Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Laveranues Coles, Chad Pennington may be finished with Jets

"Schutz" wrote:
    You guys just won't listen to reason I guess.
    WHAT WE WANT DOES NOT MATTER.
    I'm talking about what the Vikings front office is willing to do.
    I would love to see them go after McNabb, but with how much support Childress has for T-Jack i'm guessing 90% he's our starter next year.
    So an organization who fully supports T-Jack is not going to make all you guys happy and go out and get McNabb, because they plan on starting T-Jack.
    So I made the point you could go after a guy like Pennington who is down on his luck with the Jets and trade for him and that way you'd have a veteran back up plan that would work.
    I'm sorry I don't have an in with the Vikings to have a say over who starts next year, because I heard it was probably going to be T-Jack SO WE CAN'T go after a clear cut starter like McNabb.
    You guys need to realize that T-Jack isn't going to lose his job this year, if he does it'll be after 4-5 games next year, so why wouldn't you want a cheap pickup like Pennington who could get the job done.

I deal in reality people, not your fantasy land of what you would like to happen on this deal.
    Good point but you hve to look at the fact that Childress has to have support for T-Joke. It is not like he os going to come out and say "yteah he is my starter but I have no confidnce or faith in him" He may think that way behind behind the scenes but he I would doubt would say anything even close to that. Second as bad as he is and it seems almost a contadiction to say it. he does unfortunatly give us the best chance to win. Since we have no real choices behind him. Childress' job seems safe this year from what Ziggy says, but next year probably will be a different story. Will Chilllly still want a QB with a huge learning Curve that will probably never get over it to determine his future? Personally I think we will see 3 new Qb's n the team next year. including a QB that has proven himself of a solid Vet if they are looking at a 1st round pick. Especially if they want to pick up a solid WR in FA.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"olson_10" wrote:
    if mcnabb really is available, then theres no reason for us not to go after him

as far as coles goes, id take him, but only if we were also signing bernard berrian..simply adding another good possession receiver doesnt help enough unless we brought is a great speed guy like berrian as well

coles, berrian, rice, wade, allison is a good receiving corp, especially with mcnabb throwing to them..thatd be the best corp of receivers mcnabb has ever played with..heck maybe even add in lj smith from philly as well through FA

this team absolutely needs a passing game to prevent peterson from being the football version of kevin garnett..its time this team made a big time splash in FA and through trades, and those are the guys that put us over the top

as far as im concerned we dont absolutely need our draft picks this year, and i think we should trade a number of them to bring in mcnabb and a receiver or defensive end..its time to make a run at the superbowl and skip this whole tarvaris jackson rebuilding crap

some of the best guys on this team dont have a ton of time left like birk, richardson, pat williams, sharper, and now winfield it appears with his nagging injuries..time to make some trades and big time signings to put this team in a position to win with some of these superstar vets running out of time
    So let me get this straight.

a.
    You don't think we need our draft picks this year and can trade them away.
    b.
    You thing that our key players are getting old and won't be around long.

Damn my friend, the way I understand how to build a team is that you draft guys to replace those vets now before they get to old to produce.
    When they quit producing you shit can them and then let the guys you drafted 2 or 3 years previously to replace them play.

Under your plan you keep trading away pics for old vets who will possibly help you to win now but don't care about the future.

I can think of several teams taking that approach now that aren't in any better shape than us.
    For that matter I would say they are in worse shape as they aren't gonna win it now and they now have no future as they traded that away to get old, aging, has beens.

Quite sad to think that people still think that way.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"olson_10" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    2007 Stats:

Pennington:
    Passes completed/attempted: 179/260 - 68.8 percent
    YPA: 6.75
    Longest pass: 57 yards
    TD's: 10
    Interceptions: 9
    Rating: 86.1

McNabb:
    Passes completed/attempted: 262/432 - 60.6 percent
    YPA: 6.9
    Longest pass: 75
    TD's: 18
    Interceptions: 6
    89.5 rating

So McNabb had almost twice as many TD's and nearly half as many interceptions with nearly double the amount of attempts. Add to that a passer who can run.
    Okay, you just ignored the entire argument I was making and just threw up some stats, great.
    Like I said, Pennington would be a CHEAP stop gap for whatever the Vikings want to do over the next 3-4 years, and on the other side Pennington would come in not expecting to START unlike Mcnabb who would expect to start, and unless Childress and the Vikes do a complete turn around T-Jack is our guy next year so we can't bring in Mcnabb.
    Pennington would probably take like a 3rd or 4th round pick, Mcnabb a 2nd but the Eagles if they are even willing to trade him would probably demand a first simply because he's playing well and doesn't have an injury like Culpepper did.

This is why McNabb won't work in Minnesota unless the Vikings change their mind and decide he would be the future for the coming years.
    Where as Pennington would come cheap pick wise, and wouldn't fully be expecting a starting job right now, only the chance to get it back if T-Jack fails early in the season and the Vikes want an experienced Veteran QB we won't give up high picks for.

Also as for comparing half the amount of attempts by Pennington you know you have to take that with a grain of salt.
    Take the first half of APs carries this year and what did we think he was going to do?
    There is a lot more than just hitting the multiply by 2 button.
    wouldnt you prefer a mcnabb type guy expecting to start rather than pennington willing to play backup just for a paycheck? what kind of competitor is that when a guy that is clearly better than jackson comes in expecting to play backup?

why are we looking for a guy while we make our mind up over the next 3-4 years like you suggest? why do you suggest that we waste the last of the best years from guys like birk, sharper, winfield, hutchinson, richardson? why do we waste adrian petersons prime making up our minds?

this team should have its mind made up..we have the vets to make it happen, we just have to add to it..add some receivers, an elite pass rusher, and donovan mcnabb, and go for a superbowl! its as simple as that..otherwise we waste the prime of alot of our players just sitting around waiting on jackson, or having pennington come here to just play okay football..weve got the offensive line, and explosive running game..weve got the run stoppers, and safeties..now get a pass rush, and an explosive passing game, and make a run!..and most importantly, get a real coach!

if a stadium is what zygi really wants, he would make these kinds of moves, and get interest in this team at an all time high..instead hes going in the wrong direction, and things continue to plummet all the way to los angeles
    Not trying to derail this train of thought, however, Wins and losses (although they make the people happy) aren't gonna get a stadium done.

It will get completed when the elected officials finally figure out what types of revenues will be lost when the team moves.

Sure a winning record will help with those revenues and make the local populace happy that the government is spending more of their tax dollars but not that much.

Zygi will get his stadium.
    It just might not be were some of the current fans of the team think.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123