singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Loophole an issue for NFL officials

Posted on Tue, Mar. 28, 2006

[size=18px]Loophole an issue for NFL officials[/size]

Tagliabue wants to ban offer-sheet poison pills

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Vikings officials weren't tipping their hand Monday on how they plan to handle the Seattle Seahawks' seven-year, $49 million offer sheet to wide receiver Nate Burleson, but it was a topic of conversation at the NFL owners meeting in Orlando, Fla.

It even drew the attention of NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who said he planned to discuss the Burleson offer sheet and the strikingly similar seven-year, $49 million deal the Vikings used to pinch all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson from Seattle with NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw next week.

Specifically, Tagliabue said the league will seek to close a loophole that both teams have exposed in the offer-sheet process by including so-called "poison-pill" clauses that effectively would force the Vikings, in Burleson's case, to guarantee his full contract if they decide to match Seattle's offer.

"I think these issues that have been raised by the offer sheets by Seattle and Minnesota need to be addressed," Tagliabue told reporters in his opening remarks at the meeting. "I think it's not what was contemplated.

It's a similar set of (loopholes) to what we had when the rules first came in place from the Will Wolford contract, and we will be addressing them with the players association. I will be talking to Gene Upshaw next week."

Wolford, a Pro Bowl guard, moved from Buffalo to Indianapolis in 1993 after the Bills declined to match an offer sheet that would have forced them to make him the team's highest-paid player.

A 1994 revision of the collective bargaining agreement closed that loophole, but an NFL special master last week upheld a clause in the Vikings' offer sheet to Hutchinson that would have forced the Seahawks to guarantee his contract if he wasn't the team's highest-paid offensive lineman.

Seattle responded Friday with its offer to Burleson, which included two poison-pill clauses, including one that calls for his contract to be guaranteed if he plays five games in any season in the state of Minnesota.
    Tagliabue was not amused.

"The mind of creative people has no limits," he said. "It was not in the spirit of the deal, nor was the offer sheet of Wolford. We need to address it."

Vikings coach Brad Childress and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski, who are among the team officials attending the owners meeting, declined to answer reporters' questions about whether they intend to match the Burleson offer sheet or how long they might take to decide.

The prevailing theory is that no decision will be made until Friday's deadline.

Interestingly, the Vikings and Seahawks both were talking to Burleson about a four-year contract worth close to $14.5 million, including roughly $5.25 million in guaranteed money, before Seattle presented its offer sheet.

The Seahawks added three years and $34 million to their offer only after the Vikings rejected their trade offer of a third-round draft choice, insisting on a second-round pick.

As a restricted free agent, Burleson would cost Seattle a third-round draft choice as compensation to the Vikings, should they decline to match.

Loophole an issue for NFL officials

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Loophole an issue for NFL officials

I wonder if they can change the rules enough to whereas Rob can't find a way to find another loophole.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

rob's job is to find loopholes..

I trust he'll find more..

DiGiTaL

and i'm glad he's on our side!!

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"digital420" wrote:
    rob's job is to find loopholes..

I trust he'll find more..

DiGiTaL

and i'm glad he's on our side!!
    Rob Rocks.... He is a CAP GOD!

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

Rob is the King Of Cap.