Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Maurice Clarett to be released by the Broncos

DENVER (Aug. 28, 2005) -- Maurice Clarett 's first stab at the NFL will end the same way his last two seasons on the sideline did: no carries, no yards, one big disappointment.

Listen to LIVE radio broadcasts of EVERY NFL game!
    Unable to practice much or play at all during the preseason, Clarett will be released by the Denver Broncos later this week, his agent said.

"The kid called me and let me know they're going to let him go," Feldman said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

Clarett's pending release also was reported by ESPN.com.

Broncos spokesman Jim Saccomano said the team didn't plan to release anybody until Aug. 30, which is the deadline for NFL teams to cut rosters to 65 players. The Broncos were off Aug. 28 and scheduled to practice the next day.

The pending release marks a disappointing start to the NFL career of the troubled former Ohio State running back, who missed two years of football after leading the Buckeyes to the national title in 2002.

He got in trouble with the law and was suspended for the 2003 season. At that point, he hadn't been out of high school long enough to be eligible for the NFL draft, so he sued in federal court to become eligible and eventually lost that case.

While sitting out the 2004 season, Clarett turned on Ohio State, alleging coach Jim Tressel arranged for him to get passing grades, cars and money for bogus summer jobs. An NCAA investigation failed to verify any of Clarett's accusations.

He was a bust at the NFL scouting combine and most thought he would be a low draft pick, if a draft pick at all. The Broncos, who have a history of producing great runners from deep in the draft, surprised many by picking him in the third round.

At the time, coach Mike Shanahan said Clarett's sordid past didn't bother him.

"First of all, I think you don't get too caught up in that," Shanahan said. "I know the situation, what's happened. His slate is clean and we're giving him an opportunity."

Clarett made the unusual move of agreeing to a contract that included no signing bonus. He relinquished what would have been about a bonus in exchange for incentives that could have earned him up to $7 million over four years.

If a team claims him off waivers, it will assume the terms of the contract. More likely is that Clarett will clear waivers, become a free agent and sign a new deal.

"I'd love to see someone pick up the contract," Feldman said. "The way the incentives in the contract are, he won't get them with another team."

Clarett came to Denver and said he simply wanted to start over and blend in. He talked a good game, but his chances of making the team were hurt early in training camp when he injured his groin and missed nearly two weeks of practice.

Some teammates questioned Clarett's commitment to rehabilitating the groin and as the missed practices piled up, Shanahan stopped defending Clarett to the media.

Clarett stopped talking to reporters. In one of his last interviews, he told the Denver Post he wanted to be with the Broncos, but "if I get cut, if I don't have a place here, it won't be my first setback."

Clarett was listed fifth on the depth chart behind Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Quentin Griffin and Ron Dayne, who is having a good camp. Shanahan did not play Clarett in any of Denver's three preseason games.

"I think at this point, I'm sure the Broncos did what they thought they needed to do," Feldman said.

Asked if his client was completely healthy, the agent said, "I'm certain he is."

As for the future: "I'm not real confident of anything at this point," Feldman said. "We'll see what happens now."

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: Maurice Clarett to be released by the Broncos

don't know why they picked him anyway

Go vikes!!

vikings6490 is offline Starter

why doesn't that suprise me
    Thanks MF

whoa!

Maurice Clarett? Causing problems? Not working with his team and coaches? Say it ain't so!
    Have you ever had a Big Kahuna Burger?

Banana_Fish is offline Training Camp

Kinda sad actually.. if he had done a deal with lots of signing bonus, they wudve probably kept him.. considering that they had 'invested' some money in him.. however his rediculous contract means that they can just go ahead and cut him and not have to pay him a cent.. or face any cap penalty!!! Dont see how they would keep him unless he had wow'ed them in camp.. and his little injury deprived him of any chance whatsoever to impress!

I dont think ill write him off yet though... but sad to see a kid.. who was touted to be one of the best.. fall so flat!

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

that has to be the biggest waste of a third round pick I have ever seen in my life.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    that has to be the biggest waste of a third round pick I have ever seen in my life.
    I agree with that 100%. Who did they think they were getting? They knew what they were getting into and they still took him, and at the time I didn't think it would be that bad. He is a talented kid and I thought that if he's going to succeed anywhere, Denver would probably be it.

But what a waste.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

i think that the broncos thought that claurret might turn out to be better than he was supposed to be. But as everyone else knew he really does suck and the broncos found that out the hard way via a waste of a 3rd round pick

Go vikes!!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I got one word for Clarett....

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

:laughing3: Now thats funny.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast