Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Joey Harrington chooses Miami

[size=18px]Joey chooses Miami[/size]

April 20, 2006
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Quarterback Joey Harrington has picked his new team. Now it's up to Lions president Matt Millen to get something for him in a trade.

Harrington forced the issue Wednesday, informing Millen of his decision and releasing a statement through the office of his agent, David Dunn.

"I look forward to joining the Miami Dolphins whenever I am released or a trade is completed," Harrington said in the statement. "The Dolphins are an ascending team with great coaching, and I can't wait to get started."

Harrington has control over his departure from Detroit because he is due a $4-million bonus if he is on the Lions' roster June 15. He would have to restructure his contract to facilitate a trade, and he reportedly has agreed to a deal with the Dolphins.

Millen is in a position of weakness. The Dolphins know if he can't make a trade, he will have to cut Harrington before June 15 to avoid paying him the bonus.

But the Dolphins have a reason to deal. Their starter, Daunte Culpepper, is recovering from torn knee ligaments and might not be ready to start the season. They need a backup to come in as soon as possible so he can learn the system and be ready to go.

The Dolphins have already traded their picks in the second, fifth and sixth rounds of this year's draft. They might be reluctant to part with another 2006 pick, but Millen said last week he would be willing to consider a 2007 pick. ESPN reported Wednesday the Dolphins were offering a sixth-rounder in 2007.

Millen could not be reached for comment. Bill Keenist, Lions senior vice president of communications, said Millen was involved in draft meetings.

The Lions drafted Harrington third overall in 2002. He went 18-37 as a starter and became a polarizing figure in Detroit -- from the stands to the locker room.

Millen said Feb. 21 he was approaching the off-season with Harrington as the starter, and coach Rod Marinelli agreed. Marinelli and offensive coordinator Mike Martz spoke positively about Harrington's potential afterward.

But things went sour at quarterback school March 6-8. Harrington didn't feel he could win with the Lions; the coaches didn't want a quarterback who wasn't confident he could lead the team.

The Lions told Harrington not to report for their off-season program and signed free agents Jon Kitna and Josh McCown.

"I certainly appreciate all that the Ford family and Matt Millen did for me," Harrington said in the statement. "I learned so much in Detroit, and I will always value those relationships and that experience.

"At the same time, I am eager to get to work with my new team, whether that happens in a day, a week or a month."

The Dolphins visit Detroit on Thanksgiving Day.

Contact NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA at 313-222-8831 or [email protected]

Joey chooses Miami

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Joey Harrington chooses Miami

The title of the article cracks me up. Wouldn't that imply that people wanted him and he got to choose the team? I guess that's true in a convoluted way.

Now, how funny will it be if Harrington pulls his head out of his ass and wins the starting role from Daunte after he regains his health?

PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

Dolphins were offering a sixth-rounder in 2007. Wow that aint much

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Lions | Trade for Harrington to be finalized before the NFL Draft?
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:24:29 -0700

Jeff Darlington, of the Palm Beach Post, reports the Miami Dolphins have offered the Detroit Lions a sixth-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft in exchange for QB Joey Harrington. As noted previously, a source said the Lions are prepared to accept the offer. The trade could be completed before next week's NFL Draft.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    KFFL
    Lions | Trade for Harrington to be finalized before the NFL Draft?
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:24:29 -0700

Jeff Darlington, of the Palm Beach Post, reports the Miami Dolphins have offered the Detroit Lions a sixth-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft in exchange for QB Joey Harrington. As noted previously, a source said the Lions are prepared to accept the offer. The trade could be completed before next week's NFL Draft.
    On the Superstar Show this morning on KFAN, Sludge figured that the Lions would take a pack of gum for Harrington, so a 6th-round pick ain't all that bad.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

So Harrington will be the starting QB for the season I guess, why would he go there to be the starter for only 1 season though unless he only took a one year deal?
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    So Harrington will be the starting QB for the season I guess, why would he go there to be the starter for only 1 season though unless he only took a one year deal?
    Better to start for one season or a part of a season than be the #3 QB in a town where they hate you, I'm thinking.

=Z=

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

With Miami's O-Line not being any good, Harrington will suck there as well. I feel the "Golfins" nickname will remain intact.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    Better to start for one season or a part of a season than be the #3 QB in a town where they hate you, I'm thinking.

=Z=
    True, but I thought he would have better off going elsewhere, but the Dolphins really needed a QB with Gus gone and Daunte rehabbing in the Wal Mart parking lot.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

=Z=
    True, but I thought he would have better off going elsewhere, but the Dolphins really needed a QB with Gus gone and Daunte rehabbing in the Wal Mart parking lot.
    Isn't there a Chinese restaurant around the corner, too? :grin:

I don't know if the Lions had many takers for Harrington. I wouldn't want him.

=Z=

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast