Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jordan is offline Pro-Bowler

Javon Walker's contract unhappiness flares up......again

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=404183

Indianapolis, Indiana - Wide receiver Javon Walker's unhappiness about his contract, feelings that have lain dormant for the better part of six months, are beginning to surface once again.

His agent, Kennard McGuire, let it be known Friday at the National Scouting combine that neither he nor his client was close to being satisfied with Walker's $650,000 base salary for 2006 with the Green Bay Packers.

"Obviously, I think the salary is a disservice to him," McGuire said.

Earlier in the week, a source close to the situation said either Walker or McGuire had informed team management in the last few weeks that if Walker didn't get a long-term contract he would ask to be traded.

Advertisement

McGuire denied that he had told the Packers that, and Walker couldn't be reached for comment.

General manager Ted Thompson ran into McGuire in January at practices leading up to the East-West Shrine Game in San Antonio but said their discussion didn't contain any threat.

"We're not going to get into specifics about what we talked about but he did not do that first thing you asked," Thompson said. "We had some conversations."

Walker did threaten to hold out in 2005 for contractual reasons but returned in time for the start of training camp with his deal unchanged. In the regular-season opener, he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament and torn meniscus cartilage in his right knee, went on injured reserve and underwent reconstructive surgery Oct. 7 in Houston.

The 28-year-old Walker began his rehabilitation in Houston before moving to Tallahassee, Fla., in January. He is back in school at Florida State, where McGuire said he was seven hours short of graduating.

McGuire, who was hired by Walker last year to replace Drew Rosenhaus, said he intentionally had not talked contract with his client.

"We want to focus on getting healthy," McGuire said. "Then once he gets healthy, that's a bridge we'll cross when we get to that time."

As Walker decides whether he wants to play again for the Packers, Brett Favre's pending decision on retirement and how Thompson tries to improve a 4-12 team would seem to be major issues in his next move.

"But to be honest with you, he hasn't looked at any of that," McGuire said. "When I tell you he's in a vacuum, he is in a vacuum. If we look at anything else it will take away from what he has in front of him."

Based on Walker's tireless work ethic and progress to date, McGuire thinks he will be ready for the start of training camp.

The Packers have no intention of committing major dollars to Walker until they can see what type of player he is after the surgery. Walker must prove he is back in top form in order to obtain a blockbuster deal from the Packers or another team as an unrestricted free agent in 2007.

If a new collective bargaining agreement can’t be reached, Walker might benefit from no-holds-barred free agency in the uncapped year of 2007.

"SSSMMMOOTTT" & "Toine" will be the best CB combo in the NFL next year TRUST ME!!!

vikings11_27 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Javon Walker's contract unhappiness flares up......again

good read. would be nice to get him

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

what a drama queen he is
    We're bringing purple back.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

You have one good year and you think you are the sh!t! What a joke. I wouldn't want him. Not only cuz he's a cheesedick, but because he's coming off a major injury and the fact that he is overrated!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Gotta agree with majority opinion here. One season doth not a great Wide Receiver make. While you can argue that time is extremely limited in a Wide Receiver's career, there's only so far you can go in demanding big money before you come across as asking for something you haven't earned.

And Javon Walker certainly hasn't earned Randy Moss money.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

The guy deserves more money.. He is a solid WR.. Worth more the 650,000 or whatever..

I think T-tay makes more then that

tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach

Yeah hes a solid player but he just tore up his knee, who knows how good he'll be again. I'd be hestitant to give him any significant money, but he might be a nice gamble.

How do ya like them apples?!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I wouldn't want him on the Vikes. If for not any reason other than he tore his ACL, and it seems like most want to give up on Pepp because of his injury.. I would rather keep Pepp and take my chances rather than get Walker..

Vikadelic is offline Starter

If he can return to form he would be a major steal. That kid tore apart his knee but prior to that he tore apart his opponents. IF he comes back unblemished he has a HUGE upside.

Jordan is offline Pro-Bowler

He really did work hard before hee tore up his knee. Trust me he is way more than $650,000 and i would love 4 us 2 take a look at him next free agency period if he recovers very well.

"SSSMMMOOTTT" & "Toine" will be the best CB combo in the NFL next year TRUST ME!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast