Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Marinelli Done in Detroit

"STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Although I believe the coaching staff should bare some blame, this is a prime example of how a FO can screw up a team if they don't get the right guys/players to fit the system.

New GM, New Coaching staff, some decent pieces in place, ..........
    Could they be the new Falcons, Ravens next year?
    I think it will be more of the same. When one of the things you have going for you, is getting a severely less mobile then in his prime and has a bad shoulder daunte culpepper back, you've got big big issues.
    Hey its possible for them to get their act together.. if they patch up their OLine, Kevin Smith and Rudi Johnson have the potential to do some damage.
    Right now because of their QB situation - they were forced to carry FIVE QB's on their Roster.
    Oh, and not to mention NINE WR's

Thats 14 players taking up 53 of the roster spots, between WR & QB alone.
    Ideally those positions should only take up between 7 and 9 slots.
    Thats a direct indication of the piss poor management stemming from one of the worst GM's in all of professional sports, ever.

Calvin Johnson is enough to build a team around

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Although I believe the coaching staff should bare some blame, this is a prime example of how a FO can screw up a team if they don't get the right guys/players to fit the system.

I think it will be more of the same. When one of the things you have going for you, is getting a severely less mobile then in his prime and has a bad shoulder daunte culpepper back, you've got big big issues.
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Hey its possible for them to get their act together.. if they patch up their OLine, Kevin Smith and Rudi Johnson have the potential to do some damage.
    Right now because of their QB situation - they were forced to carry FIVE QB's on their Roster.
    Oh, and not to mention NINE WR's

Thats 14 players taking up 53 of the roster spots, between WR & QB alone.
    Ideally those positions should only take up between 7 and 9 slots.
    Thats a direct indication of the piss poor management stemming from one of the worst GM's in all of professional sports, ever.

Calvin Johnson is enough to build a team around

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    Marinelli is a much better coach than the record indicates.
    Put into a horrid situation, I would be surprised if he disappears from the coaching realms.
    Detroit is a bad situation for anyone to be in or to get into. BUt with a new front office maybe things can get better eventullay for them. They do have a few nice player to build around and a nice bunch of draft picks
    coming up as well. As A new coach coming in I would be worried about how much of a chnce I would be given to turn it around.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Good place for Mangini to land..... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VKG4LFE is online now Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

This is a big shocker!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Interesting Viking related tidbit from PFT. They took a look back at what they wrote whne he was first hired by the Lions.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/29/pft-rewind-the-hiring-of-rod-marinelli/

IS MARINELLI THE NEXT LES STECKEL?

Allow us to step away from the growing throng of folks who already have declared the hiring of former Bucs defensive line coach Rod Marinelli to be a “home run” in Motown and utter a phrase to which military types like Marinelli surely can relate.

“Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it.”

We say this because Marinelli reminds several league insiders of the last Sgt. York-type who decided to apply principles of the battle field to an NFL practice field.

Les Steckel.
    Minnesota Vikings.

Steckel was the hand-picked successor to Hall of Famer Bud Grant.
    A Vietnam veteran, Steckel was a disciplinarian who installed an obstacle course at training camp.

The team responded with a 3-13 season, despite having essentially the same players who went 8-8 under Grant in 1983, and 7-9 in 1985 after Grant returned for a season in an effort to reverse the damage that Steckel had inflicted on the franchise.

Though Marinelli, also a Vietnam vet, likely won’t turn minicamp into boot camp, the Lions can count on something far more demanding than the training camps they’ve seen in years past.

“I believe in pad practices,” Marinelli said Thursday.

As one league insider said on Friday, “Sure, they’ll be disciplined.
    They’ll be the most disciplined 3-13 team in NFL history.”As we see it, if pro football players didn’t respond well to the jarhead thing 22 years ago, they won’t respond to it any better now.

Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach

I heard they presented him with the much coveted "Bronze Fishing Hat" award on his way out.
    Just being light-hearted, I know he's a great guy and has the "stuff" to turn this into a positive and he will land on his feet somewhere.
    In fact, he'll probably come back to haunt us at some point down the road!
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12