Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Kelly Holcomb may pass on NFL

[size=13pt]Holcomb may passon NFL[/size]

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Huntsville Times
    al.com

Longtime quarterback seems OK to huddle up, plan his life's next phase....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

HughC is offline Rookie

Re: Kelly Holcomb may pass on NFL

NFL teams have plenty of other choices for backups than a 35 year old player who 'isn't sure if he wants the phone to ring.'
    The guy made the best of his abilities, but it's time for him to move on.
    Too bad so many others with more talent don't drain as much performance out of their god given abilities.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

actually i think it is the other way around. the nfl is going to pass on him because he sucks
    We're bringing purple back.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I'm glad he is gone also. But I want to say something positive about him.
    I was at the first Green Bay game last year.
    I was in the upper deck at the forty yard line with three very drunk and vociferous Pack fans sitting in the row behind me.
    In the fourth quarter, we had the ball with a chance to tie and time was winding down.
    Sidney Rice was open all day. Finally, Holcumb started throwing to Rice. He completed a few to Rice consecutively and got down in Packers territory around the 30 or so.
    Those Packer fans were very quite. It looked as if there certain win may be in jeprody.
    I don't know why, but the next pass play went to Wade. Holcumb didn't even look at Rice,and Rice was open again.
    The Green Bay safety, goldilocks I think, hit Wade before the ball got there and it resulted in an interception. The pass was on target.

So I know Holcumb wasn't that great for our team, but he was pretty good in that stretch.
    And I have always wondered why they decided to stop throwing to Rice, who was open.
    Was it Holcumb?
    Or was it the play calling?
    I hope it was Holcumb but I'm suspicious, because he never even looked at Rice on that play.
    Holcumb was a Viking so I wish him well.
    I'm glad we have Ferotte and Booty now.
    Oh Yeah. So long Bollinger. Farewell!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Brad Johnson, Kelly Holcomb, Giis Freotte, When with the over the hill has been QB's never end?

"Garland" wrote:
    Brad Johnson, Kelly Holcomb, Giis Freotte, When with the over the hill has been QB's never end?
    You didn't seem too pleased with the young ones either.
    Who did you want to see here?
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    I guess I look at it this way. Why have "elder" QB come in for one year tio help a younger player out. It obviously is not working. They are not there to provide competition, but mentoring. That should be the coaches job. Give TJack some competition that will make him better not over the hill back up QB's. I will end this here since that was not the intent of the thread, But Holcomb is done IMHO with his career, Maybe if a team is desperate enough for QB they will give him a look.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Garland" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    I guess I look at it this way. Why have "elder" QB come in for one year tio help a younger player out. It obviously is not working. They are not there to provide competition, but mentoring. That should be the coaches job. Give TJack some competition that will make him better not over the hill back up QB's. I will end this here since that was not the intent of the thread, But Holcomb is done IMHO with his career, Maybe if a team is desperate enough for QB they will give him a look.
    How many QB coaches do you know that have lined up behind center on a pro football team & were good QB's?

IMO, when it comes to mentoring, a good veteran QB can provide more "on-field" insight & help a young QB more than a QB coach who never played QB at the professional level can.

With that said, the veteran QB must be able to read defenses, make the reads of his players, anticipate what a defense might do & react accordingly, even though he might have slowed down a bit & his arm strength isn't what it once was.

I never watched Holcomb when he was in his prime, but I don't think he or Bollinger fit that bill.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"Garland" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    I have to agree the qb competition in training camp was a joke.
    I like what we have now in terms of backups however.
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Garland" wrote:
    You mean the trend that started with Joe Kapp and kept going through Archie manning, Warren Moon, Cunningham,McMahon,George,Johnson etc?

Hell, it wouldn't be the Vikings if we didn't bring in some QB past their prime to save the franchise ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast