptable in the long-term, in the short-term build up the team with purpose.
    I see the team doing exactly that, something I have not seen in a long time.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"Prophet" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I didn't write out what I meant.
    To me a 1-15 season isn't necessarily worse than an 8-8 season.
    Take Tice for example, during his tenure he was in mediocrity hell.
    There is no reason to believe that would not have continued if the Vikings kept their heads up their asses and left him as the HC.
    I would much rather see a team being built with purpose that has some growing pains than have a team that will never get the job done.
    The goal is to win the Super Bowl, not make it to the playoffs.
    If there are some sacrifices along the way to attain that goal, rather than saying, "hey, we made it to the playoffs", then I'm willing to support the team during that time.
    I don't get a hard-on just because the Vikings make it to the playoffs.
    I have watched them lose four Super Bowls and watched them in many playoff battles.
    In my mind, there was 0 chance of winning the Super Bowl with Tice at the helm nor was there with a cheap-ass owner like McCombs. So, yes, it is worthless, if you're satisfied with mediocrity then more power to you.
    I am in the Wilf camp, strive for excellence.
    Win the Super Bowl.
    Anything else is unacceptable in the long-term, in the short-term build up the team with purpose.
    I see the team doing exactly that, something I have not seen in a long time.
    I figured that isn't exactly what you meant.
    ;D
    Just giving you some crap.

I agree with your statement though.
    I think most of us are sick of the mediocrity that goes not only with the Vikings, but (for us locals) the rest of MN sports.
    I completely agree that Tice wasn't taking us anywhere BUT continued mediocrity.

My only point in playing DA here is that some people come down too hard on Tice and McCombs IMO.
    While neither were the long term answer (thats for certain) they didn't drive the team into the ground either.
    They both gave us mediocrity...which is unacceptable yes, but not as bad as it could have been.
    It's too easy to start bashing.
    There were plenty of teams out there in worse shape than we were.
    Does that mean I'm OK with it?
    Absolutely not...but Tice and McCombs were not the worst thing to happen to the Vikings.

On any note...both are gone, and the new beginning is upon us.
    We no longer have a tightwad owner, and have a HC with lots of "potential".

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast