Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Jets coach trips Dolphins player during game

I don't doubt that the coach viewed it as the player getting a little closer than he should have been.

Trouble is, the coach is supposed to be more mature than the player and move--not give him a knee to teach him a lesson.

We'll never know for sure who encroached unless we get replays from different angles, but the coach is going to be held responsible anyway.

Bet the coach got himself a nice bruise on the knee with that little move.

Macho shit......usually ends bad.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1083238
    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1083188
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1083148
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1083147
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1083144
    I watched that over and over again.

while yes, it was poor spirit of the game, he really didn't do anything wrong.

The gunner was running OB. The coach stood his ground. He didn't move to get out of the way, which he should have done, but there's no rule about that. He simply stood his ground, which is 100% ok. If a player runs into a coach,(which is technically what happened) there's nothing that can be done. yes, the coach leaned into it, but it was because the coach wanted to be the hammer, not the nail.
    That's true, but he just as easily could have avoided the collision completely.
    Yes, that's true, but it's not on him to avoid players, its on the player to avoid the guys on the sideline.

IMO, that was unsportsmanlike, but as far as rules go, nothing wrong happened.
    Actually he did do wrong. He bent his knee on purpose with the intention of bumping into the Dolphin player. What he did was not okay in any sense of the play. He doesn't have to move but he shouldn't be intentionally involving himself in the play either. That's pretty dangerous. I know it didn't look like much but you try running down field full speed and have someone knee you in the thigh. I can assure you it doesn't feel good.

By the way, why would a conditioning coach be that close to the playing field anyway? Isn't there a rule about anyone being that close to the OOB line?
    If you look at the sideline, there's the main fat stripe that surrounds the field. Then a yard or two further back there's a line.

As far as I know players are supposed to be behind that line, I assume it applies to non-essential personnel on game-day as well. I'm not sure if that's a rule or not in the NFL, if it is, it certainly isn't enforced. It was strictly enforced in high school for me.
    Wow.

I think you just like to disagree with people. Much like C Mac D and Infidel.

He bent his knee over the line. You cannot do that. You should know this from High School. Especially interfering with a play.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1083209
    Woody Hayes liked the play!
    LOL! Good one!

I wonder how many here would know what you are referring to w/o Googling it.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler

Didn't he admit to tripping the guy?

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "ultravikingfan" #1083313
    LOL! Good one!

Wish I could find the video. Woody should have never coached at the amateur level again after that incident. It was far worse than this one.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "ultravikingfan" #1083313
    LOL! Good one!

I knew it.....can't admit to being there, but I read about it in a book a several years ago.

Scout200 is offline Training Camp

Sal Alosi trips Dolphin - Punishment too harsh?

The NFL suspended New York Jets strength coach Sal Alosi for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs without pay for his intentional tripping of Miami Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll on Sunday. He was also fined $25,000.

Some people feel that his punishment is too harsh while others think it should be more severe.. what are your thoughts?
    None

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

I didn't hear about the fine, I heard that he was suspended for the rest of the season with out pay. A strength and conditioning coach can't make much in regards to salary I wouldn't think. Granted, I'm sure he makes a hell of a lot more than I do, but thats going to hurt him... he'll feel that fine unlike the players do.

I'm torn on this one... he was in the wrong no doubt. The players have enough to worry about during the game and shouldn't have to worry that someone on the sidelines is going to do something boneheaded like that.

On the other hand, he made a stupid mistake, forgive and forget.

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

The player was headed right at the coaches and turned at the last second to just brush them.

He was clearly menacing them and playing macho.....so the coach played back.

Bad mistake.

I heard he was suspended for the rest of the season.

That's a heavy loss of money for him.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

dfosterf is offline Coach

Over at PackersHome, Pack93z asked why the assistant strength trainer was even on the sideline in the first place.

Andrew Brandt says that the assistant strength and conditioning coach is the "Get Back" guy on most NFL teams on gameday.

"Get Back" guy has the responsibility is to ensure that coaches and staff are away from the sidelines.

Yep, that was probably his job.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast