KFFL
Giants | Johnson played with injured throwing elbow
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 19:41:02 -0700

John Altavilla, of The Hartford Courant, reports New York Giants QB Rob Johnson (elbow) played with his injured right throwing elbow Dec. 22, 2003, when he was with the Oakland Raiders. Johnson was called in to replace QB Rick Mirer in the third quarter. Johnson said, "I knew there was a problem long before my last game with the Raiders. Coach [Bill] Callahan knew. They weren't even letting me practice during the week, but he still let me be the backup. I just couldn't get a grip on the ball. I could deal with the pain, but I couldn't pump gas. It hurt to even shake people's hands." Johnson will play in his first game since then Thursday, Aug. 17. The game could decide Johnson's future in the NFL and he added, "It's huge. It always comes down to how you play in the game. Practice is big, but there's always good practice players who don't make the jump in games and the coaches want to see performance. That's what I'm looking forward to doing. Every time you go out there and put yourself on tape you're trying out not only for the Giants but everyone else."