Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Latest flurry of NFL arrests sends bad message

when everything has been handed to you your entire life on a silver platter, then you get out of college and they just give you more, what to you expect people to turn out like

the dicipline in the NFL is not the problem, the dicipline needed to be done during these kids high school & college careers. im sure they had teachers/professors that let them get away with anything because they played on a team, that needs to stop

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

I am just glad that we are not being talked about, knock on wood

Thanks PurpleMafia

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Kinda aside but I went to a Lexington (Kentucky) Legends baseball game the other day and got to talking to some of the management before the game. This is a Class C ballclub, the first rung on the ladder to the majors. I was asking the business manager about their pay status. He said every guy on the team was making an average of $3000 to $4000 per season (That's for about three months). They have to pay for their own apartments and meals except when they are on the road. The only "extra" pay they get is when they hit a home run or pitch a shutout then they pass a hat to the fans in the stands and may collect about $100 which is theirs to keep.
    So these players have a tough time making ends meet. They work hard to fulfill their dream and when they make the majors they appreciate it more. Maybe the NFL should institute some kind of "farm system" until these players grow up a bit.
    I know, it will never happen.
    It's called "major college football"...and the players play for FREE! Now, why would the NFL screw up such a good deal for themselves...and for the colleges! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

If I were 20+ years old with millions. Only god knows what would have happened. Maybe I would buy a chain of strip clubs who knows.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I believe it is putting a black mark on the team that the player being arrested plays for, not necessarily the whole NFL.. Right now, it seems like the Bengals are getting more publicity then the NFL is getting.. Now when we had that stupid boat scandal, it was the Vikings getting all the bad publicity, not the NFL.. It also seems to follow the players wherever they end up.. Now I bet that we will hear something about Culpepper next season being tied to the boat party in Minnesota..

The sad thing is that many problem players get drafted into the NFL even though there are so many red flags warning teams to stay away well in advance. Chris Henry is a prime example (I remember when some on this board wanted us to draft him right after we let Moss go...now that was a bad idea if I ever heard one). Lawrence Phillips is another example (and there are many others). Onterrio Smith wasn't drafted in rounds 1-3 for a reason. But we "stole" him in the fourth. Now it seems like he was a complete waste of a perfectly good 4th round pick to me. The Dolphins brought in Marcus Vick after the draft. They sure showed everyone how classy that organization is. I'm sure New Mexico and lil' ol' Kelly Campbell will get along just fine (I was very happy the day Tice finally cut Campbell loose). And now there is this debate regarding Ahmad Brooks. I wouldn't touch that guy with a ten foot pole (and I don't think the Vikes will...thank God). Sure, it's a gamble drafting any player at all, but honestly, I'd rather draft a hard-working player with good character and give him a shot over some hyped-up college prospect with "issues". Good character trumps raw talent with baggage attached anyday and I'm glad our current management agrees.
    Even babies know the difference.

Del Rio Guest

"kramer9guy" wrote:
    The sad thing is that many problem players get drafted into the NFL even though there are so many red flags warning teams to stay away well in advance. Chris Henry is a prime example (I remember when some on this board wanted us to draft him right after we let Moss go...now that was a bad idea if I ever heard one). Lawrence Phillips is another example (and there are many others). Onterrio Smith wasn't drafted in rounds 1-3 for a reason. But we "stole" him in the fourth. Now it seems like he was a complete waste of a perfectly good 4th round pick to me. The Dolphins brought in Marcus Vick after the draft. They sure showed everyone how classy that organization is. I'm sure New Mexico and lil' ol' Kelly Campbell will get along just fine (I was very happy the day Tice finally cut Campbell loose). And now there is this debate regarding Ahmad Brooks. I wouldn't touch that guy with a ten foot pole (and I don't think the Vikes will...thank God). Sure, it's a gamble drafting any player at all, but honestly, I'd rather draft a hard-working player with good character and give him a shot over some hyped-up college prospect with "issues". Good character trumps raw talent with baggage attached anyday and I'm glad our current management agrees.
    That's the reason they are given a chance. It is assumed teams will pass them by, and teams do rightfully so. When they slip down far enough pretty soon it may become worth the risk for a team. The players are talented maybe they can turn it around if not no biggy we spent a 4th.

That's the thinking anyway.

I mean you can even take it this direction. There are only so many teams in the NFL. You want to take a chance on a guy and be happy they suck instead of let him slip to the packers for a 7th round pick and discover that he cleaned up his act and is now in the process of tearing you a new asshole.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "kramer9guy" wrote:
    That's the reason they are given a chance. It is assumed teams will pass them by, and teams do rightfully so. When they slip down far enough pretty soon it may become worth the risk for a team. The players are talented maybe they can turn it around if not no biggy we spent a 4th.

I mean you can even take it this direction. There are only so many teams in the NFL. You want to take a chance on a guy and be happy they suck instead of let him slip to the packers for a 7th round pick and discover that he cleaned up his act and is now in the process of tearing you a new donkey butt.
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from Del. I do understand the risk some teams take on these type of guys (winning is the name of the game), but it seems rare when these gambles actually payoff in the long run and they seem to tear teams apart more than anything else.

Personally, I will always stand on the side of character first when it comes to these type of players and I'm glad our current management does also. Because if all teams thought like the Bengals, Dolphins or how the Vikings once did, we'd see alot more of these Chris Henry headlines more often and there will continue to be constant "flurries of NFL arrests" until all NFL teams decide character counts.
    Even babies know the difference.

Del Rio Guest

"kramer9guy" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "kramer9guy" wrote:

I mean you can even take it this direction. There are only so many teams in the NFL. You want to take a chance on a guy and be happy they suck instead of let him slip to the packers for a 7th round pick and discover that he cleaned up his act and is now in the process of tearing you a new donkey butt.
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from Del. I do understand the risk some teams take on these type of guys (winning is the name of the game), but it seems rare when these gambles actually payoff in the long run and they seem to tear teams apart more than anything else.

Personally, I will always stand on the side of character first when it comes to these type of players and I'm glad our current management does also. Because if all teams thought like the Bengals, Dolphins or how the Vikings once did, we'd see alot more of these Chris Henry headlines more often and there will continue to be constant "flurries of NFL arrests" until all NFL teams decide character counts.
    I haven't seen enough of this management to say one way or the other if they stand by character or not. I do know in the past our team has gambled plenty. Cris Carter, Randy Moss........ there will always be a team somewhere willing to take that risk. I can't even say I feel comfortable with my billion dollar owner trying to judge a man on his character by what he reads in the media. Always safer to bring them in and work them out at the very least.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12