Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Lions down on Williams

Lions' Williams, Jags' Jones on opposite routes

(June 7, 2006) -- For now, the Lions are as down on former first-round draft pick Mike Williams as their fans have been on the franchise in recent seasons.

Williams is running with Detroit's third group of wide receivers -- and there are no indications he is going to be moving up the Detroit depth chart anytime soon, even though the receiver was back at practice today.

The Lions have made the decision that, until Williams demonstrates a noticeable change in his behavior -- and few in the organization are expecting anything to be any different any time soon -- he will not be contributing to the franchise.

While the rest of the Lions franchise has taken to new head coach Rod Marinelli's demanding methods, Williams has not. Lions officials believe Williams has not worked hard, has not been accountable, has not carried himself the way a first-round pick or any NFL player should.

The team even has looked into the cost of ridding itself of Williams, but realized it cannot. If the Lions were to cut or trade Williams, they would be hit with a whopping $12 million salary-cap charge.

This means the Lions are stuck with Williams, who has been nursing a strained hamstring for the past two months. These types of struggles are nothing new for Williams in Detroit. Last year, he was fined for being overweight and late to meetings.

Unless Williams changes his attitude, his name will be expected to pop up often on the inactive list this season. It's rather ironic, too. For one year, after he left USC, Williams was the man without a team. Now that he has a team, the team is willing to move forward without him.
    The more I read...the more I'm glad we picked up Williamson instead.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Lions down on Williams

That's funny. If he can't make it with the Lions organization, Williams will be heading up North to the CFL pretty soon I imagine. Crazy how much of a crap shot the draft is. Glad the Vikings organization didn't draft Williams, also makes me appreciate the job Tice and co. did with our draft picks.

Thanks Josdin

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

What a turd.

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

Oh, man I was so upset when we didn't pick him. But that is twice now where the Vikings didn't do what I expected, and hoped and it still worked out.

First - Kevin Williams over Terrell Suggs. Couldn't believe he fell to us, so excited....and then the missed pick...figured someone else would get Suggs. Nobody did, Vikings go up with the pick---K.Will. So mad. But both ended up being great players.

Second - Williamson over Williams..pretty much same scenerio..but neither have done anything yet, although Williamson is looking like the better of the two.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"josdin00" wrote:
    The more I read...the more I'm glad we picked up Williamson instead.
    Amen to that ... the people that cribbed that the Vikes had made the wrong pick - there is so much that is taken in consideration when drafting players that us fans know nothing about.
    See folks its not always about stats, combines figures, what athletic program a player is in etc. etc .
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Detroit's throwing in the towel way too early, give the kid a chance he coul do something.

The most powerful character in Final Fantasy history

twill is offline Starter

yea but i would luv to give this kid a shot.. he does have talent. i doubt marcus would be with us next year, and this kid is a really good young replacement.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

i guess M.wil couldn't make the ego transition to the NFL.

where he was a star @ the univ lvl.... now he's another wr with an attitude in the big league's.

when these guys gonna learn? confidence is good.. egotistical is.. undesired.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

I'll give Tice and them credit, they couldn't coach but damn could they draft.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

M.Williams should either drop some pounds and try to increase his speed, or bulk up and switch to TE.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast