singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Lions' wish: Be like the Vikings

From The Mercury News;
    Posted on Fri, Dec. 02, 2005

[size=18px]Lions' wish: Be like the Vikings[/size]

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA

Detroit Free Press

DETROIT - A month ago, it was, "At least the Lions aren't the Vikings." Now it's, "Maybe the Lions can be like the Vikings." Sad, but true.

When the Lions played Nov. 6 at Minnesota, they were 3-4 and coming off an overtime loss to Chicago. But the Vikings were 2-5 and dealing with the latest in the series of problems - a sex scandal and a season-ending knee injury to quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

The teams meet again Sunday at Ford Field. The Lions are 4-7 and dealing with a coaching change, a quarterback change and all kinds of controversy. The Vikings are 6-5 and riding a four-game winning streak - which started with the Nov. 6 victory. The Lions aren't about to rent a couple of boats and throw a wild party on Lake Minnetonka or anything. But they would like to be like the Vikes.

"They got off to a bad start and got into the situation that everybody is familiar with, and they fought their way out of it," said Lions interim coach Dick Jauron. "The only way you do that is by winning. As they have won, they have gained more and more confidence as a team and played better and better. ...

"They definitely are a good example for everybody that you can turn it around."

Minnesota coach Mike Tice is wary of the Lions because he doesn't want them to get going against his team the way his team got going against them.

"I am not excited about playing them this week, I promise you that right now," Tice said. "We are stepping into a hornets' nest. This is not a good situation for our football team. It is not a good game for us."

It has been a crazy 10 days for the Lions_the brutal loss Thanksgiving loss to Atlanta, the reports that coach Steve Mariucci could be fired, the weekend in limbo, Mariucci's firing, cornerback Dre' Bly's comments about quarterback Joey Harrington, Bly's apology, Jauron's naming Jeff Garcia the starting QB.

"In terms of all the so-called turmoil, maybe as a staff we're maybe a little more fatigued because of the stress," Jauron said.

Things have settled down a bit. Jauron even said Friday it was "starting to feel like a regular week."

Jauron's even-keeled personality has had a steadying influence, and he has tried to appeal to his players' pride.

"The integrity of our game is based on playing to win," he said. "The integrity of this business is based on honest effort to win every single Sunday. We'd like to believe we're all professionals, that we've earned the right to be here and we'll earn the right to stay."

Still, no one knows what to expect Sunday.

"You can look at it two ways," wide receiver Roy Williams said. "One way you can look at it is, this team has given up, they have already fired their coach, and it doesn't look like we're going to the playoffs, anyway. On the other hand, you can look at it as, this might be the turning point."

Minnesota safety Darren Sharper said: "I think they can turn it around. We'll see if they do. Hopefully, it doesn't start with us."

INJURY UPDATE: Running back Kevin Jones (quadriceps) was downgraded from probable to questionable on the injury report. After practicing Wednesday and Thursday, he rested Friday. "It didn't really loosen up as much as he wanted it to or we wanted it to," Jauron said. "At the very best, it'll be a game-day decision on him."... Linebacker Donte' Curry (quadriceps) is doubtful. Safety Terrence Holt (elbow) and fullback Paul Smith (hamstring) are out. ... Jauron said the coaches hadn't decided which receivers would be active.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Lions' wish: Be like the Vikings

"singersp" wrote:
    From The Mercury News;

Still, no one knows what to expect Sunday
    do we ever know what to expect from these two teams?
    We're bringing purple back.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"gregair13" wrote:
    I don't know about you, but I'm expecting a Vikings win.

Same as always!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"gregair13" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    From The Mercury News;

Still, no one knows what to expect Sunday
    Well I have to think that in the back of most of the Lions minds is that their season is over so why get hurt. Or worse, "what am I doing here, the coach is gone, the fans boo us, I just want to get it over with."

I don't think they will come out all pumped up and ready to kick azz.

WWBGD

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

I hope Green Bay comes out all pumped up and beats the Bears A**ses

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will