Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Lions plan to stick with Harrington

[size=18px]Lions plan to stick with Harrington[/size]

Wednesday, February 22, 2006
    By Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK -- At the end of last season, both Joey Harrington and Jeff Backus wondered aloud if they might be better off with a change of scenery. But, it appears the Detroit Lions players aren't going anywhere.

Lions president Matt Millen said Tuesday that he plans to keep both players on the team, despite looming contract issues. Millen also said that he believes Harrington will again be Detroit's No. 1 quarterback, but made it clear the final decision is up to new head coach Rod Marinelli.

"We do like him and I do think he'll be our guy and that's how we're going to approach it," Millen said. "We're going to approach it that Harrington's our starter and we move forward and coach the heck out of him and we get him into the system and we start the process."

Harrington

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Lions plan to stick with Harrington

I think that Harrington is going to finally be successful. I think with Martz as his OC and a new head coach in there he's going to be the quarterback he was drafted to be. I'd be happy for him if that happened, but in some ways I don't want it to cuz that would be bad for us!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I disagree. Harrington is Harrington. He has a strong arm, but lacks mental toughness. He has been a flop since coming into the league. Martz imo, will not be able to turn him around. Martz will not be on the field with him, and lets face it harrington makes alot of stupid decisions.

It sounds great to me that the Lions are keeping him as their starter. If I were a Lions fan (thank god i'm not) I would be extremely po'd that they aren't exploring other options a QB. While Harrington is decent,, he will never be an elite QB in this league, no matter what system he is in..

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    I disagree. Harrington is Harrington. He has a strong arm, but lacks mental toughness. He has been a flop since coming into the league. Martz imo, will not be able to turn him around. Martz will not be on the field with him, and lets face it harrington makes alot of stupid decisions.

It sounds great to me that the Lions are keeping him as their starter. If I were a Lions fan (thank god i'm not) I would be extremely po'd that they aren't exploring other options a QB. While Harrington is decent,, he will never be an elite QB in this league, no matter what system he is in..
    Well put. He is terrible.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I believe Harrington will mature a bit this year as well.. With Marz there he will throw in some trick stuff that will get him going..

I kinda hope he does alright cuz he takes alot of shizz

Prophet Guest

I am in the non-Harrington camp. He had plenty of opportunities to do something. I could do better then him with three #1 pick WRs on the roster, a QBs dream and he still does nothing. Martz is also given more credit then he deserves. The Lions will continue to do what they do best, lose.

6-KINGS Guest

Well......
    Note to self, count Lions out of playoff contention.

Noted.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I would agree with you if Martz weren't the OC, but he's made some good QBs out of some duds. Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger and (kind of) Ryan Fitzpatrick. Warner isn't exactly mentally stone-walled, and he was incredibly successful. Martz made an MVP out of a grocery store stocker/arena league quarterback in Warner and a top-flite QB out of a 6th round pick in Bulger. This year is Harrington's last shot, but I think Martz might be able to turn him around, and if he can't then I don't think anyone can.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"6-KINGS" wrote:
    Well......
    Note to self, count Lions out of playoff contention.

Noted.
    LMAO :hello1:

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I don't like Martz, but whether I like him or dislike him, has nothing to do with his ability to coach QBs and make them look good.

I won't count Joey out just yet. He has been knocked down and had a few standing 8 counts already, but with the help from Martz he might do better.

Also, they may just be keeping Joey as a spare for now. Lions like Cutler?????? Maybe??? Throw that out there with all the other speculation surrounding the draft.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast