Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: looking closely at expanding to 17 games with international flavor

"dsharp" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    It would also toss a pickle into the record books.
    All players would have an extra game to pad stats.
    Expanding to 16 games already did that.
    I think the record books can stand another change.
    Expansion has been happening long before the increase to 16 games.

http://wiwi.essortment.com/americanfootbal_rwff.htm

I for one think it is a bad idea.
    Jet lag, shortened weeks between games, security of the players etc etc etc.

We already had two teams go on record this year about concerns over logistics and schedules for preseason games (don't count) this season (Patriots/Seattle).....
    I for one thought thier comments were watered down because they didn't want to PO the commissioner.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092400715.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....insidethenfl/

Imagine what kindof impact a regular season game could have on a win loss record.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Don't like the idea at all. I still stand by the views I had for the regular season games being played outside of the US - don't do it !

If the NFL wants to promote the game more globally then thats good but do it with pre-season games or exhibitions and not the regular season.
    The logistics and organisation that teams would have to go through and then expect top performances from players is not fair on anyone. But thats just my two pennyworth
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Football is an American sport. Keep the regular season/playoff games in America.

I don't mind them having one exibition/type pre-season game over their like they have done in the past. But keep it to one game & two teams.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

POSTED 10:55 p.m. EDT, May 10, 2007

UNION CONSENT KEY TO 17TH GAME
    pft.com

Lost in the discussion regarding whether the NFL will add a seventeenth regular season game is the question of whether the union that represents the league's on-field employees will agree to subject the rank-and-file to another week of practice and preparation for, and participation in, an extra regular-season game.

Folks like ESPN's John Clayton, who says that the union will want 59 percent of the revenue generated by an extra game that counts, are ignoring the fact that the players already would get 59 percent of the revenue from an extra game, because that revenue would automatically fall within the scope of the total football revenue formula in the CBA.

The better question, as we see it, is whether the union will want to bump the formula higher in exchange for expanding the regular season -- or whether the union will want some other concessions.

Collective bargaining is an active give-and-take process.
    If management wants something, then management needs to be prepared to give something up.
    If the union wants more than what the owners will give, there won't be an extra regular-season game.

If the NFL and the union can work out a deal, we think that it's a great idea.
    And, as we mentioned when the Commissioner first broached the possibility of adding another game in the days before the draft, we believe that the 16 extra regular-season games created by the addition of a seventeenth week should be used not only as a tool for exporting the sport to other countries but also as a way to fill the void in Los Angeles without having to move a team there.
    Even if as many as eight games are played on foreign soil, eight games could be played in L.A., creating the same number of dates that a "home" team would play there.

Obvious candidates for a regular trek to Los Angeles would be the Rams, Raiders, Chargers, 49ers, Cowboys, Seahawks, Cardinals, and Broncos.

But before we begin scheduling the games, the league needs to make sure that the union is on board.
    And the union should use the league's desire to add another game as a way to extract a few terms from the NFL.

For starters, how about that independent arbitrator to hear appeals of suspensions under the Personal Conduct Policy?

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Just more proof that the teams don't like it, even though they won't come out and admit it.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10183279

London, foreign forays taking NFL way off course

So the league decides to take one of its regular-season games -- in this case, the Giants vs. Dolphins -- to London, and the initial response is overwhelming. Within 72 hours of the announcement, there were half million orders for the 90,000 seats at Wembley Stadium.

Great.

In the meantime, there are 61,000 Miami season-ticket holders who are down to seven games. That's not so great, for the fans or the coaching staff. The fans lose a home date and the coaches lose a competitive advantage -- and for what? I wish I could tell you, but there was no one from the Dolphins here to answer that question.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

But why stop there? Commissioner Roger Goodell last month floated the idea of playing a Super Bowl ... yes, a Super Bowl ... outside the United States, though he said it wouldn't happen before 2012 at the earliest. Please, don't get me started.
    and that has got to be a definite no-no !
    I don't think the NFL realises how many fans they will tick off if they do something like that
    :

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"AngloVike" wrote:
    But why stop there? Commissioner Roger Goodell last month floated the idea of playing a Super Bowl ... yes, a Super Bowl ... outside the United States, though he said it wouldn't happen before 2012 at the earliest. Please, don't get me started.
    I don't think the NFL realises how many fans they will tick off if they do something like that
    :
    If they want to see a Bowl game outside of the United States, it should be the Pro Bowl.........nothing else.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    :
    If they want to see a Bowl game outside of the United States, it should be the Pro Bowl.........nothing else.
    might be one way of getting players selected to the Pro Bowl to actually go instead of crying off with end of season injuries

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I don't agree with the idea of the Superbowl going abroad, and I think Singer's idea of the Pro Bowl going abroad (beyond Hawaii) is a great idea. But it has to be to warm-weather climates, or even fewer players would want to go.. But from a selfish point of view I LOVE the idea of more NFL games going abroad; especially as you know a sizeable chunk of them would come to London.

Hey, I said it was from a selfish perspective.

I don't agree that the teams are against the idea; what about the Patriots? They (or more specifically, owner Bob Kraft) were desperate to go to China for the so-dubbed "China Bowl". The security issue, again, I don't see how that's much different from most NFL games. All the teams these days take chartered flights, right?

Again, I'm selfish.

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

If this means i have a better shot of seeing a Vikings game in PA. Im all for it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast