Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 23 of 23

Thread: Matt Birk

  1. #21
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:Matt Birk

    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Minniman wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    question, a little off topic though.

    Did you happen to watch Richardson in the Jets game? He certainly wasn't injured or benched. In fact, he's still got it.
    I did not understand that move for the Vikings. Richardson blows defenders off the line or seals them from the hole. He has been the point man of the attack for some of the best running backs in the NFL, and that is no coincidence.

    Tahi has trouble even getting to the hole as quickly as the back behind him, and then he misses blocks as often as makes them. It is no wonder Peterson has wanted to take the rock from the Ace, Deuce, or Trips formations rather than the I.
    I don`t understand it either. Some will tell you we don`t need a pure fullback like Richardson, and gone are the days of a power blocker/runner, yet stick up for Tahi, who`s really only marginal at best at blocking, and terrible in all other facets.

    although, I will say, at the time we had Tapeh, not Tahi as FB. He was a bit faster, and more of a receiving/running threat than Tahi is, he still wasn`t what one would call a great player.
    Who sticks up for Tahi that way?

    Very few on here even talk good about him and the couple that do, only point out that we don't really use a FB in this scheme and when we do it isn't as a offensive threat as most on here pine for.

    Me thinks you completely miss those cats points about Mr. Tahi.
    yet, I still don`t get your argument. You say we don`t need an offensive threat as a FB. What do we need then, a reliable blocker? I believe Richardson was exactly that, Tahi is not.

    Maybe, if we had a fullback who could be a threat we`d use him more. Check Richardson`s receiving stats as a Viking vs. Tahi`s. Hell of alot better, because he was a hell of alot better player.

  2. #22
    Vikes's Avatar
    Vikes is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,733

    Re:Matt Birk

    skum wrote:
    Matt Birk needed a new challenge to revive his career, his play after his injury and surgery a few years back had been declining, i can't blame the Vikings, nor can i blame Birk for splitting up.. It was the right thing to do..

    Birk is a class act and a good football player which i will always respect..
    Well said...I was ready for us to move on without Birk.
    300

    The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

    300

  3. #23
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,369

    Re:Matt Birk

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Minniman wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    question, a little off topic though.

    Did you happen to watch Richardson in the Jets game? He certainly wasn't injured or benched. In fact, he's still got it.
    I did not understand that move for the Vikings. Richardson blows defenders off the line or seals them from the hole. He has been the point man of the attack for some of the best running backs in the NFL, and that is no coincidence.

    Tahi has trouble even getting to the hole as quickly as the back behind him, and then he misses blocks as often as makes them. It is no wonder Peterson has wanted to take the rock from the Ace, Deuce, or Trips formations rather than the I.
    I don`t understand it either. Some will tell you we don`t need a pure fullback like Richardson, and gone are the days of a power blocker/runner, yet stick up for Tahi, who`s really only marginal at best at blocking, and terrible in all other facets.

    although, I will say, at the time we had Tapeh, not Tahi as FB. He was a bit faster, and more of a receiving/running threat than Tahi is, he still wasn`t what one would call a great player.
    Who sticks up for Tahi that way?

    Very few on here even talk good about him and the couple that do, only point out that we don't really use a FB in this scheme and when we do it isn't as a offensive threat as most on here pine for.

    Me thinks you completely miss those cats points about Mr. Tahi.
    yet, I still don`t get your argument. You say we don`t need an offensive threat as a FB. What do we need then, a reliable blocker? I believe Richardson was exactly that, Tahi is not.

    Maybe, if we had a fullback who could be a threat we`d use him more. Check Richardson`s receiving stats as a Viking vs. Tahi`s. Hell of alot better, because he was a hell of alot better player.
    Having a FB in the game, and not having him a threat to run or catch a pass is not the Bill Walsh WCO scheme that I know. The FB must be a threat to keep the linebackers honest and off the halfback.

    With Tahi in the game at fullback, a linebacker can be set to shadow Peterson without much worry of Tahi's offensive skills. The defender can also key Tahi to the hole and attack the gap. Some defenses used the second scheme a lot against the Vikings.

    Tahi is serviceable, but he is not the Pro Bowl fullback that Richardson was. One should note that Richardson often lined up as the H back in the Ace. Sauce or Dugan do this now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 04:27 PM
  2. About Matt Birk
    By Forever Vikings in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
  3. Matt Birk
    By vikings_fan66 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 05:11 PM
  4. Q & A with Matt Birk
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 07:02 PM
  5. Matt Birk
    By Justin311 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 06:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •