Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Lions Shopping 2nd Overall Pick

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    I decided to ignore this article the moment I saw "clever" and "Lions" in the same sentence.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I have never been a fan of trading up in the draft. So if the lions can victimize someone, I say go for it.
    We're bringing purple back.

Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    I decided to ignore this article the moment I saw "clever" and "Lions" in the same sentence.

=Z=
    I think that most people will be suprised by what thier GM does this year. I for one won't be.

Just the fact that he let this cat out of the bag (he doesn't like/talk to the press) is a indicator that he will be making some moves. Problem for him is that the Lions are in a bad way with respect to funds.

Unfortunately that will limit what he can do.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gregair13 wrote:
    I have never been a fan of trading up in the draft. So if the lions can victimize someone, I say go for it.
    I do not like to move up in the first round or give up picks.

I have a sneaky suspicion we might see one or the other this year.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Marrdro wrote:
    gregair13 wrote:

The over inflated value (due to some random chart) for the first 5-10 picks make it very hard for teams to trade them. I think a lot of teams would be willing to trade out of a high first round pick if they could get the value listed by the chart. Problem is not many people want to give up all the picks and then have to pay the cash on top of it all for what may not work out. Yet, an organization feels they need to get what the chart says in order for it to be a good deal.

Also, teams that typically have the high picks are teams with a lot of needs (unless the pick was gained via trade) and are quite often in markets without a lot of revenue. All good formulas for wanting to trade a high pick for bunch of picks. Yet, it is still seldom done. Makes me once again question the draft chart point system.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    gregair13 wrote:

The over inflated value (due to some random chart) for the first 5-10 picks make it very hard for teams to trade them. I think a lot of teams would be willing to trade out of a high first round pick if they could get the value listed by the chart. Problem is not many people want to give up all the picks and then have to pay the cash on top of it all for what may not work out. Yet, an organization feels they need to get what the chart says in order for it to be a good deal.

Also, teams that typically have the high picks are teams with a lot of needs (unless the pick was gained via trade) and are quite often in markets without a lot of revenue. All good formulas for wanting to trade a high pick for bunch of picks. Yet, it is still seldom done. Makes me once again question the draft chart point system.
    The point system is rather arbitrary. I think once they fix the rookie salaries with a cap, we will see a lot more movement in the top of the draft.
    We're bringing purple back.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

gregair13 wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    gregair13 wrote:

The point system is rather arbitrary. I think once they fix the rookie salaries with a cap, we will see a lot more movement in the top of the draft.
    I do like the idea of a rookie salary cap, but I think it still needs to be fairly high....just not ridiculously high like it is today.

Rookies can be a huge value to an organization and is why many orgs try to build through the draft. Also, if you set the rookie salaries too small, it can have a bad effect on the vets salaries. Only superstars will warrant the big $$$. NFLPA has fought against rookie salary caps for this reason.

One other point of consideration is the expected playing years of an NFL player. Not sure what it is, but I would guess it to be around 5-7 years. If a rookie can't get to some serious coin soon, he better have a good backup plan in life.

Many ways to go about putting a reasonable rookie salary cap together that will probably work, but there are a lot of aspects that need to be considered.

I also think it really only applies to the first handful or two of the picks. For some reason, all the experts agree that the first 7-8 players are exponentially better than the rest.

tastywaves wrote:
    gregair13 wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    gregair13 wrote:

I do like the idea of a rookie salary cap, but I think it still needs to be fairly high....just not ridiculously high like it is today.

Rookies can be a huge value to an organization and is why many orgs try to build through the draft. Also, if you set the rookie salaries too small, it can have a bad effect on the vets salaries. Only superstars will warrant the big $$$. NFLPA has fought against rookie salary caps for this reason.

One other point of consideration is the expected playing years of an NFL player. Not sure what it is, but I would guess it to be around 5-7 years. If a rookie can't get to some serious coin soon, he better have a good backup plan in life.

Many ways to go about putting a reasonable rookie salary cap together that will probably work, but there are a lot of aspects that need to be considered.

I also think it really only applies to the first handful or two of the picks. For some reason, all the experts agree that the first 7-8 players are exponentially better than the rest.
    From our good friends at Wiki........(2 to 4 years)

Average NFL Career

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

=Z=
    oh I don't know.. the moment they got rid of Millen then their personnel evaluation ability went up 30 points, so there is hope for them.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12