Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jared Gaither?

laujesse is offline Starter

Jared Gaither?

This looks like a chance to steal a top 10 type game changing player in the 2nd or 3rd round.
    He has Ogden/Pace like size and mobility.
    I would love to see film of this guy if anyone has a link.
    He ran a 4.75 40 as a prep and posted a 36" vertical at 340 some pounds last year.

Here is the best link I found so far.
    Please post what you have especially if you have videos.

http://vikings.scout.com/2/655309.html?refid=400&CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5
    Tom Powers < Hetero

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Jared Gaither?

I say go for it. He's a huge guy, and a great athlete. I've read that he could go as a top 10 pick in the 2008 draft, and I don't really think we'll have a top 10 pick next year, so sign this kid up.

We need a right tackle, I've been saying it forever now, and this guy could really provide us with what we need. Then we can finally move Marcus Johnson back to guard, where we drafted him to play in 2005.

That will give us, 3 Probowlers, a second round pick, and a supplemental draft pick worth a first rounder on our line. Building around a line like that should be no problem at all, we already have the running game in place, all we need is a bit more talent at WR.... and if Moss doesn't pan out with the Patriots he's a free agent after this season
    ;D

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    We need a right tackle, I've been saying it forever now, and this guy could really provide us with what we need. Then we can finally move Marcus Johnson back to guard, where we drafted him to play in 2005.
    The Vikings have a RT - his name is Ryan Cook.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

=Z=
    Cook is a tackle by necessity the only reason we drafted him is becaue we were uncertain of Birk's health. Gaithers is a pure tackle, always has been, he's almost 6 foot 9, 350 pounds with super long arms. The dude's a monster and a great athlete.

McKinnie-Hutch-Birk-Johnson-Gaither

sounds a lot nicer to me than

McKinnie-Hutch-Birk-Hicks-Cook

That puts everyone where they've always played, and is a lot more talented overall... either way it's a solid offensive line, and apparently Gaither still has a lot of work to do... but his upside is tremendous, and I would really like to see us pick this guy up.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    Cook is a tackle by necessity the only reason we drafted him is becaue we were uncertain of Birk's health.
    I don't recall ever reading that the Vikings drafted Cook because they were uncertain of the health status of Matt Birk.
    If you could locate that nugget, I'd be eager to read it.

Yes, Cook was put into the tackle slot at the end of last season because the other alternatives weren't working.
    But that doesn't mean he can't do the job.
    My observations at the end of last season indicated to me that Cook was doing a good job.

And he's a beast, too, at 6'6", 328lbs.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    Cook is a tackle by necessity the only reason we drafted him is becaue we were uncertain of Birk's health.
    I don't recall ever reading that the Vikings drafted Cook because they were uncertain of the health status of Matt Birk.
    If you could locate that nugget, I'd be eager to read it.

Yes, Cook was put into the tackle slot at the end of last season because the other alternatives weren't working.
    But that doesn't mean he can't do the job.
    My observations at the end of last season indicated to me that Cook was doing a good job.

And he's a beast, too, at 6'6", 328lbs.

=Z=
    A second round pick on a center after our perennial pro-bowl center missed 4 games in 2004, and the entire season in 2005 due to injury, its fairly obvious why we drafted him in the 2006 draft. Even if he did a pretty good job, I'd rather have a potentially dominant player like Gaither.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Mr" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

=Z=
    Cook is a tackle by necessity the only reason we drafted him is becaue we were uncertain of Birk's health. Gaithers is a pure tackle, always has been, he's almost 6 foot 9, 350 pounds with super long arms. The dude's a monster and a great athlete.

That puts everyone where they've always played, and is a lot more talented overall... either way it's a solid offensive line, and apparently Gaither still has a lot of work to do... but his upside is tremendous, and I would really like to see us pick this guy up.
    Have you changed your mind? ;D
    Offensive line:

I am not going to individually discuss the line, but I will speak of them as a unit.

My main concern is Zone Blocking.

The average height and weight of our offensive line. Is 6'6 320 pounds. With the behemoths we have up front it makes no sense for us to run a zone blocking offense. Typically zone blocking schemes are intended for teams with smaller, more athletic offensive linemen.
    He are some examples:
    Denver Broncos average size. 6'5 291 pounds.
    Indianapolis Colts: 6'4 306.
    Atlanta Falcons: 6'3 303 pounds.
    Tennessee Titans: 6'5 309 pounds.

All of these teams have very small linemen all around, but all have huge left tackles for pass blocking purposes. These big guys at LT kind of skew my data, but the rest of the line is far smaller. Where on the Vikings our whole line is huge.

We need to move away from zone blocking and return to a traditional power blocking scheme.
    Offensive line is another position we will address in Free Agency, and maybe late in the draft.

Hopefully this offense can turn itself around next season, and get our defense off the field for more than 3 plays at a time.
    Mr. A, I looked but couldn't find anything on him other than what you posted, his size.
    Speed is the big issue when dealing with OL and whether they fit in a ZB scheme.

At 6 foot 9, 350 lbs, I would be a bit concerned unless he had outstanding/above average Three Cone and Short Shuttle times like the guys currently on the roster.

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php...&topic=32984.0

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

laujesse is offline Starter

I look forward to new info when this guy works out for scouts.
    I doubt he would have a hard time with zone blocking as everyone raves about him as an athlete and pass protector not as a mauler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZsg8EJQb4
    Tom Powers < Hetero

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"laujesse" wrote:
    I look forward to new info when this guy works out for scouts.
    I doubt he would have a hard time with zone blocking as everyone raves about him as an athlete and pass protector not as a mauler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZsg8EJQb4
    I was trying to get Mr. A excited.
    I think he logged off before I could get his quote up there.

Read his post a bit closer and you will see that he actually likes bit OT's.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

=Z=

Have you changed your mind? ;D
    Offensive line:

I am not going to individually discuss the line, but I will speak of them as a unit.

My main concern is Zone Blocking.

The average height and weight of our offensive line. Is 6'6 320 pounds. With the behemoths we have up front it makes no sense for us to run a zone blocking offense. Typically zone blocking schemes are intended for teams with smaller, more athletic offensive linemen.
    He are some examples:
    Denver Broncos average size. 6'5 291 pounds.
    Indianapolis Colts: 6'4 306.
    Atlanta Falcons: 6'3 303 pounds.
    Tennessee Titans: 6'5 309 pounds.

All of these teams have very small linemen all around, but all have huge left tackles for pass blocking purposes. These big guys at LT kind of skew my data, but the rest of the line is far smaller. Where on the Vikings our whole line is huge.

We need to move away from zone blocking and return to a traditional power blocking scheme.
    Offensive line is another position we will address in Free Agency, and maybe late in the draft.

Hopefully this offense can turn itself around next season, and get our defense off the field for more than 3 plays at a time.
    Mr. A, I looked but couldn't find anything on him other than what you posted, his size.
    Speed is the big issue when dealing with OL and whether they fit in a ZB scheme.

At 6 foot 9, 350 lbs, I would be a bit concerned unless he had outstanding/above average Three Cone and Short Shuttle times like the guys currently on the roster.

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php...&topic=32984.0

I'm not in favor of zone blocking I made it pretty clear in that quote you posted too. That's just an excerpt of a giant post I made about our entire team. Zone blocking still makes no sense to me. Gaither and McKinnie would be two huge bookends for us and would really improve our pass blocking. The interior guys are great for the zone blocking, but I would rather see a more traditional blocking scheme, and take advantage of Hutch and Birk's pulling ability. Having a mammoth T to fill for the pulling guard, these guys can really throw their weight into a down block on a DT and do some damage. But instead everyone is basically area blocking to the same size. It just seems boring to me, we don't take advantage of the size and strength that we have.

I'd much rather see a more traditional power blocking scheme.

Everything I've read about Gaither has referred to him as "athletic", but have not mentioned any specific agility tests.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast