Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Birk

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:Matt Birk

Marrdro wrote:
    Minniman wrote:
    AFC Wild Card Game Pats vs Ravens

On the first play from scrimmage, Matt Birk makes the snap and stands up the defensive nosetackle. Ray Rice blasts through the hole into the second level and on to an 83 yard run and a touchdown.

Compare this to Sullivan, his replacement for the Vikings, who often doesn't stand up the nose of the 3-4, and Peterson is left with no hole.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,

All by himself huh? Did you watch how many times they gave ole Matty B help.

How about the play he missed his assignment and fell flat on his ass? Or the 3 when he got blew up and wound up on his ass in the backfield?

I for one love that we can now run screens.

Comeon my friend, you gotta do better than that if you want to prove that Sully isn't gonna be just another great in a long line of Vikings Centers.
    question, a little off topic though.

Did you happen to watch Richardson in the Jets game? He certainly wasn't injured or benched. In fact, he's still got it.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Minniman wrote:

On the first play from scrimmage, Matt Birk makes the snap and stands up the defensive nosetackle. Ray Rice blasts through the hole into the second level and on to an 83 yard run and a touchdown.

Compare this to Sullivan, his replacement for the Vikings, who often doesn't stand up the nose of the 3-4, and Peterson is left with no hole.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,

How about the play he missed his assignment and fell flat on his ass? Or the 3 when he got blew up and wound up on his ass in the backfield?

Comeon my friend, you gotta do better than that if you want to prove that Sully isn't gonna be just another great in a long line of Vikings Centers.

Did you happen to watch Richardson in the Jets game? He certainly wasn't injured or benched. In fact, he's still got it.
    Out of Sharper, Birk, and Richardson, Tony is the guy we miss the most IMO.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

marstc09 wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Minniman wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,

Out of Sharper, Birk, and Richardson, Tony is the guy we miss the most IMO.
    Agreed

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Antonio Johnson will own Birk next weekend.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I did not understand that move for the Vikings. Richardson blows defenders off the line or seals them from the hole. He has been the point man of the attack for some of the best running backs in the NFL, and that is no coincidence.

Tahi has trouble even getting to the hole as quickly as the back behind him, and then he misses blocks as often as makes them. It is no wonder Peterson has wanted to take the rock from the Ace, Deuce, or Trips formations rather than the I.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Minniman wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

I did not understand that move for the Vikings. Richardson blows defenders off the line or seals them from the hole. He has been the point man of the attack for some of the best running backs in the NFL, and that is no coincidence.

Tahi has trouble even getting to the hole as quickly as the back behind him, and then he misses blocks as often as makes them. It is no wonder Peterson has wanted to take the rock from the Ace, Deuce, or Trips formations rather than the I.
    I don`t understand it either. Some will tell you we don`t need a pure fullback like Richardson, and gone are the days of a power blocker/runner, yet stick up for Tahi, who`s really only marginal at best at blocking, and terrible in all other facets.

although, I will say, at the time we had Tapeh, not Tahi as FB. He was a bit faster, and more of a receiving/running threat than Tahi is, he still wasn`t what one would call a great player.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Minniman wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

I don`t understand it either. Some will tell you we don`t need a pure fullback like Richardson, and gone are the days of a power blocker/runner, yet stick up for Tahi, who`s really only marginal at best at blocking, and terrible in all other facets.

although, I will say, at the time we had Tapeh, not Tahi as FB. He was a bit faster, and more of a receiving/running threat than Tahi is, he still wasn`t what one would call a great player.
    Who sticks up for Tahi that way?

Very few on here even talk good about him and the couple that do, only point out that we don't really use a FB in this scheme and when we do it isn't as a offensive threat as most on here pine for.

Me thinks you completely miss those cats points about Mr. Tahi.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Minniman wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Minniman wrote:

Not all by himself, but interior line play often has combination blocks, so that is par for the course.

Since I posted after the first play of the game to make a point about that play as it contrasts to the Vikings line play, no.

I agree with many Vikings fans that Birk did not play well for the Vikings after his injury. He would make a good block and then just get blown out on the next play. Of course, on some plays he was asked to pull and the back didn't come in and protect that hole. That was not Birk's fault even though the guy across from him at the snap made the play.

Come on my friend, you gotta do better than that if you want to prove that Sully isn't gonna be just another great in a long line of Vikings Centers.
    I do not know how good Sullivan will be. I do not see him standing up the nose as often as I would like, and daylight at the 1&2 holes have been almost nonexistent at times this season.

There have been problems at right guard, and linemen have been playing injured, but sometimes it is just the ability to get under the pads and taking the defender out of the play.

On another board, I broke down a left sweep play in which Sullivan was supposed to pull and could not get to the point of attack. I wanted to see if Sullivan and Loadholt were the problem as newbies to the line. If someone who did not know line play was looking at the play, they would see that Sullivan did not complete his assignment, but it was McKinnie getting blown of the line on a running play that caused the breakdown. McKinnie and the defender actually blocked Sullivan off from the play. Rice and Sauce also had poor downfield blocks. On that play, there were three breakdowns and none of them were Sullivan or Loadholt. On the play, Peterson was hit for a loss of two yards and a fumble.

I will say that Sullivan had a good seal block on Peterson's 23 yard quick snap run at the end of the first quarter against the Giants. I would like to see more of that.
    You need to bring that OL breakdown to this board my friend. There are several on here who gobble that kindof stuff up.

Been watching the stat lines between the two of them, and Matt appears to be playing OK (has a better stat line) over there for the Ravens (not a ZB scheme) and the games I've watched he has also had his issues as his age is really showing at times.

Unlike most, I believe that the Chiller and Co. new there was a damn good chance that the Noodle was gonna be on the team long before he got here and that knowledge helped the staff to make the decision to make a move at Center because of the experience the Noodle brings with respect to making line calls/pre-snap adjustments.

For me, Sully probably has had a few issues this year, but in the end, I don't think he has hurt the team anymore than Matt would have at this point and he is gonna get better over time wereas, Matt is only going to keep degrading because of past injuries and age.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Minniman wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,

LOL, yea after resting all year, his legs were fresh.

Comeon my friend, did you really watch that game? That offensive line makes wholes big enough that even I could play FB behind them.

VikingsFan661 is offline Training Camp

Matt Birk is a class act, no doubt about that, but we all know that the Ravens O-Line isn't 100% dependent on him anyways, because if it was they would be screwed (as would any O-Line if it was dependent on one guy). For us, our struggles this year with the O-Line have mainly been with Herrera, although close to the end of the season McKinnie was screwing up pretty bad.
    None

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast