Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Jets to set embarrassing NFL record?

Highlights from article:

the Jets will take on the Dolphins today and try to avoid becoming the worst road team in NFL history.

...And there is the matter of getting a road lead - the Jets haven't done that this season, not by one point, not for one second. The closest they came was the 3-3 tie they forged in the first half at New England two weeks ago.

If this sounds unusual, it's because going seven road games without a lead is virtually unheard of. If the Jets fail to get a lead in Game 8 today at Dolphins Stadium, they would become the first NFL road team since the mid-'30s to go an entire road schedule without a lead...
    If you favor defenses that give up a load of points, the 1948 Lions were your team, yielding 42.0 points - six touchdowns - per game.
    Blowout defeats? None worse than John McKay's 1976 expansion Buccaneers, who lost by an even 30 points per game and one of the teams that prompted McKay, asked after one game about their execution, to reply, "I'm in favor of it."
    ===============================================

Jets are on the road to setting an embarrassing NFL record
    Sunday, December 18, 2005
    By RANDY LANGE
    STAFF WRITER

MIAMI - The Jets aren't kidding themselves. They know they've been awful, not awesome. They know there are good reasons, but no good excuses for it. And they know a major component of this bad season has been a bad season away from home.

"Last year we knew how to win on the road," cornerback David Barrett said. "This year we just can't finish people off. It's frustrating for us. We've got to figure out some way to get it fixed.

"Oh-and-seven ... that's not good at all."

Here's how not good it really is. For their next act this season, the Jets will take on the Dolphins today and try to avoid becoming the worst road team in NFL history.

The worst? Is it that bad? Well, that's up for discussion, but the Jets could be in the discussion. And they have only one game to get out of it because Miami is their final road game of the season.

Here's why the Jets are even in this conversation. First let's thin the herd. Only the road teams with no wins and no ties over the years need apply for this title of worst road team. Since the NFL began standardizing schedules in 1935, 72 teams whose franchises are still playing fit this criterion.

Within this group, some are worse offenders than others. If you favor defenses that give up a load of points, the 1948 Lions were your team, yielding 42.0 points - six touchdowns - per game.

Blowout defeats? None worse than John McKay's 1976 expansion Buccaneers, who lost by an even 30 points per game and one of the teams that prompted McKay, asked after one game about their execution, to reply, "I'm in favor of it."

The Jets, though inconsistent defensively, have been better than those bad Detroit and Tampa Bay teams and don't figure in these categories.

But when talk turns to dysfunctional offenses, count Gang Green in. Their 6.7 points per game (fashioned on a current streak of three games without a touchdown) trails only the all-time low-scoring road leader, those '76 Bucs, at 6.6.

And there is the matter of getting a road lead - the Jets haven't done that this season, not by one point, not for one second. The closest they came was the 3-3 tie they forged in the first half at New England two weeks ago.

If this sounds unusual, it's because going seven road games without a lead is virtually unheard of. If the Jets fail to get a lead in Game 8 today at Dolphins Stadium, they would become the first NFL road team since the mid-'30s to go an entire road schedule without a lead.

The Jets offered equal parts contrition, irritation and hope in talking about ending their woeful road ways. Coach Herm Edwards provided unfavorable statistical comparisons between the Jets and their hosts in such categories as points, turnovers, yardage and penalties.

"You want some more? A cherry on top? That's why we're 0-7, to be quite honest, because you can't play like that on the road," Edwards said. "Who's the fool? The fool or the fool that follows the fool? Obviously, we've been following him because we're not playing very well on the road.

"There are a lot of things we haven't done real well, so I'll just take it for what it's worth and it starts with me."

Center Pete Kendall pointed to the Jets' opponents' strength of schedule, a strong .548.

"The teams we've played on the road at the time, they were playing pretty well and we played pretty poorly," Kendall said. "New England was starting to get it figured out. Atlanta was humming when we went down there."

Other contributing factors are the offensive injuries and the porous run defense.

Whatever the causes, the Jets have been energized by their home win over the Raiders. They see it as a springboard toward scoring a couple of touchdowns, getting a lead and holding it, beating the Dolphins and ending this talk about them being one of the worst band of road warriors in NFL annals.

"It'd feel good to get a lead, but we're not going to jump for joy and say, 'Oh, we're going to win it,'Ÿ" linebacker Jonathan Vilma said. "You've got to play four quarters and finish strong. We know that and we know Miami finishes strong."

"I don't hear a lot of guys saying, 'We've got to win on the road because we've got to end this streak,'Ÿ" Kendall said. "I just think we've got to win another game."

But Barrett said he's been doing more video homework than normal this past week and so have the teammates he hangs with.

"Everybody," he said, "wants to win a road game."

E-mail: [email protected]

Jordan is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Jets to set embarrassing NFL record?

that's really embarassing for their franchise

"SSSMMMOOTTT" & "Toine" will be the best CB combo in the NFL next year TRUST ME!!!

Prophet Guest

It was surprising to me that they haven't even led for a second in a road game. That is bad, no doubt about that.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

wow i didnt know that. i knew they sucked, but not that much
    We're bringing purple back.

Prophet Guest

If this sounds unusual, it's because going seven road games without a lead is virtually unheard of. If the Jets fail to get a lead in Game 8 today at Dolphins Stadium, they would become the first NFL road team since the mid-'30s to go an entire road schedule without a lead...
    Congratulations to the Jets....I guess. They lost the game, but had the lead for a little while for the first time this year on the road.

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

Some of their fans were annoyed about the Jets winning last week since they want the Jets to claim Bush.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

0-8 on the road. how sad. at least they had a lead for a while in this weeks game
    We're bringing purple back.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I almost gurantee that the Jets will trade up to get Reggie or Matt, if they don't end up with a high enough pick.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

They'd be better off getting Bush, it will most likely take a couple of seasons for Leinart to develop and be more accustomed to the nfl level.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Take Bush.. Martin should retired.. And Bush is NFL ready for sure.. Pennington should be back next year and fully healed so he should be pretty healthy maybe.. But they really need a young stud RB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast