Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Jets may give Cottrell a second look

Posted on Sun, Jan. 08, 2006

[size=18px]Jets may give Cottrell a second look[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell could emerge as a candidate for the New York Jets' head coaching vacancy.

Agent Joe Linta said he expects the Jets to interview his client because Cottrell was a finalist for the head coaching position in 2001, when owner Woody Johnson chose Herman Edwards instead.

"Since (Cottrell) was the finalist, I would expect them to come back to him and take another look," Linta said. "Maybe the Jets will want to find out if they hired the wrong guy."

The Jets have not sought permission from the Vikings to interview Cottrell.

But Johnson's fondness for Cottrell was evident in 2001; Johnson hired Cottrell as the assistant head coach/defensive coordinator without Edwards' blessing. Edwards fired Cottrell in 2003.

Because of the contentious nature of Edwards' departure from the Jets — the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday agreed to give the Jets a fourth-round pick to hire him — Johnson might be inclined to circle back to Cottrell.

Still, early indications are the Jets prefer someone with NFL head coaching experience, which would cast a blow to Cottrell. If that is the case, the favorites could be Mike Sherman (Green Bay), Jim Haslett (New Orleans) and Mike Martz (St. Louis).

Meanwhile, Vikings assistant coaches were not optimistic that newly hired coach Brad Childress would retain them. Childress is expected to meet with them Wednesday. But the current coaches, whose contracts expire at the end of this month, already have heard from peers around the league whom Childress plans to hire. New coaches typically have a two-deep list of candidates for each spot, and they often leave off coaches already on the current staff, in an effort not to jar the current owner and executives.

Childress is believed to be considering Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Darrell Bevell and Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach Pat Shurmur as offensive coordinator. Bevell would make a lateral move to the Vikings in the same position because his deal is set to expire.

Shurmur, who is under contract, would need a promotion to offensive coordinator to leave the Eagles.

Eagles secondary coach Sean McDermott and linebackers coach Steve Spagnuolo are possible candidates to be Vikings defensive coordinator.

UCLA running backs coach Eric Bieniemy could be a candidate for the same position with the Vikings.

One possibility for defensive line could be Tim Krumrie, a native of Mondovi, Wis., and nose tackle Pat Williams' former position coach with the Buffalo Bills. Krumrie, a former Pro Bowl defensive lineman, was fired Friday by the Bills.

Childress has started contacting potential assistants, but the Vikings have not yet sought permission to interview those coaches. That process could start Monday or Tuesday.

Briefly: Vikings free safety Darren Sharper was named a Pro Bowl starter by the league Saturday.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

SamDawg84 Guest

Re: Jets may give Cottrell a second look

man singer ur all over the place with artcles lol. i want teddy to stay!! either that or get monte kiffin to replace him

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Man, my friend at work who is a Jets fan would be PISSED royally if Cottrell got the HC job with the Jets!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Sam, fuggitabout Teddy...he's ancient history...never to return!

I wonder if we are actually gonna get Eric "Sleeping With" Bieneimy as RB coach...one of Berman's BEST nicknames for former players!!!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Man, my friend at work who is a Jets fan would be PISSED royally if Cottrell got the HC job with the Jets!!!
    would they ever !! I remember visiting a Jets board after we took Cottrell on as DC and a large number were not high on him. If he goes back as HC then they will really down !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"SamDawg84" wrote:
    man singer ur all over the place with artcles lol. i want teddy to stay!! either that or get monte kiffin to replace him
    Once again, why?

I feel sorry for the NY fans.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

One reason would be continuity, the second would be experience. people have posted all year long about how he doesnt' know how to game plan....the person that seems to be replacing him literally doesn't. Think Looney at OC, DC, Special teams and HC. Rookies. Owwie.

Ted at least HAS had a number 1 defense in the NFL. None of our candidates has. We will find that out next year, I fear.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Sucks for them. Lose Herm, gain Teddy. Wow thier franchise is gettin worse....has Red taken over in NY?

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

well i liked teddy.

i felt that this d fense was turning the corner.

but good luck in Ny if that is where he goes.

Go vikes!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast