Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Jon Kitna Done for the year

"V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I found the discussion on this interesting on the Sirius show yesterday.

Pat and Tim contended that he could still play and that the HC still wanted him to play, however, the mandate came down from the FO to start playing the kids so they can see what they have prior to the draft.

Then you go and look at the move (finally) to get rid of a certain WR to dallas for 3 nice picks.
    Of course, the HC didn't want to get rid of one of his only threats/weapons on offense.

Obviously this is a move by the FO to start down the path of rebuilding.

Anyway, long story short, just another example of the FO dictating to the coaching staff which in turn changes what they have to work with on the field.

I wonder if the Lions fans will be boo'ing the HC this weekend....... :
    And I'm sure he has really good job security as well.
    If I was a Lions fan I would be mad as hell at everybody from the FO to the Punter.
    The FO made a couple big moves AFTER the coach went 0-5 with a team that showed some promise last year.
    That's to be expected.
    If the Vikings were 0-5 I don't think Wilf would really be listening to what Childress wanted from his team at that point either.

But like always I sarcasticly agree Marr that the HC has absolutely no power over personel decisions.
    I'm sure Wilf doesn't even talk to Childress about these things at all.
    Yep, never.

They do

The Head Coach tells the owner who they want and others figure out if they fit into the cap and they decide to bring them in for a physical and meeting or not
    Do you really believe that the HC goes to the owner directly and not through the GM?

Comeon my friend, I think you forgot to put some smiley faces on that.
    Heck, even though the Vikings don't have a GM, our VP of Player Personnels job description and were he sits (Executive Staff in the Front Office) in the hierarchy of our organization should lead you to think otherwise.

http://www.vikings.com/TeamFrontOffice.aspx

Maybe not straight to the owner

But I know the headcoach lets someone know who they feel would fit in on the team

You are correct.

The way I understand it the Coaches at the end of the year provide Spielman and company a end of season assesment of each/every player.
    Based on that the FO guys start looking at candidates they have on thier board that might be possible candidates that fit the scheme.

Those candidates (both vet and rookie) are then presented to the coaching staff (game tape) for approval.

Long story short, based on cost, availability (will they come play here) etc etc the staff will then go after whichever one fits them the best and is still available.
    Remembering of course that FA's get signed by other teams and other teams draft ahead of us.

One caveat to this is that I think that the Ownership Group will only get involved it the team is going to go after someone of JA's stature were a huge investment is incurred both in CAP and draft picks or if the Coaches and VP of Player Personnel can't agree on a player.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=48558.msg853034#msg853034 date=1224087280]
    I found the discussion on this interesting on the Sirius show yesterday.

Pat and Tim contended that he could still play and that the HC still wanted him to play, however, the mandate came down from the FO to start playing the kids so they can see what they have prior to the draft.

Then you go and look at the move (finally) to get rid of a certain WR to dallas for 3 nice picks.
    Of course, the HC didn't want to get rid of one of his only threats/weapons on offense.

Obviously this is a move by the FO to start down the path of rebuilding.

Anyway, long story short, just another example of the FO dictating to the coaching staff which in turn changes what they have to work with on the field.

I wonder if the Lions fans will be boo'ing the HC this weekend....... :
    And I'm sure he has really good job security as well.
    If I was a Lions fan I would be mad as hell at everybody from the FO to the Punter.
    The FO made a couple big moves AFTER the coach went 0-5 with a team that showed some promise last year.
    That's to be expected.
    If the Vikings were 0-5 I don't think Wilf would really be listening to what Childress wanted from his team at that point either.

But like always I sarcasticly agree Marr that the HC has absolutely no power over personel decisions.
    I'm sure Wilf doesn't even talk to Childress about these things at all.
    Yep, never.

They do

The Head Coach tells the owner who they want and others figure out if they fit into the cap and they decide to bring them in for a physical and meeting or not
    Do you really believe that the HC goes to the owner directly and not through the GM?

Comeon my friend, I think you forgot to put some smiley faces on that.
    Heck, even though the Vikings don't have a GM, our VP of Player Personnels job description and were he sits (Executive Staff in the Front Office) in the hierarchy of our organization should lead you to think otherwise.

http://www.vikings.com/TeamFrontOffice.aspx

Maybe not straight to the owner

But I know the headcoach lets someone know who they feel would fit in on the team

You are correct.

The way I understand it the Coaches at the end of the year provide Spielman and company a end of season assesment of each/every player.
    Based on that the FO guys start looking at candidates they have on thier board that might be possible candidates that fit the scheme.

Those candidates (both vet and rookie) are then presented to the coaching staff (game tape) for approval.

Long story short, based on cost, availability (will they come play here) etc etc the staff will then go after whichever one fits them the best and is still available.
    Remembering of course that FA's get signed by other teams and other teams draft ahead of us.

One caveat to this is that I think that the Ownership Group will only get involved it the team is going to go after someone of JA's stature were a huge investment is incurred both in CAP and draft picks or if the Coaches and VP of Player Personnel can't agree on a player.
    [/quote]

Yes what he said

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Back to Kitna and the FO dictating who plays......

Listened to more of this subject on the Sirius last night. Obviously he can still play but the FO is in a rebuilding mode and want all the young guys on the field.

Of course a Coach on the hotseat with the fans would rather have him playing in an effort to win, but as I've been saying on here alot, sometimes the FO dictates who plays and who doesn't.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2008/1...long-term-stat

I wonder how many yutz Lions fans will be blaming the mess in Detroit on the HC instead of were most of the blame lies, with the FO.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123