Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Re: LINEHAN may be available next season!

Bevell has made some nifty calls. The players haven't executed on many would-be big plays. I say give it time.

Of course, if Bevell flames out, and Linehan is available and willing to take on the OC role back in Minnesota, that's got to be very interesting, even if it means scrapping the West Coast offense.

The reason is, Linehan is a great offensive coordinator. He might have risen above his level of competence as a head coach. He might end up being a career OC, and a very successful one at that. If that's the case, I'd rather see him do it for the Vikings than another team.

Superstar-now Adrian Peterson would prosper under any offense. Proto-star Sydney Rice would as well. Maybe Tarvaris Jackson, though, would really be unleashed under Linehan's system, or maybe he will master the WCO. It's too early to tell.

I'd most like to see Bevell keep improving, though, and the players execute for him consistently.

Go Vikings!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    Bevell has made some nifty calls. The players haven't executed on many would-be big plays. I say give it time.

Of course, if Bevell flames out, and Linehan is available and willing to take on the OC role back in Minnesota, that's got to be very interesting, even if it means scrapping the West Coast offense.

The reason is, Linehan is a great offensive coordinator. He might have risen above his level of competence as a head coach. He might end up being a career OC, and a very successful one at that. If that's the case, I'd rather see him do it for the Vikings than another team.

Superstar-now Adrian Peterson would prosper under any offense. Proto-star Sydney Rice would as well. Maybe Tarvaris Jackson, though, would really be unleashed under Linehan's system, or maybe he will master the WCO. It's too early to tell.

I'd most like to see Bevell keep improving, though, and the players execute for him consistently.
    How do you know Childress didn't make them?

I believe they have both been calling plays, but it's hard to differentiate who's calling what.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:

I believe they have both been calling plays, but it's hard to differentiate who's calling what.
    This article talks about how Bevell is making the calls, including the good ones.

Go Vikings!

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

This article talks about how Bevell is making the calls, including the good ones.
    That's what I'm looking for. Must have just came out this evening or I would have posted it by now.

"vikesfargo" wrote:

As the head coach and primary playcaller, Childress had ordered a play doomed to fail on the final down of a 17-12 loss to Buffalo.
    At the Bills 25-yard line with 14 seconds and no timeouts remaining, the Vikings had two choices: Either throw a pass into the end zone, or utilize a quick sideline route that would give them one more play. Instead, Childress sent in a play that called for a short pass to receiver Billy McMullen running across the field.
    IMO, anyone who thinks this is good play calling by Childress & just poor execution by the Vikings (like some have stated in defense of Childress), I think are grasping at straws.

That is a great example of poor play calling by Childress.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:

As the head coach and primary playcaller, Childress had ordered a play doomed to fail on the final down of a 17-12 loss to Buffalo.
    At the Bills 25-yard line with 14 seconds and no timeouts remaining, the Vikings had two choices: Either throw a pass into the end zone, or utilize a quick sideline route that would give them one more play. Instead, Childress sent in a play that called for a short pass to receiver Billy McMullen running across the field.
    IMO, anyone who thinks this is good play calling by Childress & just poor execution by the Vikings (like some have stated in defense of Childress), I think are grasping at straws.

With the crap he had on the field what else could he do?
    Brad couldn't make a throw to the side line and no one could catch it in the endzone.
    Seemed like a poke and hope kindof thing to me.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:

With the crap he had on the field what else could he do?

Brad couldn't make a throw to the side line and no one could catch it in the endzone.
    Seemed like a poke and hope kindof thing to me.
    ;D
    I think he tries to hard thinking he'll catch a defense off guard & capitalize on it, but defenses figure it out & aren't fooled.

If you were a defender, would you think the Vikings would have dumped it short across the middle in that circumstance?

If you were a defender, would you think run on 3rd & 12 last year?

Bevell or Childress or whoever hasn't made good calls lately.

Now I'm thinking maybe we should bring back Linehan. He could move us bewteen the 20s. Then, with the AD weapon, we would be able to score in the red zone.

Go Vikings!

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

Yay! lets bring him in here so he can do as great a job as he did with the rams!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"MetalMike-LoudVike" wrote:
    well if this season presses on like this I am sure that Bevells head will be on the chopping block. but who else is out there? for a decnt offensive coordinator.
    I can think of one that is already on the payroll that I would like to see get a chance.

Remember how the Chiller let both Bevell and Rogers both call plays during the pre-season.

Although he hasn't ever been a O-coord (I.e Garrett/Dallas) he has a pretty decent background and has ties to a certain QB everyone is clammering for.

http://www.realfootball365.com/colle...ies120106.html
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast