HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

A Look Back At The 2009 NFL Draft

As I'm looking back at the 2007 NFL Draft, I can't help notice that the Vikings came out of the draft as the biggest winners. Three years later, the Vikings had the NFL's best running back, one of the best wide receivers, and one of the best situational pass rushers. All of them was a part of the 2007 Vikings' draft class. Perhaps even more remarkable, the Vikings struck gold for the second time in only three years.

The Vikings had much later draft picks in 2009 compared to 2007, but they still managed to come out as arguably the biggest winners yet again.

Summary of the Vikings' 2009 draft (grades are based on the order of which the player was selected and how he performed during his rookie season):

1. Round: Percy "No Mercy" Harvin - Winner of the Rookie of the Year. Enough said!
    Grade: A+

2. Round: Phil "The Load" Loadholt - One of the best rookie offensive tackles who started every game. I actually like him more than McKinney.
    Grade: A

3. Round: Asher Allen - Flashed potentials and may be the starter this year. He reminds me of Winfield.
    Grade: B-

5. Round: Jasper Brinkley - Started at the end of his rookie season because of injury to E.J. Looks like a solid run stopper.
    Grade: B+

7. Round: Jamarca Sanford - Surprised me in a positive way. I think he's the best tackling safety on our roster and he might even be the starting safety this year.
    Grade: B

Overall grade: A

Conclusive: As I see it, the Vikings had the best draft class in 2009: Two unquestionable starters and three backups with starter potentials is way better that I had imagined. It is also very rare that all of a team's draft picks could be starting in their second season.

For fun, here's the draft report card (with Grades) for all 32 teams before the 2009 season.

And this is an article that was posted near the end of the season with A look back at the 2009 NFL Draft's first round.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:A Look Back At The 2009 NFL Draft

Hey,

Great stuff my friend, thanks. Truth of the matter is, we are getting better at drafting, mostly because of the increased emphasis the new owner put on scouting.

Taking a look back at the draft record since the new regime took over, I don't think anyone in thier right mind would say that the whole area has not only gotten better, it is the prime reason we are so good across the board.

Mr. Studwell, and his counterpart in the FA world, Mr. Patton, deserve mad props for the success of the rebuilding of this team.

1 Percy Harvin Florida - ROY. Not going anywhere.
    2 Phil Loadholt Oklahoma - Starter. Had some struggles but that was expected.
    3 Asher Allen Georgia - Backup role. Provided some very nice reps in back to our LCB who went down again.
    5 Jasper Brinkley South Carolina - Backup Role that turned into a starting role. I believe he did damn good for a 5th round draft pick. Future MLB IMHO.
    7 Jamarca Sanford Mississippi - Really came on strong at the end and could have easily wrested the starting role from STJ if STJ wouldn't have stepped up his game a bit.

2 Tyrell Johnson Arkansas State - Most don't like him, but a 2 year starter in this league is amazing. Anyone who thinks he wouldn't have issues starting that early is kindof missing the boat.
    5 John Booty USC - 5th round draft pick on a QB. Who cares if he panned out or not.
    5 Letroy Guion Florida State - Still seeing limited action behind Kevin. I think that will increase this year as he starts to get more reps and Kevin takes some more off.
    6 John Sullivan Notre Dame - 2nd year starter. Again, most didn't like the move, but I did. He played just as well as Birk did, if not better. First year under this regime that a QB has made it through the whole year. Again, this years play should be significantly better.
    6 Jaymar Johnson Jackson State - I am still undecided on this cat. I don't think he is that good that he couldn't be replaced but I like what he added last year.

1 Adrian Peterson Oklahoma - Money. Still getting better.
    2 Sidney Rice South Carolina - Money. I still remember what was said on PPO when we drafted him. Like it or not, he is the reason the Noodle looked so good last year.
    3 Marcus McCauley Fresno State - For the life of me I can't figure out what happened with this guy. Stepped in admirably for Whinny when he went down in 2007 and then fell off the map. Only real draft pick I consider a bust out of this regime other than Allison.
    4 Brian Robison Texas - Excellent 3rd down pressure DE out of the mold of Lance Johnstone. Don't think he can be an everydown player unless he starts at RDE. Until JA leaves, that job is taken. Until then he gives us a set of fresh legs off the bench in passing situations.
    5 Aundrae Allison East Carolina - See my McCauley comments.
    6 Rufus Alexander Oklahoma - I think he just got caught up in the numbers.
    7 Tyler Thigpen Coastal Carolina - I would have loved to see this kid stay a Viking. Might wind up suprising most at some point this year.
    7 Chandler Williams Florida International - Who? Just kidding.

1 Chad Greenway Iowa - Money. I am of a mind that he will go down as one of the best LB'rs ever to wear a Vikings uniform. I suspect we still haven't seen his full potential.
    2 Cedric Griffin Texas - Money. I've liked him since they drafted him. To bad he learned on the field so that everyone saw his flaws early. As with Chad, I think he was just coming into his own with room to grow. I sure hope he comes back from his injury.
    2 Ryan Cook New Mexico - Probably the only one on here who actually liked Ryan. Had obvious issues playing RT, but I don't fault him for trying his damnest. I fault the coaching staff for running him out there. Can play all 5 positions. If nothing else, he will be a swing man on the roster who can play all 5 positions with alot of actual game experience as a RT.
    2 Tarvaris Jackson Alabama State - Could still become the starter in MN. Struggled behind poor OL's and crapy WR's as targets. Best thing to happen to him is sitting on the bench behind Gus and the Noodle. Last year he looked damn good on the field and seemed to carry himself as if the light had finally come one.
    4 Ray Edwards Purdue - A true trooper. Moved to LDE without a wimper and did rather well out there, much to my suprise. Why the staff hasn't resigned him is beyond me, unless they are concerned he isn't gonna stand up to the continued riggors out there at the LDE position. In the end, he could leave today and I would still consider him a successfull draft pick.
    5 Greg Blue Georgia - Who. Again, just kidding. Most fell in love with him cause of one hit. I don't think he was anything special.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Nice recap of the last drafts there, Marrdro.
    Boy, I forgot that we had that many early picks in 2006. The Vikings definitely made up for the terrible 2005 draft.

Troy Williamson, WR (1st round)
    Erasmus James, DE (1st round)
    Marcus Johnson, OT/OG (2nd round)
    Dustin Fox, DB (3rd round)
    Ciatrick Fason (4th round)
    C.J. Mosley, DT (6th round)
    Adrian Ward, CB (7th round)
    Jonathan Nichols, kicker (undrafted)

Not one single of those picks turned out even close to acceptable. I would even take the 2008 draft over that one. That should say a lot considering the Vikings had 5 picks in the first FOUR rounds (two in the first round) of the 2005 draft. While in 2008, the Vikes had only one single pick in the first FIVE rounds of the 2008 draft, and that wasn't even a first round pick.

I loved the John Sullivan pick. I thought he was a steal. He was one of the top centers in that draft class in my opinion. Too bad we didn't keep Tyler Thigpen in 2007.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Boy, I forgot that we had that many early picks in 2006. The Vikings definitely made up for the terrible 2005 draft.

Troy Williamson, WR (1st round)
    Erasmus James, DE (1st round)
    Marcus Johnson, OT/OG (2nd round)
    Dustin Fox, DB (3rd round)
    Ciatrick Fason (4th round)
    C.J. Mosley, DT (6th round)
    Adrian Ward, CB (7th round)
    Jonathan Nichols, kicker (undrafted)

Not one single of those picks turned out even close to acceptable. I would even take the 2008 draft over that one. That should say a lot considering the Vikings had 5 picks in the first FOUR rounds (two in the first round) of the 2005 draft. While in 2008, the Vikes had only one single pick in the first FIVE rounds of the 2008 draft, and that wasn't even a first round pick.
    I think Erasmus James could still have been something if it hadn't been for all his injuries.

Also didn't we use Mosley to get B. Bollinger *yuck*

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I love looking at old drafts and thinking what could have been. What would have changed with the knowledge we have now?

LOL at Raiders, only team with a failing grad. Not surprising.
    We're bringing purple back.