Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: McCombs eyeing an eventual return to NFL

"Prophet" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    McCombs is a disgrace to the NFL.
    It appears to me that some folks have a difficult time standardizing things for comparison.
    Redneck McCombs made one of the biggest blunders in the Vikings' franchise history.....letting an unqualified Meathead take the reigns as coach without looking for a reasonable replacement.
    I will put that into the category of unforgivable.
    May he roast in football hell for an eternity.
    That unqualified Meathead lead the Vikings to a very respectable record for several seasons.
    A much better record than our current HC could pull with similar talent.

And NO I am not bashing on Chilly...I think/pray he will turn out to be a great HC.
    Just playing DA.
    A less than 0.500 record is reasonable with the talent the Vikings had?
    Tice was outcoached consistently.
    The games he won were won in spite of him.
    When it came down to a coaching chess match, which it does many times, Tice folded.
    He was a pathetic excuse for a coach.
    Didn't even get a look as an HC when there were six openings after his contract wasn't renewed.
    He even got a demotion after one year with the Jags.
    Yeah, Tice is really good.

Give Chilly a chance and see if he's good.
    Tice is not as an HC, that was proven.
    I believe Tice finished his HC career at 32 wins and 32 Losses.
    Did he not have winning seasons 3 out of the four years as well?

I don't recall Tice getting a demotion.
    They actually added a responsiblity this year.

From the Jaguars web site:
    Mike Tice is in his second season with the Jaguars as assistant head coach/tight ends and will also be responsible for the tight ends in 2007.
    You are right though, Tice was consistently out coached and was probably not qualified to run an NFL team as a HC.
    I was one of the many calling for his head.
    My main beef was he was more of "one of the guys"...than a leader of the team.
    He was like the parent that wants to be friends with their children than actually parent them.

I have faith in Chilly...just not blind faith.
    If we don't have an impressive season NEXT year though (08')
    I am going to be ready for a new coach with SIMILIAR philosophies.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Red was a very unlikeable tightwad, yes.
    I am also happy he is gone, HOWEVER...
    The Vikings had a lot more talent (and fan base) when Red left than when he first arrived.
    Just something to think about.
    Lucky draft and talent in place before he bought the team is responsible for most of the success he had.

=Z=
    Exactly

Red was the loving owner who traded most of that talent (Moss).
    We have yet to see all the talent Wilf is responsible for but Hutch and Taylor were a good start.
    Also from Wiki...

. The team was running annually twenty to thirty million dollars below the salary cap (very near the league-mandated salary floor), and McCombs showed little inclination to purchase the players he would need to make the team a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    It appears to me that some folks have a difficult time standardizing things for comparison.
    Redneck McCombs made one of the biggest blunders in the Vikings' franchise history.....letting an unqualified Meathead take the reigns as coach without looking for a reasonable replacement.
    That unqualified Meathead lead the Vikings to a very respectable record for several seasons.

And NO I am not bashing on Chilly...I think/pray he will turn out to be a great HC.
    Just playing DA.
    When it came down to a coaching chess match, which it does many times, Tice folded.
    Didn't even get a look as an HC when there were six openings after his contract wasn't renewed.

Mike Tice is in his second season with the Jaguars as assistant head coach/tight ends and will also be responsible for the tight ends in 2007.
    You are right though, Tice was consistently out coached and was probably not qualified to run an NFL team as a HC.
    He was like the parent that wants to be friends with their children than actually parent them.

He finished 32-33 if I recall correctly...including playoffs.
    You may be satisfied with mediocrity, I am not.
    I want a team that is in the thick of it, teams with a strong foundation.
    Not a coach, by his own admission, that was running the offensive schemes of Green's.
    I prefer a coach that has a plan and a brain....building schemes and plans rather than putting band-aids on previous plans.

I stand by Tice getting demoted.
    In 2006 he was touted as asst head coach of the offense and in 2007 and now they are assigning him as the TE coach.
    An asst HC of the offense oversees the entire offense, not one position.
    The entire offense, even as an asst HC is too overwhelming for Tice, much less being an HC.
    One of the worse moments in Vikings history was when Tice was promoted from interim HC to HC without a national search.
    I put that blame entirely on Redneck McCombs who was looking to hire a minimum wage HC while he built up equity so he could sell the team for a huge profit.
    Fuck McCombs.

Jaguars | Tice doing well in Jacksonville - from www.KFFL.com
    Sat, 24 Jun 2006 23:30:52 -0700

Kathleen Nelson, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports former Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Tice is alive and well and living in Jacksonville, Fla., as assistant head coach/offense for the Jacksonville Jaguars. "Mike has been around a lot of really terrific offensive play in Minnesota," Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio said. "He's brought something in here that we've taken a look at as a staff that we've looked at in the offseason, and they look pretty good. We've tweaked our system a little bit to tailor it to the people we have here."
    Jaguars | Tice to coach tight ends - from www.KFFL.com
    Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:01:23 -0800

Vito Stellino, of the Florida Times-Union, reports Jacksonville Jaguars assistant coach Mike Tice will handle tight end coaching duties.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Fuck Redneck McCombs!

"Prophet" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

Just playing DA.

He finished 32-33 if I recall correctly...including playoffs.
    You may be satisfied with mediocrity, I am not.
    I want a team that is in the thick of it, teams with a strong foundation.
    Not a coach, by his own admission, that was running the offensive schemes of Green's.
    I prefer a coach that has a plan and a brain....building schemes and plans rather than putting band-aids on previous plans.

I stand by Tice getting demoted.
    In 2006 he was touted as asst head coach of the offense and in 2007 and now they are assigning him as the TE coach.
    An asst HC of the offense oversees the entire offense, not one position.
    The entire offense, even as an asst HC is too overwhelming for Tice, much less being an HC.
    One of the worse moments in Vikings history was when Tice was promoted from interim HC to HC without a national search.
    I put that blame entirely on Redneck McCombs who was looking to hire a minimum wage HC while he built up equity so he could sell the team for a huge profit.
    Fuck McCombs.

Jaguars | Tice doing well in Jacksonville - from www.KFFL.com
    Sat, 24 Jun 2006 23:30:52 -0700

Kathleen Nelson, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports former Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Tice is alive and well and living in Jacksonville, Fla., as assistant head coach/offense for the Jacksonville Jaguars. "Mike has been around a lot of really terrific offensive play in Minnesota," Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio said. "He's brought something in here that we've taken a look at as a staff that we've looked at in the offseason, and they look pretty good. We've tweaked our system a little bit to tailor it to the people we have here."
    Jaguars | Tice to coach tight ends - from www.KFFL.com
    Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:01:23 -0800

Vito Stellino, of the Florida Times-Union, reports Jacksonville Jaguars assistant coach Mike Tice will handle tight end coaching duties.
    I'm not satisified with mediocrity...which is why I was calling for his head when they fired him.

He didn't get demoted though...he actually got a promotion.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Prophet" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

Just playing DA.

Everything you said about tice could be said about Chilly. He was 6-10 and had nearly the exact same talent as tice had when he went 9-7 the year before. Chilly was definetly out coached in several games last year. The team was very undisciplined(leading the league in penalties). Chilly has full support of the owner, unlike tice who worked for an owner that didn't care about the vikes or minnesota, chilly has full support of ownership and has been allowed to bring in whatever coaches he chooses.
    I am not saying Chilly is a bad coach but I think Tice (though underqualified) did a fine job as the vikings coach.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"cajunvike" wrote:
    I hope that he buys a team like the Patriots or Cowboys...then sucks the life out of them!
    Heh heh heh!
    Exactly my thought. Only I was kind of hoping he would buy controlling interest in the fudge seekers. Then run them the rest of the way into the ground.

Red is one the worst things that could happen to a franchise.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    Everything you said about tice could be said about Chilly. He was 6-10 and had nearly the exact same talent as tice had when he went 9-7 the year before. Chilly was definetly out coached in several games last year. The team was very undisciplined(leading the league in penalties). Chilly has full support of the owner, unlike tice who worked for an owner that didn't care about the vikes or minnesota, chilly has full support of ownership and has been allowed to bring in whatever coaches he chooses.
    I am not saying Chilly is a bad coach but I think Tice (though underqualified) did a fine job as the vikings coach.
    There's a difference that you are overlooking.
    Tice was here, on the coaching staff, before he took over the team.
    He also was an HC for years implementing the same offensive scheme.
    Chilly came in as a new HC from a different franchise and is implementing an entirely different system.
    He has been here for one year, count 'em, one.
    It is completely irrational to compare the two at this juncture of their careers.
    There is nothing I can say about Tice being a good HC while he was here.
    He was pathetic, and that is a compliment.
    He was a fine O-line coach, but HC, forget about it.

Regarding Childress, the 6-10 record is overplayed.
    Consider that six of the losses were by less than a score and the o-line penalities were tops in the league.
    The execution was lacking, partly the coaches fault.
    The Vikings are closer now to breaking out of their shell than they ever were during Tice's reign.
    It is a safe bet to say that even if the Vikings were to make the playoffs during Tice's reign he had no chance of outcoaching the high caliber coaching staffs.
    None.

It is true that Tice didn't have the open checkbook like Childress has regarding supporting staff.
    Thanks Redneck.
    It is yet to be seen if Childress' reign will be productive.
    I really doubt that Tice would have been effective if he was given an open checkbook for his supporting staff.
    Tice was in the top 10 most mentally challenged HCs to ever walk on the field in the NFL.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    NO he finished 32-33 regular season (he coached the final game of 2001), and 33-35 including playoffs.

And he did not have winning seasons 3 out of 4 years.
    He went
    2001 - 5-11
    2002 - 9-7
    2003 - 8-8
    2004 - 9-7
    The only two winning seasons were 02 and 04.
    And the were only winning seasons by one game.

I am sorry, but I can't consider that to be "a very respectable record " by any means.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    I hope that he buys a team like the Patriots or Cowboys...then sucks the life out of them!
    Heh heh heh!
    Exactly my thought. Only I was kind of hoping he would buy controlling interest in the fudge seekers. Then run them the rest of the way into the ground.

Red is one the worst things that could happen to a franchise.
    Do you mean run another team all the way into the ground like he did with the Vikings?
    ???

I find it sort of funny that many consider him "running the team into the ground" when he finished his ownership here with a record of 64 and 48.
    Not outstanding by any means, but it is far from running a team into the ground.
    And when it's all said and done, isn't the main thing any sports team cares about the Ws and Ls?

Again...
    I was NEVER a fan of Redneck McCombs...I just think some people are over critical of him.
    At least the Vikings were winners under his ownership.

Zygi's day will come though...I'm just impatient.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast