Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Listen to the players - Thursday night football must go

[size=13pt]Quick Read: Listen to the players - Thursday night football must go[/size]

Thursday night games are a terrible idea for the NFL, but they're probably here to stay because the league's greed knows no boundaries.

By Mark Craig, Star Tribune
    Last update: December 23, 2006 – 11:18 PM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Listen to the players - Thursday night football must go

If not just for the players . . . how about those crappy announcers?

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I have to agree with this... These guys get the crap kicked out of them on a weekly basis as it is, why have them play 2 games in the same week? As much as I love football, I just don't see that as a positive thing.. Especially if one of those star players that has his season ended is a member of the Vikings..

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

I'm personally against it. Granted I was happy I was able to see a Viking game, but it just messes with the whole feel of the NFL. The only Thursday games should be on Thanksgiving

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

I didnt like it because:

1. I live in SD and we get the game week after week...except this week. So I had to go to a sports bar and deal with a bunch of drunk Packer fans that tried to start a fight with my high school age employees that watched the game with me.

2. Now I have to wait a week and a half for the next game...and I'm fiending for some Vikings football. I feel like they should be on this Wednesday. This sucks because NFL Network is a satellite channel and 90% of us dont get it....

3. I had to have my fantasy lineup done right after the last game was done it seemed. I have to figure it out the same day that the injury report comes out...urg!

All selfish reasons, I know, but this is why I'm against Thur. night football

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

I'm against it too. The players get two games in the span of five days, and I can't watch it because I don't have NFL Network!
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I think Thursday night games are a horrible idea, but I doubt we'll ever be rid of them.

They're bad for all the reasons listed above, PLUS, for those of us who work nights, that's one less contest we get to see...unless we burn a vacation day.

But, with the huge dollars the networks pony up to broadcast NFL games, the NFL realized that THEY could be keeping those profits "in house" by airing them themselves...and so they started a network.
    The author is right, it really is all about the greed of the NFL.
    Player safety issues won't even get a second look - although it might get some paltry lip service from the new Commisioner if he's ever pegged by it.

Nope, this comes down to the idea that if airing games at 3 different times is good, then 4 must be better.
    They fail to recognize another key principle that the author noted, over saturation of a product makes it LESS desirable, not more.

In the end, I predict that the major networks will be filtered out of the equation.
    Perhaps not entirely, but they will see a diminishing role as the NFLN gets rolling.
    After all, it's what I would do if I ran the NFL.
    Broadcast MNF on NFLN (Goodbye and good riddance Tony Kornholer), then absorb Sunday night games, grab the prime play-off games as well as the Superbowl for the big advertising $$$, and sit back and count my money.

And if a player gets hurt....oh well....there's always more where he came from, right?

Caine

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I don't like the Thursday night games especially near the end of the season.
    Everybody is banged up, you play a game Sunday then you have to be prepared to play again Thursday.
    These guys need a full week in between games.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

You have to look at it from the perspective of the bottom-of-the-heap commentators like Bryant Gumhole.
    If it wasn't for Thursday night football he would be unemployed.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Acumen" wrote:
    You have to look at it from the perspective of the bottom-of-the-heap commentators like Bryant Gumhole.
    If it wasn't for Thursday night football he would be unemployed.
    Would that be bad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast