Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    minnesotapride is offline Training Camp

Re: Joe Horn will be let go

We should take a serious look at this guy.
    He is a great leader and not a big complainer like moss was.
    He would boost our offense and maybe help the younger wide recievers like williamson for the future.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Go get him!!!!!!!! We need someone who can catch, he's great when he's healthy.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Horn would be a good fit. If we plan on scoring any TD's through the air we need a guy or two that can come in a make an impact right away. I know if our QB can throw the ball to him he will catch it. There's really no reason not to go after two WR's this FA.

It sure would open things up in the draft.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Joe Horn Released by the Saints

Saints release four-time Pro Bowler Horn
    NFL.com wire reports

NEW ORLEANS (March 1, 2007) -- The New Orleans Saints released four-time Pro Bowl receiver Joe Horn, saying Horn asked to be let go after the Saints asked him to take a pay cut.

"Joe really wanted to see where his value is around the league for his services," general manager Mickey Loomis said. "With as much as Joe has meant to the Saints and to New Orleans, we don't want to impede his desire to do so, and we have kept the door open for him to return to our team."

Horn, who was the most frequent spokesman for the players during their Katrina-enforced exile during the 2005 season, had caught 523 passes for 7,622 yards and scored a team-record 50 touchdowns since coming to New Orleans as a free agent in 2000. He ranks second in club history in catches and yardage, and he is the team's all-time leader in 100-yard receiving games with 27.

Horn, who turned 35 in January, missed the Saints' last four regular season games in 2006 and both playoff games because of a groin injury.

He had 37 catches for 679 yards and four touchdowns during the regular season.

In May of 2005, Horn signed a six-year extension that would have paid him about $42 million for the life of the contract. Next season, he was to be paid about $4.45 million and receive a $1 million roster bonus later this month.

Horn was by far the Saints best receiver during his first five seasons with the team. In 2004, he had 1,399 yards receiving and 11 touchdowns.

In 2005, however, a hamstring injury caused his numbers to drop dramatically to 654 yards receiving and one touchdown. It was the first of two injury-plagued seasons the yielded numbers far below what he had put up earlier in the decade.

He still demonstrated flashes of his old self, catching touchdowns of 14 and 48 yards in the Saints dramatic 27-24 victory over Philadelphia on Oct. 15. But while he was injured, other, younger receivers emerged, including surprising rookie Marques Colston (1,038 yards, eight TDs) and third-year former LSU star Devery Henderson (745 yards, five TDs).

Rookie running back Reggie Bush also was used as a receiver, both out of the backfield and lining up in the slot and led the Saints in receptions with 88 for 742 yards and two touchdowns.

The Saints also got solid contributions from third-year receiver Terrance Copper (385 yards, three TDs), whose playing time increased with Horn's injury and whom Saints coach Sean Payton liked when the two were with the Dallas Cowboys in 2004 and 2005.

Still, Payton spoke highly of Horn upon the receiver's release from the team.

"Joe's numbers speak for themselves, and throughout his career here he has been everything an NFL player should be in the community," Payton said. "He holds a special place to our fans because of his involvement in the city and his passion on the field. Decisions of this type arent easy, and we understand his desire to see what his value may be with other teams."

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Joe Horn Released by the Saints

hopefully he lands in a good place, all i ever heard in saints interviews in new orleans when they talked about players is how much they appreciate what Joe had done for the community

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Go Joe!
    This guy has done more for the community than any other player in the NFL that I know of.
    He is the man.

======================================
    POSTED 7:57 a.m. EST, March 2, 2007

HORN BLOWS UP AT SAINTS
    pft.com

Receiver Joe Horn is pissed off at his former team.
    So, although the Saints have seemingly left the door open to his potential return, it looks like it will be difficult if not impossible to get these two back together.

"Right now it's going around that [the Saints] wanted to restructure my contract and I asked to be released, but this has nothing to do with money," Horn told the Fayetteville (N.C.) Observer.
    "I wanted to retire as a Saint.
    I've been through hell and back for that city and that organization.
    If I wanted out of New Orleans that bad, I would have just kept my mouth shut and let them move the team to San Antonio.

“I just don’t think [head coach] Sean Payton wanted me back. I asked to be released because I felt betrayed by a head coach who wanted to prove he could win without Joe Horn.”

Horn cites the refusal of Payton to use Horn after he had recovered from an injury as the catalyst for the divorce.

"When Sean Payton came here, I promised him I would be the best receiver, the strongest receiver and the best conditioned receiver in the league,” Horn said. "Even after I got hurt, I rehabbed every week, trying to come back.
    But even after the best orthopedic doctor in the country said I was ready to play and I practiced twice before the [NFC Championship game] against Chicago, he made the decision not to play me.
    That's when I realized that New Orleans wasn’t going to be big enough for both Joe Horn and Sean Payton."

In our view, this is a big deal because Horn was the face and voice of the team after Hurricane Katrina ravaged the region.
    And though the team tried to put a happy face on the move, Horn isn't going to let them secure the high road.

Moving forward, Horn thinks that he'll be productive in his next city.

"I want to go someplace where I can show that I can still put up big numbers and help the football team win," Horn said. "I want to go someplace with a head coach who believes in me and an organization that wants me.
    My age and the injury are not an issue.
    I know I can still perform and be one of the best receivers in the league."

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

After reading that article, isn't that the same type of "character" that Childress demands of his players.. Lets see, we need WR's bad, we need classy guys, and Joe Horn has been a great WR in his career.. They should bring in the Horn man for a look..

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I agree, the man definitely deserves at least a visit.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

My complete lack of confidence in BC would be lessened to some extent if he were to ink Horn.

In one instant, whatever QB ends up our starter would have it much easier.

Let's hope Wilf is ready to be aggressive...
    -Sno

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Any interest in Horn?
    Friday, March 2nd, 2007
    by Judd Zulgad

The Green Bay Packers are the only team from the NFC North that has expressed interest in veteran receiver Joe Horn, who was let go by the Saints. It’s unknown if the Vikings plan to pursue Horn. Right now, there are about eight teams in the running for Horn and it looks as if he might be making a visit to Atlanta. The Vikings also are not believed to have gotten in the running for veteran receiver Keenan McCardell.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast