NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Jets Trade Revis to Bucs

Jets get two picks for Revis | ProFootballTalk

Per Schefter, the Jets will receive a fourth-round pick in 2014 (which some would regard as the equivalent of a fifth-round pick in 2013). The fourth-round pick in 2014 can become a third-rounder, based on certain conditions.

The package is less than the first-rounder, seventh-rounder, and 2014 third-rounder the Vikings finagled for receiver Percy Harvin.
    $96 million for Revis, making him the highest paid DB in NFL history. None of it guaranteed though.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Jets get two picks for Revis | ProFootballTalk

$96 million for Revis, making him the highest paid DB in NFL history. None of it guaranteed though.
    $16M this year, that's more than our entire secondary, considerably more.

I show we currently pay around $11M for 13 secondary players (Including a number of them that won't make the final roster). Money saved here has all gone to the defensive line, where we spend close to $40M.

Our highest paid player in the secondary is Jamarca Sanford at $2.25M. Yep, Sanford is our highest paid DB.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    $16M this year, that's more than our entire secondary, considerably more.

I show we currently pay around $11M for 13 secondary players (Including a number of them that won't make the final roster). Money saved here has all gone to the defensive line, where we spend close to $40M.

Our highest paid player in the secondary is Jamarca Sanford at $2.25M. Yep, Sanford is our highest paid DB.
    That is the scariest thing I have heard in a long time. Although I will admit that played better last year than in previous.

How is he making more than Cook? I know that Sanford was drafted in 2009 and Cook was 2010, but Cook was also a high 2nd rounder and Sanford was a 7th.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    That is the scariest thing I have heard in a long time. Although I will admit that played better last year than in previous.

How is he making more than Cook? I know that Sanford was drafted in 2009 and Cook was 2010, but Cook was also a high 2nd rounder and Sanford was a 7th.
    Sanford was just re-signed, wheras Cook is still on his rookie deal.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Sanford was just re-signed, whereas Cook is still on his rookie deal.
    Yes, MN is very young in the secondary. Sanford at 27, is the old man of the group. Of the current DB roster players, I think only Sanford and Jefferson are on non-rookie contracts. A little foxconn approach to the secondary, just keep them off the upper stories of Winter Park.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    I think the Bucs gave up too much. You could have drafted a pretty solid corner with the 13th pick, and paid him a fraction the cost for the next 4 years.
    Even if Revis returns to the great player he once was, they would still pay him 64million over 4 years. I seriously doubt they even keep him that long, he would have to play at all pro-level every year just to get paid the following year. Seems unlikely, especially with the injury concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I think the Bucs gave up too much. You could have drafted a pretty solid corner with the 13th pick, and paid him a fraction the cost for the next 4 years.
    Even if Revis returns to the great player he once was, they would still pay him 64million over 4 years. I seriously doubt they even keep him that long, he would have to play at all pro-level every year just to get paid the following year. Seems unlikely, especially with the injury concerns.
    I agree. Using 13% of your salary cap on a CB seems a bit excessive, considering he can only neutralize one player on any given play. QB I can understand, AD I understand, everyone else, I have a hard time with it.

However, with no guaranteed money in the contract, they can cut their losses relatively quickly without a lot of long term dead money. From that perspective, I have an easier time with it.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I love revis as a player. But holy balls, there is no way I would want the team to give up those picks and commit that type of cap room to get him. I am glad we weren't trying to sign him if that is what it took.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Whats really funny in all of this is that the Jets slipped from 1rst vs the pass to 2nd vs the pass without him.

Might explain why no other team even showed interest in a "True Shut Down" corner. Just aren't needed anymore. At least not at that price.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Personally I think the Bucs got hosed on this deal both financially and in terms of draft picks. Still its the Jets with the extra picks so you know they'll be wasted. So two teams screwed for their draft choices this year
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...