Thread: KR vs. PR

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

KR vs. PR

I always wondered what the difference between a good KR and a good PR were. Why do so many teams choose to have a different field punts a kicks?

I understand punt returning has more pressure on the returner to catch the ball cleanly and then make quick moves to get to the open field a break a return.
    On the other hand kick returning is more about setting up a play on the fly and having a returner who will follow the play well. still he has to be able to make some moves.

So would spped be more important for PR or KR. I just never see a good KR and think. "Too bad he's bad at returning punts."
    Seems to me like the same guy could always do both.

What do you guys think?
    :lurk:
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: KR vs. PR

Punt returners have to be more shifty, usually you want someone that can make the 1st guy miss his tackle. Kick returners have to have straight ahead speed and the ability to pick up holes without reversing ground.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

PR, is much more difficult you have to field the ball while 10 maniacs and a punter are running you down and want to take your head off. You also have to be faster because you usually field it at a dead stop and then have to get to top speed ASAP. Sometimes you can field the KR on the run.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    PR, is much more difficult you have to field the ball while 10 maniacs and a punter are running you down and want to take your head off. You also have to be faster because you usually field it at a dead stop and then have to get to top speed ASAP. Sometimes you can field the KR on the run.
    Yes I agree, but the fact that it is more difficult would suggest that a good PR would also be a good KR.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!