Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: A look ahead to the NFC North

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    McCarthy has his hands extremely full in Green Bay, but the Packers still have Favre. And as long as they have Favre, they have a chance to compete and win.
    pukeright dink knob bum
    Compete and win where? Against high school kids?
    No, I think the local church-sponsered flag football league :grin:

Thank you Josdin for the sig

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"ChiTownVike" wrote:
    "westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    McCarthy has his hands extremely full in Green Bay, but the Packers still have Favre. And as long as they have Favre, they have a chance to compete and win.
    pukeright dink knob bum
    Compete and win where? Against high school kids?
    No, I think the local church-sponsered flag football league grin
    Some of the people on those leagues get pretty serious about sports, they might not even be able to compete against them.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"boognish" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Wow, 2 things I totally disagree with..

Tank Williams is a step back at the Safety position after losing Corey Chavous? Some agree, some disagree, but Tank Williams is a better fit then Corey Chavous is.. So getting beat on almost every play makes you a great Safety in the NFL? If so, then I guess Corey Chavous is better..

The Packers still have Brett Favre, and as long as Favre is still in Green Bay, then Green Bay has a chance to win.. Just proof that Vic Cucci doesn't know his a$$ from apple butter.. Has anyone other then Viking fans sen Favre play the past few years? The guy sucks.. He throws way to many INT's, he tries to put the ball where it can't go, and he can no longer run a 2 min offense with success.. If the cheese has 2 mins left to go ahead, you may as well put a L next to their name.. He is way overated, and does not deserve the credit he gets.. IMO..
    Yeah, I've watched him the past few seasons. Last year was a bad one for him, but his team was decimated by injuries...in 2004, 2003, and 2002 he led the Peckers to win the NFC North division title. I know it's fun to call Favre a washed up old punk, but I guarantee that Childress and our coaching staff don't view him that way. Neither do NFL experts around the League.

One thing you should never do, is underestimate Favre's ability to single-handedly lead his team to a victory. Take off your purple tinted shades for half a minute.
    I have steadily been loosing respect for Favre over the course of the past few years - especially when I'd hear him say one thing and do another. The fact that the media ignored all of the contradictory evidence only made it worse.

However, as a PLAYER, he can still get it done. He has the ABILITY to make things happen. What he doesn't have is the help on Offense.

If you can rattle him early, he has a tough time rallying. He always tosses 1 or 2 pickable balls early in a game. If teams capitalize on those, Favre gets erratic. If Green Bay starts to stall, Favre gets erratic. If the Defense starts to push the Packers around the field, Favre gets erratic.

However, don't most QB's get erratic under those circumstances?

The difference - and probably why we hate him so much - is that the MEDIA still treats him like he's walking on water...while he's erratic. He NEVER has to take his share of the blame, it's always the Receiver's fault, or the DB made a phenominal (and "unforgivable") play. Never, "Brett screwed up", always, "that's Brett Favre being Brett Favre" (Remember the shovel pass, 3 yards past the line of scrimmage in the play-off game we beat them in? That's almost EXACTLY what Madden said).

But, all that aside, if we would have had the opportunity to grab him, even now, we would have been foolish to let him slide by. The guy knows how to win, and he puts it all on the line to do so.

As much as I dislike many things he's done, I respect the heck out of him as a very dangerous opponent...as well as for all of the RIGHT things he's done.

Caine

SJHILL is offline Starter

I think we have too talented of a team to not win our division. Will it be easy? No. The Bears will still be good, but probably a couple notches down from what they were last year. I think that in some games they got so lucky.

The Lions will also be good this year. I think that they are a year or two from actually being a threat to win the division. At best, they will have 9 wins. they're atleast going in the right direction.

As everyone knows, the Packers will more than likely be the cellar dwellers of this improving division. They could maybe get a few more wins than we are expecting. they made two pretty good acquisitions this year on the defensive side of the ball(An aging Woodsen and a studly AJ Hawk) I'll guess that they get 5 wins this season.(none of which come against the Vikings)

Back to the Vikings, I don't see how they do not this division, unless The Bears come out just as good or better than last year. We went 9-7 last year with all of that controversey. Look at all of the pros we have going into the season:
    -A returning Matt Birk
    -Maybe the best guard this side of Will Shields in Hutch
    -Chester Taylor(and a couple of good backups_
    -A whole new coaching staff that seems to be 10x better than Tice and CO.(Maybe the worst coaching staff in the league
    -An improving linebacking core
    -A whole bunch of returning starters

I think that all of these pros spell out a division title for us and a atleast one playoff win. In order to win the division title, I think we are going to need to win atleast 5 of our divisional games.

"SJHILL" wrote:
    I think we have too talented of a team to not win our division. Will it be easy? No. The Bears will still be good, but probably a couple notches down from what they were last year. I think that in some games they got so lucky.

The Lions will also be good this year. I think that they are a year or two from actually being a threat to win the division. At best, they will have 9 wins. they're atleast going in the right direction.

As everyone knows, the Packers will more than likely be the cellar dwellers of this improving division. They could maybe get a few more wins than we are expecting. they made two pretty good acquisitions this year on the defensive side of the ball(An aging Woodsen and a studly AJ Hawk) I'll guess that they get 5 wins this season.(none of which come against the Vikings)

Back to the Vikings, I don't see how they do not this division, unless The Bears come out just as good or better than last year. We went 9-7 last year with all of that controversey. Look at all of the pros we have going into the season:
    -A returning Matt Birk
    -Maybe the best guard this side of Will Shields in Hutch
    -Chester Taylor(and a couple of good backups_
    -A whole new coaching staff that seems to be 10x better than Tice and CO.(Maybe the worst coaching staff in the league
    -An improving linebacking core
    -A whole bunch of returning starters

I think that all of these pros spell out a division title for us and a atleast one playoff win. In order to win the division title, I think we are going to need to win atleast 5 of our divisional games.

i agree with you, but just because we got a bunch of returning starters doesn't say much! we are putting in a new system on offense and defense so pretty much everyone is a rookie to the team!! there are some guys that know the system well (Ben Leber, Whittaker) but it is going to take some time to get used to!! Remember when Ted Cottrell started his "new" defense with the Vikes, the LB were terrible!! we couldn't stop anyone, but they got better (very little) over time!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123