Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Re: Jim Brown sues video game makers

I disagree with most of you.
    If all they did was use the #32 then I would say he's being picky.
    But his likeness is his and he should be paid.

I wouldn't want just anyone to use my likeness in a video game, especially if it's one where Packer fans fudge pack me for points.

[size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Keep in mind most of the people playing Madden are under 20 years old.
    The majority have probably never heard of Jim Brown and wouldn't recognize him even if his jersey said "Brown" on the back.
    I disagree with both parts of that statement.

Here's an article from 2003 that says that the median age of video game players was 29 in 2003 (link).
    I don't have the demographics on Madden players, but I have to think that the 20-30 crowd is tops for that game.

As for Jim Brown and his level of fame, he's widely regarded as the best running back of all time (link).
    He's been in a number of popular movies (link).
    His face comes up all the time on ESPN, NFL network, on the internet, etc.
    I would think that a large percentage of people that are actually interested in football enough to play Madden games would know who he was.

"SKOL" wrote:
    Jim Brown gets a pension check from the NFL.
    They should have made him sign off before sending a check.
    This is a video game.
    It's not like the makers would have paid him more than a couple hundred bucks anyway, for his likeness.
    First, any pension Jim Brown gets was bargained for and earned independently of publicity rights for this or any other video game.
    Trying to withhold his check in order to make him sign off on something like this would be illegal.

Second, I'm not sure how much money they would be willing to pay or how much he would want, but it doesn't matter that much.
    The point is that EA might have needed his consent (to be decided by the court) and did not get it.
    The value of his image might be useful in determining any damages or in negotiating a settlement.
    I don't think it's relevant to the central question of whether EA messed up.

Also, there actually was a game that used retired players this year: All-Pro Football 2k8.
    I'm not sure how good the game actually was, but they actually got licenses from every player they used.
    That suggests that there is value in these retired players.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

I agree when I would play an old Vikings team... not one person I was playing with who #10 was. Even my younger brother didn't know which is really weird.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"Overlord" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    The majority have probably never heard of Jim Brown and wouldn't recognize him even if his jersey said "Brown" on the back.

Here's an article from 2003 that says that the median age of video game players was 29 in 2003 (link).
    I don't have the demographics on Madden players, but I have to think that the 20-30 crowd is tops for that game.

As for Jim Brown and his level of fame, he's widely regarded as the best running back of all time (link).
    I would think that a large percentage of people that are actually interested in football enough to play Madden games would know who he was.

"SKOL" wrote:
    This is a video game.
    It's not like the makers would have paid him more than a couple hundred bucks anyway, for his likeness.
    First, any pension Jim Brown gets was bargained for and earned independently of publicity rights for this or any other video game.
    Trying to withhold his check in order to make him sign off on something like this would be illegal.

Second, I'm not sure how much money they would be willing to pay or how much he would want, but it doesn't matter that much.
    The point is that EA might have needed his consent (to be decided by the court) and did not get it.
    The value of his image might be useful in determining any damages or in negotiating a settlement.

Also, there actually was a game that used retired players this year: All-Pro Football 2k8.
    I'm not sure how good the game actually was, but they actually got licenses from every player they used.
    Overlord, that was a great post!!
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Overlord" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

I would think that a large percentage of people that are actually interested in football enough to play Madden games would know who he was
    You may be right in the fact that people under 30 recognize him.
    However I am 26 years old and have followed football for a long time.
    I know who Jim Brown is, but I certainly couldn't have told you which number he wore, what year he entered the NFL, what year he retired, etc....nor do I care.
    I would be surprised if the majority of people in the under 30 category could tell you what number he wore.
    I bet even half couldn't even tell you which team he played for.
    We're the Barry Sanders/Emmit Smith generation.

He is a football legend, his name will live on forever, but detailed recognition is a bit much to ask for a group of people not even alive during his prime time.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"gagarr" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"SKOL" wrote:
    This is a video game.

It was a great post, the best of the day.
    My point is valid though.
    Obviously the NFL sold this company the right to use the players in this new game.
    That fact alone should remove them from being being sued by any player.
    Possibly the NFL uses this revenue to pay pensions...
    Jim Brown used the technicality that he wasn't able to be represented by a lawyer at the time of him signing his contracts as a reason to go after this company.
    My point was that the league should make them sign off on any such garbage lawsuits before giving them pension checks.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"SKOL" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"SKOL" wrote:
    This is a video game.

It was a great post, the best of the day.
    My point is valid though.
    Obviously the NFL sold this company the right to use the players in this new game.
    That fact alone should remove them from being being sued by any player.
    Jim Brown used the technicality that he wasn't able to be represented by a lawyer at the time of him signing his contracts as a reason to go after this company.
    My point was that the league should make them sign off on any such garbage lawsuits before giving them pension checks.
    I'm not sure the pension is relevant, tho, Skol.
    Here's why - when All-Pro Football 2k7 came out last year, they had real players in the game - and each one of those players was individually negotiated with and then signed.
    That (to me) says that once they leave the game (and are no longer under contract with an NFL team) then the right to their image reverts to them (from the NFLPA, who, I believe, actually holds the group marketing rights for players, not the NFL).

I dunno.
    I know Jimmy Brown is a proud man, and I can see how this would piss him off.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12