michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Mark Bulger out for at least three weeks!!

Guess who they play in 3 weeks? the vikes will be facing a Bulger-less ram team. Hellllll Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

(Nov. 21, 2005) -- The St. Louis Rams won back-to-back games without Marc Bulger last month, and another shoulder injury to their quarterback will test them again.

Results of an MRI exam revealed no tear or separation. The injury was described as a bruise after a 38-28 loss to the Cardinals, and interim coach Joe Vitt said Bulger was "sore; very, very sore."

Bulger also sustained a mild concussion and told stlouisrams.com, "It's going to be at least a couple of weeks. We'll see if it's longer."

Bulger needed three weeks to recuperate from his last injury -- two games plus the team's bye. He got blindsided on a sack by blitzing safety Adrian Wilson in the third quarter on Nov. 20 and needed his left hand to put on a hat after making to the sideline.

Backup quarterback Jamie Martin finished the game and likely will start this week at Houston with rookie Ryan Fitzpatrick moving to second string. The 36-year-old Martin led the team to a pair of victories against the Saints and Jaguars, the first two victories of his NFL career.

"You can't doubt Jamie after what he's done," center Andy McCollum said. "Absolutely, we feel comfortable with him out there. He does a heck of a job."

Martin enters a difficult situation. The loss to the Cardinals reduced the Rams (4-6) to longshot status for a wild-card berth, putting them three games behind in that race with six to play, and they trail the Seahawks by four games in the NFC West.

The Rams had entered the bye week with momentum that was first stifled with a loss at Seattle. Vitt, the linebackers coach and assistant head coach, has a 2-3 record while filling in since Mike Martz stepped down for the season due to a heart ailment. Vitt said tough times can define a team.

"What I'm not going to do is take an air hose and stick it in their ear and start pumping them up," Vitt said. "Hey, none of us slept last night; we all feel terrible.

"I've said it before, I don't think anybody out there or here or anywhere is going to feel sorry about our sad story; it's up to us."

Vitt, who directed a pair of victories in his first two games, suddenly appears to be presiding over a team that's springing leaks everywhere.

Against the Cardinals, the running game managed only 6 yards on 12 carries, all by Steven Jackson, for the second-worst total in franchise history. The team continued to commit penalties at inopportune times. Protection broke down again when Martin got clocked in the fourth quarter on a sack and forced fumble that helped Arizona put the game away.

"We're making the same mistakes over and over and over again, and really I have to say to myself that they're doing it, it's like I'm allowing it," Vitt said.

Vitt has addressed penalties by having referees at practice and then by charting the mistakes and showing them to players the next morning. He threatened to hold practice until 7 p.m., repeating a play whenever there's an error, if that's what it took to eliminate them.

He said keeping track of Wilson was a practice-week priority, and then Wilson racked up three sacks, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

"We put him in the Pro Bowl yesterday," Vitt said.

Bulger isn't the only player who's hurting. Safety Adam Archuleta and offensive guard Blaine Saipaia both spent the night in a hospital with concussions. Their availability for this week's game likely is in doubt.

Archuleta was hurt in a collision when his helmet made contact with teammate DeJuan Groce's neck on the Cardinals' first offensive play. Groce returned in the third quarter and Archuleta played a few more series before retiring for the day.

"To his credit he tried to stay in there and battle, but, boy, he was really woozy on the sideline," Vitt said. "Same thing with Blaine."

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserve

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Re: Mark Bulger out for at least three weeks!!

Well, at least I have Tom Brady as a fantasy backup. Thanks for the heads up. The Rams are screwed now. BWAH-HAH-HAH!!! In your FACE!!!

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Jamie Martin is still a good enough QB to beat us if we don't show up.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Remember the "Any Given Sunday..." talk!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I heard he was out for the rest of the year, but anywho....

Does Chad Hutchinson ring a bell?? There have been sooooo many backups to come in and whoop our asses in the past, that just because Jamie Martin is playing doesn't mean this is a guarantee.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah but this is a different defense, we're not looking back at two or three years ago when Brian Williams was a second year player and our best CB. I think we can handle them, but we got to get pressure on him cause they do have esac and tory, give those guys time and they will do damage.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Hey weren't the Bears supposed to be terrible after they lost Grossman, oh yah, there are more players on the feild than the QB.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Let's hope that the Vikings don't take this one for granted if Bulger doesn't come back earlier than expected...Martin isn't that special, but we still have to play well on defense and stop their offense...as well as getting our offense going well enough to score and to keep our defense off the field enough to keep them well-rested!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE