Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Laveranues Coles, Chad Pennington may be finished with Jets

[size=13pt]Laveranues Coles, Chad Pennington may be finished with Jets [/size]

By RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, December 23rd 2007, 4:00 AM

NASHVILLE - They came in together as rookies and grew up together in the Jets' offense. Now there's a chance that Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles, close friends, could be leaving together....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Laveranues Coles, Chad Pennington may be finished with Jets

I guess its getting to be that time of year.

Whats thier Madden rating. ???
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

I'd take Coles in a second

Id love to take both of them I said our offense is a veteran Receiver and a solid quarterback away from being one of the best elite. A offense the will make them pay to put 8 or 9 in the box.
    "Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

If the Vikings want to continue with T-Jack next season I think Pennington would be a good guy to go after, you could get him for a low pick and he wouldn't be adverse to benching for awhile if he knew he would be given a shot at anytime.
    If you go after almost any vet or guys like Derek Anderson, Mcnabb you have players who are expecting to start and not sit on the bench.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Gads, is this a "any port in the storm" time of the year already? Last year you people complained and moaned about Brad Johnson not having an arm and getting the ball downfield. And now your tinking of getting a guy who is in the same boat as Johnson -- maybe worse?
    ???
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Gads, is this a "any port in the storm" time of the year already? Last year you people complained and moaned about Brad Johnson not having an arm and getting the ball downfield. And now your tinking of getting a guy who is in the same boat as Johnson -- maybe worse?
    ???
    Have you seen Chad Pennington play?
    No he doesn't have a gun like Culpepper did but he has a pretty good throwing arm still.
    As far as comparing him to Brad Johnson, not even close.
    Pennington is a very good accurate QB, he's had his share of injuries but when he's healthy he can usually complete 65-70% or so of his passes when he is passing more than the Vikings line of 20 some times a game.
    Pennington is a good stop gap veteran who has seen a a lot of playing time and has never really done "bad" in the NFL.
    And I think with us just needing a QB who can throw accurately 15-20 yards down field in the zones to open up the running game he would be a very cheap very good pickup.
    I'd rather have him then cry baby McNabb anyways.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

2007 Stats:

Pennington:
    Passes completed/attempted: 179/260 - 68.8 percent
    YPA: 6.75
    Longest pass: 57 yards
    TD's: 10
    Interceptions: 9
    Rating: 86.1

McNabb:
    Passes completed/attempted: 262/432 - 60.6 percent
    YPA: 6.9
    Longest pass: 75
    TD's: 18
    Interceptions: 6
    89.5 rating

So McNabb had almost twice as many TD's and nearly half as many interceptions with nearly double the amount of attempts. Add to that a passer who can run.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    2007 Stats:

Pennington:
    Passes completed/attempted: 179/260 - 68.8 percent
    YPA: 6.75
    Longest pass: 57 yards
    TD's: 10
    Interceptions: 9
    Rating: 86.1

McNabb:
    Passes completed/attempted: 262/432 - 60.6 percent
    YPA: 6.9
    Longest pass: 75
    TD's: 18
    Interceptions: 6
    89.5 rating

So McNabb had almost twice as many TD's and nearly half as many interceptions with nearly double the amount of attempts. Add to that a passer who can run.
    Okay, you just ignored the entire argument I was making and just threw up some stats, great.
    Like I said, Pennington would be a CHEAP stop gap for whatever the Vikings want to do over the next 3-4 years, and on the other side Pennington would come in not expecting to START unlike Mcnabb who would expect to start, and unless Childress and the Vikes do a complete turn around T-Jack is our guy next year so we can't bring in Mcnabb.
    Pennington would probably take like a 3rd or 4th round pick, Mcnabb a 2nd but the Eagles if they are even willing to trade him would probably demand a first simply because he's playing well and doesn't have an injury like Culpepper did.

This is why McNabb won't work in Minnesota unless the Vikings change their mind and decide he would be the future for the coming years.
    Where as Pennington would come cheap pick wise, and wouldn't fully be expecting a starting job right now, only the chance to get it back if T-Jack fails early in the season and the Vikes want an experienced Veteran QB we won't give up high picks for.

Also as for comparing half the amount of attempts by Pennington you know you have to take that with a grain of salt.
    Take the first half of APs carries this year and what did we think he was going to do?
    There is a lot more than just hitting the multiply by 2 button.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

if mcnabb really is available, then theres no reason for us not to go after him

as far as coles goes, id take him, but only if we were also signing bernard berrian..simply adding another good possession receiver doesnt help enough unless we brought is a great speed guy like berrian as well

coles, berrian, rice, wade, allison is a good receiving corp, especially with mcnabb throwing to them..thatd be the best corp of receivers mcnabb has ever played with..heck maybe even add in lj smith from philly as well through FA

this team absolutely needs a passing game to prevent peterson from being the football version of kevin garnett..its time this team made a big time splash in FA and through trades, and those are the guys that put us over the top

as far as im concerned we dont absolutely need our draft picks this year, and i think we should trade a number of them to bring in mcnabb and a receiver or defensive end..its time to make a run at the superbowl and skip this whole tarvaris jackson rebuilding crap

some of the best guys on this team dont have a ton of time left like birk, richardson, pat williams, sharper, and now winfield it appears with his nagging injuries..time to make some trades and big time signings to put this team in a position to win with some of these superstar vets running out of time
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast