Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Mangini and Browns following Belichick blueprint

The Browns are following a proven blueprint for building a football team one month into free agency, and it is no wonder given one of the architects, Eric Mangini, learned from the master builder himself, Bill Belichick.

http://morningjournal.com/articles/2...s/mj817998.txt

A very interesting read.
    Kindof shoots everyone in the face who keep spouting off on how bad our offseason has been this year because we haven't ran out and signed every "Big Name" FA on the market...... :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Mangini and Browns following Belichick blueprint

Scott Pioli was the vice president of player personnel in New England for nine years and the man charged with finding those specific players for Belichick.
    Interesting concept huh?
    VP of PP finds the player the coaches need/want......... :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Scott Pioli was the vice president of player personnel in New England for nine years and the man charged with finding those specific players for Belichick.
    Interesting concept huh?
    I really hope you aren't honestly comparing Spielman and Childress to Belichik and Pioli. If so you really need to see an optometrist.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Interesting concept huh?
    I really hope you aren't honestly comparing Spielman and Childress to Belichik and Pioli. If so you really need to see an optometrist.
    You know, this is probably the lamest attempt used by people on here to try to make thier point.....

"Your not really trying to compare ours to thiers....."

Seriously, thats the best you got?

Lets try to take the grown up approach and actually look at/compare the process and procedures being followed by both staffs (not just the two/four chuckleheads you limit your lame response to) and see if maybe, just maybe there is some sort of similiarity...... :

Come back to me after you do that.
    I will be back from the eye doc by then.
    ;D

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Interesting concept huh?
    You know, this is probably the lamest attempt used by people on here to try to make thier point.....

Lets try to take the grown up approach and actually look at/compare the process and procedures being followed by both staffs (not just the two/four chuckleheads you limit your lame response to) and see if maybe, just maybe there is some sort of similiarity...... :

;D
    OK, Humor me then.

Lets start with the QB position.

They had a very good QB when they took over but knew that the QB was the most important position on the field so they drafted this one guy in the 6th round to develop. When he became the starter due to injury, they redid the offense to play to his strength and that led to a SB victory. When that QB went down last year they insertd a guy who hadn't started a game since HS and went on to an 11-5 record by once again changing the offense to adjust to his capabilities.

OTOH we have spent 3 seasons fucking around with the position and trying to plug either sub par talent or to take talent with potential and asking them to do things they are not built to do well.

I could go on but if that isn't enough for you to absorb then any more would be lost in translation.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Interesting concept huh?

;D
    OK, Humor me then.

They had a very good QB when they took over but knew that the QB was the most important position on the field so they drafted this one guy in the 6th round to develop. When he became the starter due to injury, they redid the offense to play to his strength and that led to a SB victory. When that QB went down last year they insertd a guy who hadn't started a game since HS and went on to an 11-5 record by once again changing the offense to adjust to his capabilities.

OTOH we have spent 3 seasons fricken around with the position and trying to plug either sub par talent or to take talent with potential and asking them to do things they are not built to do well.

I could go on but if that isn't enough for you to absorb then any more would be lost in translation.
    OK, if we must dwell on specifics, instead of the process we can.
    Such a shame though as the article is really good about laying that process out.

Yes this staff seems to suck at fixing the QB position.
    Wow, I feel better now that I've got that off my chest for the umpteenthbazillion time.... ;D

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Interesting concept huh?

;D
    OK, Humor me then.

OTOH we have spent 3 seasons fricken around with the position and trying to plug either sub par talent or to take talent with potential and asking them to do things they are not built to do well.

OK, if we must dwell on specifics, instead of the process we can.
    Such a shame though as the article is really good about laying that process out.

Yes this staff seems to suck at fixing the QB position.
    Wow, I feel better now that I've got that off my chest for the umpteenthbazillion time.... ;D
    OK

Lets look at the process.

How are they similar?
    The Pats would see a player that they liked and would then bring them in and adjust the system to take advantage of their strengths. Heck, they even took a WR and converted them to play in the defensive secondary and went on to win a SB.

OTOH we need to find a player with a specific skill set and it still takes 1.5 to 2 years to get them to adjust to the way the coaches want things instead of just reworking the system to make the player more successful.

Here is a paragraph from the bio of Pioli on the Pats website:
    http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=MgersandExecsbio&bio=12539
    Once Pioli and Belichick arrived in New England in 2000, it took the pair just two seasons to rebuild the foundation of the team. Since orchestrating the franchise's first Super Bowl victory following the 2001 season, Pioli and Belichick have produced consistently solid results, becoming the only personnel director/head coach tandem in NFL history to win three Super Bowls in a four-year span (2001-04). The Patriots are the only NFL team to win at least one playoff game in each of the last five seasons (2003-07) and are the only team in the league to win nine or more games in each of the last seven seasons (2001-07

There is nothing in common between the two. They are worlds apart.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

It's been said many times that this is a copycat league, so if a blueprint, or formula works well for another team, you can bet that it will be noticed. Teams will and are taking a simular approach as the Patriots in the way they build a team thus bringing their worlds, and thought processes closer together.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Using Marrdro's train of thought: I think Spielmann is doing a great job... but Childress doesn't know how to utilize the talent Spielmann finds.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    Using Marrdro's train of thought: I think Spielmann is doing a great job... but Childress doesn't know how to utilize the talent Spielmann finds.
    Finally, someone who gets the big picture.
    ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast