Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Jets coach trips Dolphins player during game

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1083148
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1083147
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1083144
    I watched that over and over again.

while yes, it was poor spirit of the game, he really didn't do anything wrong.

The gunner was running OB. The coach stood his ground. He didn't move to get out of the way, which he should have done, but there's no rule about that. He simply stood his ground, which is 100% ok. If a player runs into a coach,(which is technically what happened) there's nothing that can be done. yes, the coach leaned into it, but it was because the coach wanted to be the hammer, not the nail.
    That's true, but he just as easily could have avoided the collision completely.
    Yes, that's true, but it's not on him to avoid players, its on the player to avoid the guys on the sideline.

IMO, that was unsportsmanlike, but as far as rules go, nothing wrong happened.
    Actually he did do wrong. He bent his knee on purpose with the intention of bumping into the Dolphin player. What he did was not okay in any sense of the play. He doesn't have to move but he shouldn't be intentionally involving himself in the play either. That's pretty dangerous. I know it didn't look like much but you try running down field full speed and have someone knee you in the thigh. I can assure you it doesn't feel good.

By the way, why would a conditioning coach be that close to the playing field anyway? Isn't there a rule about anyone being that close to the OOB line?

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Woody Hayes liked the play!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Mk1 is offline Rookie

The gunner was running OB. The coach stood his ground. He didn't move to get out of the way, which he should have done, but there's no rule about that. He simply stood his ground, which is 100% ok. If a player runs into a coach,(which is technically what happened) there's nothing that can be done. yes, the coach leaned into it, but it was because the coach wanted to be the hammer, not the nail.
    Yes, that's true, but it's not on him to avoid players, its on the player to avoid the guys on the sideline.

Seriously? For a minute I thought I was reading a Jets blog. Since he's apologized to the Dolphins coach, the player and the Jets organization, said he was wrong to do what he did and is going to accept any punishment the team or league hand down, its hard to believe people are defending him. He is not a player and had no business trying to trip or injure a player on the field. What he did was wrong. Period.

In another indication of the classlessness of the Jets organization, after one of their coaches injures the player and the guy was on the ground at the feet of the coaching staff in obvious pain, all but one of the Jets staff totally ignores him.

I'm looking forward to the posts blaming Favre for this. I'm sure they're coming.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1083188

Actually he did do wrong. He bent his knee on purpose with the intention of bumping into the Dolphin player. What he did was not okay in any sense of the play. He doesn't have to move but he shouldn't be intentionally involving himself in the play either. That's pretty dangerous. I know it didn't look like much but you try running down field full speed and have someone knee you in the thigh. I can assure you it doesn't feel good.

By the way, why would a conditioning coach be that close to the playing field anyway? Isn't there a rule about anyone being that close to the OOB line?
    If you look at the sideline, there's the main fat stripe that surrounds the field. Then a yard or two further back there's a line.

As far as I know players are supposed to be behind that line, I assume it applies to non-essential personnel on game-day as well. I'm not sure if that's a rule or not in the NFL, if it is, it certainly isn't enforced. It was strictly enforced in high school for me.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1083238
    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1083188

If you look at the sideline, there's the main fat stripe that surrounds the field. Then a yard or two further back there's a line.

As far as I know players are supposed to be behind that line, I assume it applies to non-essential personnel on game-day as well. I'm not sure if that's a rule or not in the NFL, if it is, it certainly isn't enforced. It was strictly enforced in high school for me.
    Correct. I think everyone is supposed to be behind that line (including players) and they aren't supposed to go beyond the 20 yard lines as well. I remember that from high school too. We are both from the same area (Union County, New Jersey) so I supposed the same rules still apply for high school. I'm not sure what it is for the NFL. I don't see any reason for one of the trainers to be that close to the field of play. I believe after this the NFL may begin enforcing such rules if they already exist and establish them if they don't.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Mk1" #1083210
    I'm looking forward to the posts blaming Favre for this. I'm sure they're coming.
    I'm working on one right now as you type. :laugh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

The guy probably doesn't make player money so they won't fine the guy, probably suspend him from the sideline for a couple games.

If they were suppose to be further back I am sure that will be addressed also. They were all standing on a line, I would assume that was the one the would have to be behind.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Only the lowest level of eejits would admit wrongdoing and take his medicine if he wasn't really in the wrong. Seriously. Internationally viewable football highlights of the week? This can only mean that he is either a douch (as Ultra said) or a bottom feeding eejit.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Jets guys are too macho to move back for a player who intentionally invades their space.

It was a territorial issue.

Incidently, one of the field responsibilities of the weight trainers is to police the lines and make sure the players don't violate the rules by getting too far out onto the field.

Kind of ironic, isn't it?

This was strictly an issue of manly pride and a refusal to back down to a player who was menacing a group of coaches.

Stupid, but really......only one of many poor decisions that happen every Sunday.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1083298
    Jets guys are too macho to move back for a player who intentionally invades their space.

It was a territorial issue.

Incidently, one of the field responsibilities of the weight trainers is to police the lines and make sure the players don't violate the rules by getting too far out onto the field.

Kind of ironic, isn't it?

This was strictly an issue of manly pride and a refusal to back down to a player who was menacing a group of coaches.

Stupid, but really......only one of many poor decisions that happen every Sunday.
    I don't think he was menacing the coaches while running up the sideline and trying to get back into the field of play.

But how many of those have the potential to get a player hurt. The player went down, then limped across the field, and eventually did return to the game.
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast