Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

John Madden to take Sunday off

[size=13pt]John Madden to take Sunday off; first time in 28 years[/size]

Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:35 pm EDT

By Chris Chase

John Madden will take next Sunday off, ending a run of 476 consecutive NFL weekends in which he has called a game. Instead of traveling cross-country from San Diego to Tampa to call Sunday's NBC tilt between the Bucs and Seahawks, Madden will get a three-week break at his home in Northern California before heading to Indianapolis on November 2. (There is no Sunday night game on October 26 because of Game 4 of the World Series.)

Madden hasn't missed a game for any reason since he began at CBS in 1980. That streak has covered all four major networks (CBS, FOX, ABC and, now, NBC) three commissioners, two work stoppages and a 20-fold increase in the yearly rights fees networks pay to the league. It also has seen Madden grow from a coach-turned-commentator into a legend of the sport with a bust in Canton, a slew of endorsements and his name on the most popular sports video game franchise of all-time.

[img width=225 height=160]http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_experts__7/ept_sports_nfl_experts-225837960-1223936521.jpg?ymL4VKADqybHd914[/img]
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: John Madden to take Sunday off

"VikingMike" wrote:

By Chris Chase

John Madden will take next Sunday off, ending a run of 476 consecutive NFL weekends in which he has called a game. Instead of traveling cross-country from San Diego to Tampa to call Sunday's NBC tilt between the Bucs and Seahawks, Madden will get a three-week break at his home in Northern California before heading to Indianapolis on November 2. (There is no Sunday night game on October 26 because of Game 4 of the World Series.)

Madden hasn't missed a game for any reason since he began at CBS in 1980. That streak has covered all four major networks (CBS, FOX, ABC and, now, NBC) three commissioners, two work stoppages and a 20-fold increase in the yearly rights fees networks pay to the league. It also has seen Madden grow from a coach-turned-commentator into a legend of the sport with a bust in Canton, a slew of endorsements and his name on the most popular sports video game franchise of all-time.

[img width=225 height=160]http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_experts__7/ept_sports_nfl_experts-225837960-1223936521.jpg?ymL4VKADqybHd914[/img]
    He was born in Minnesota which probably gives him his work ethic. I really liked him right up the the mid-90's when he latched on to the all- cowboys bandwagon prior to the all- brett bandwagon. Those days pretty much took away all of the respect I had for his commentary

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:

By Chris Chase

He was born in Minnesota which probably gives him his work ethic. I really liked him right up the the mid-90's when he latched on to the all- cowboys bandwagon prior to the all- brett bandwagon. Those days pretty much took away all of the respect I had for his commentary

I hated him when he was the Raiders coach, but he showed so much compassion for Darryl Stingley when he was paralyzed, I couldn't hate him. I liked him as an early announcer, then as you said he boarded the Cowgirls and Favre bandwagons, and blah...however, I think I would like to have a one-on-one discussion of 70's football with him.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Brett Favre.

Doesn't he have off all off season?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Good.
    I now lump him and Cornhoser in the same boat.
    Can't stand listening to either one of them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I've always enjoyed listening to Madden's take.
    He's one guy I wouldn't mind sitting down with, drinking a beer, and discussing football.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Not acting like his hero is ?
    breaking his consecutive streak - something that Bretty boy wouldn't have done..lol
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Interesting.
    Actually he does provide some good in game angles from time to time.
    Others, you get stuff like the, "Well, you see, in order to win the game, you have to score points.
    In the NFL, the team that scores the most points is usually going to win the game!"
    ;D

In general, both SNF and MNF commentators kind of suck big lice infested hairy gorilla balls.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Derek Rick is offline Rookie

I really dont like that guy and think he is terrible announcer and a Vikings hater.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

The SNF and MNF guys are still 10 times the commentary booth the 4th string Fox guys that usually call our games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast