Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Latest football idea: All 11 eligible

Okay - I couldn't decide what the right place to put this is.
    It's not about "College" or "Pro" football, but more about "Football at the HS level, but something that's interesting at all levels".

So I put it here.
    Move if you must.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/18387724.html

[size=12pt]Latest football idea: All 11 eligible[/size]
    By MICHAEL RAND, Star Tribune
    Last update: April 30, 2008 - 7:56 AM

Kurt Bryan might be onto something. Bryan, the head football coach at Piedmont (Calif.) High, e-mailed recently to spread the word about the A-11 offense, a formation in which all 11 offensive players are potentially eligible.

Piedmont created it and -- after much discussion with officials about its legality -- ran it for the first time this past season to the tune of a 7-3 record. Intrigued, we decided to give Bryan a call. Turns out we're not the only ones around the country -- or even in Minnesota -- that want to know more.

"Some coaches are more open and some are more cryptic about who they are," Bryan said of interest generated among his peers. "There are two from Minnesota that are using anonymous names. They're definitely coaches. You can tell by the lingo they use."

The spread offense was hot in Minnesota last year. But it's a copycat game, and the A-11 offense could be "the next step in the evolution of the sport," Bryan said.
    And here's the coach's website:

http://www.a11offense.com/

Discuss.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Latest football idea: All 11 eligible

Fascinating stuff. My only question is that, if you can only have five receivers run downfield to catch passes, why have six receivers line up in the formation. This part of it is somewhat confusing. I'm also not entirely sure about having two QB's, though perhaps this is in hopes of getting the defense to pursue one but not the other.

I'd like to see this offense actually executed. It's diffiult to get a sense of what it would actually look like.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"The" wrote:
    Fascinating stuff. My only question is that, if you can only have five receivers run downfield to catch passes, why have six receivers line up in the formation. This part of it is somewhat confusing. I'm also not entirely sure about having two QB's, though perhaps this is in hopes of getting the defense to pursue one but not the other.

I'd like to see this offense actually executed. It's diffiult to get a sense of what it would actually look like.
    I haven't clicked around to look at the videos, but my assumption is that the any of the eligibles could go out at any time, so you could (conceivably) send the 4 guys on the right out, +1 on the left, hike it to the QB on the right, roll that way, pass across back to the 2nd QB and hit the wide-open (and forgotten) WR on the right.

As the article says - good system for teams w/out a lot of size.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

I just watched a few of the videos (didn't notice those before-it's still early here on the WC
    ). Seems pretty interesting. I expected it to be a bit more pass wacky, but actually they rely a lot it seems on the abilities of the two QB's to stay mobile. This could get your QB's killed.

Also, it doesn't seem nearly as effective when you near the goalline, for what should be fairly obvious reasons. I noticed that they line up in a more standard formation on a couple of their plays in the redzone.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"The" wrote:

The QB is eligible if he is not under center.
    Why can't you have 3 down lineman with the QB in the shotgun?
    That gives you 8 eligible.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

RULES INTERPRETATION REGARDING A-11 OFFENSE (BASED ON THE NFHS FOOTBALL RULE BOOK)

A. Eligible receivers must wear jersey # 1 – 49 or 80 – 99, except in a scrimmage kick formation. It is permitted to line up in a scrimmage kick formation on any down. When in a scrimmage kick formation all eleven offensive players may be wearing jersey # 1 – 49 or 80 – 99, with no duplicating numbers during the same play. At least 7 players must be on the LOS at the snap.

B. Eligible jersey numbering is required and the exception is in a scrimmage kick formation.

C. In a scrimmage kick formation, once a player wearing jersey # 1 – 49 or 80 –99 sets on the LOS between the ends, he remains ineligible for that play.

D. The Long Snapper is protected until he has ample time to recover or engages in the play, etc. Roughing the Snapper is a 15 – yard penalty and automatic first down.

E. During a scrimmage kick formation, a potential recipient of the Long Snap must be at least 7 – yards behind the neutral zone at the snap of the ball. The snap does not have to be received by that potential recipient but no other player can be directly under Center at the snap of the ball.

F. One of the main criteria for the deception rule is based on the “Sleeper Play” for substitutions and/or pretended substitutions. We do not use that type of play.

G. No coach or player should make a travesty of the game. Humbly and respectfully this new offense is the complete opposite of a travesty of the game. It is innovative and exciting for the players and fans.

H. In a scrimmage kick formation, the Free Blocking Zone does not exist after the football has been snapped. A player in the White Box (Tackle Box) can cut on the first step only.

I. The Long Snapper can snap the football to an eligible player as long as the ball goes backwards from the LOS and not to an immediate player on either side of the Long Snapper.
    Very interesting. I'll have to go watch those videos.

I kind of like it.

The negative to me is that the defense is going to immediately know which four of the receivers near the line are eligible based on whether or not they set a yard back or on the line of scrimmage.
    But I don't think they'll actually have time to adjust their formation, so you get much of the same benefit.

Seems like a lot of pressure is put on the QB to read the defense pre-snap, make a quick decision, and use his athletic ability to avoid the rush and make a good throw on the move.
    If you have someone that can do that, then you have the potential to win the numbers game on the outside.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"Overlord" wrote:
    I kind of like it.

The negative to me is that the defense is going to immediately know which four of the receivers near the line are eligible based on whether or not they set a yard back or on the line of scrimmage.
    But I don't think they'll actually have time to adjust their formation, so you get much of the same benefit.

Seems like a lot of pressure is put on the QB to read the defense pre-snap, make a quick decision, and use his athletic ability to avoid the rush and make a good throw on the move.
    If you have someone that can do that, then you have the potential to win the numbers game on the outside.
    I don't think that's the case. The only person that the defense can disregard as a receiver is the player who "sets on the LOS between the ends". Judging by the formation picture I posted above, the only player between the ends is the long snapper.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"josdin00" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    I kind of like it.

I don't think that's the case. The only person that the defense can disregard as a receiver is the player who "sets on the LOS between the ends". Judging by the formation picture I posted above, the only player between the ends is the long snapper.
    You are right, it is the long snapper.

I would think that zone coverage would beat this offense.
    Rush the standard four and you will at worst have no double teams on the line, with one of your DL being blocked by a QB.
    The other QB (weird saying that) will have to make very, very fast reads to get the ball off, and I don't think that there are very many QBs at the high school level who can do that.

From the videos I watched, it doesn't look like it is a high scoring offense either.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"josdin00" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    I kind of like it.

Check out rule interpretation A you posted:

A. Eligible receivers must wear jersey # 1 – 49 or 80 – 99, except in a scrimmage kick formation. It is permitted to line up in a scrimmage kick formation on any down. When in a scrimmage kick formation all eleven offensive players may be wearing jersey # 1 – 49 or 80 – 99, with no duplicating numbers during the same play. At least 7 players must be on the LOS at the snap.
    You see this called from time to time in the NFL when a receiver accidently lines up off the line when they are supposed to be covering up the tackle.
    Anyway though, there will be 2 of those 7 players (on the ends) that are eligible.
    The five on the line between them will not be eligible.
    The center will basically always be one of those 5.

So basically X and Z will be eligible every play.
    Other than them, only 2 of the WRs A, R, U, Y, E, and B will be eligible.
    The thing is that the offense can choose any 2 of these six guys for any given play, so the defense has to respect each of them when choosing their personel and calling their play.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]